Register now to get rid of these ads!

aerostar springs for the mopar guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by corvairsixtyfour, Jun 3, 2013.

1. BurlyMan

BurlyMan

Going to fabricate one out if a welding glove to get me by for a while.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. BurlyMan

BurlyMan

For an insulator I mean.

3. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

andy bern baum in mass has the coil spring silencers so does rar parts in calif,,

4. BurlyMan

BurlyMan

Thanks for the heads up. I was anxious to get them back n and check out the new stance, so I cut the bottom out of a small plastic funnel that fit the upper coil pocket pretty well.
    I was a bit disappointed in the amount if drop. I think I will pull them back out and cut off one inch. They may settle in a bit more as well. Plus if I decide to drop in a small block, that should sag it a bit more.

5. I did the Aerostar spring swap on my '52 Plymouth, along with relocating the bottom spring plate for more drop. Here's a link to my build thread, with a little additional info on the spring swap, including relocating the top snubber so the spring doesn't come loose in the pocket when the suspension is topped out...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=762258

6. defc10

defc10
    from auburn ky

Sweet, Great car!!!!!!!!!!

7. defc10

defc10
    from auburn ky

Where did you get them for that price?

8. God have mercy on that car

9. I am considering these springs for my '53 Desoto with the Hemi', the spring plates are on the bottom of the A arm stock. Anyone know how much drop that might give?

10. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

others that have done the moog 850 aero star spring deal say the car rides hard,,,i think im going the full O,E or maybe a purpose built coil from eaton,,,and a dropped up right,,,

11. I initially installed the Aerostar springs on my 50 Desoto. Really rode bad over bumps. I have since cut a coil but haven't had a chance to actually drive it after the disc brake upgrade and all the other "while you are in there" stuff.

12. '50, did you upgrade the shock arrangement ?
    By "bad", do you mean stiff or hard?
    Cutting a coil will make it stiffer.

13. I haven't done the shock relocation yet. I am not sure if I need to do it at this point. I had my hands full with the disc brake upgrade. Now it is in getting the interior done. It rode great (firm) on a road with a smooth surface but was jarring on potholes. This is my first experience with a lowered old car so not really sure if that is the way it is supposed to be or not. I guess I will see how the cut springs ride. Even with me cutting 1 coil out the car still sat higher than with the Aerostar springs.

I attached a pic with the stock spring on the left and the Aerostar spring on the right. Quite a big difference in height.

The 2nd picture is with the Aerostar coil, 3rd pic is with the cut coil.

Attached Files:

14. Don't mean to change the subject, but what size tires are you running on the steel wheels on your desoto? Do you get full side to side steering with the new springs?

15. They are 235 75 15. The rears rub the fenders a little. I am still slowly rolling the fenders a bit. I haven't really driven it since the new springs and brakes but so far no rubbing in the front. I should probably go down a tire size but want to get everything else sorted out first before blowing more dough on new tires when the existing tires maybe have 50 miles on them. Plus, since the car is more "hot rod" I kind of the like the meatier size.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  16. '50,,,,Amazon calls out the CC850 spring , and shows it, as progressive wound, the pic' you posted does not appear to be progressive. Is it?
    Are there two versions, can anyone comment further?...........Thanks

17. I would assume these are progressive. I went back and checked the original ebay auction that I won and compared to other springs and they look the same.

18. What are the wheels your running on the desoto?? I assume that since your working on disc brakes they aren't the original steelies. Something off a different car? Size and backspacing if you could.

I'm just checking to see if the combo I'm running now on my 50 dodge would have to be changed if I use these coils.

19. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

DO NOT cut them the Aerostars are a progressive spring you will turn them into Junk if you do,once you get your engine in you will see also Aerostars will settle 1/2" - 3/4" inch after they have been driven.

20. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I love the rolling stock on your car! I woulda never guessed salt flat specials woulda looked so perfect with a thin whitewall!

21. The springs in your pic are not progressive rate springs. The springs will be wound tighter on one end than the other end, standard springs are wound the same top to bottom. The springs i am posting are the moog cc850 for the aerostar. Also if your shocks are still in the stock location that is one reason for the stiffness, relocate them and you will like the difference.

Attached Files:

22. rockabilly-medic

rockabilly-medic

Does anybody have any pics of the Cherokee sway bar swap and the shock mount move? or can someone direct me to a thread that has it?

Thanks

23. The wheels are from American Racing called Salt Flats. They are the stock 15 x 5 1/2 with stock backspacing. I chose the disc brake upgrade kit from AAJ brakes that would allow stock wheels just in case I ever wanted to go back to them (or any future owners).

Thanks for the compliments on them...heck, I didn't even think about the whitewalls when I put them on. I am still thinking of wide whites with the wheels but again, why spend the $$ when they are new tires on there now.

24. desertdroog

desertdroog

Check out post # 13
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=821482

Gimpyshotrods can give you the 411 on it.

25. BurlyMan

BurlyMan

Thanks Jeff. Yes I really think that with a v 8 these springs will settle in nicely to the perfect stance.

26. StukaBomber55

StukaBomber55

Did we ever get a verdict if these Aerostar springs will fit into the 55-56 Plymouths? Can't seem to find a final answer.

27. I don't see why not, pretty much the same suspension. not much changed till they went to torsion bar suspension.

28. I should be able to let you know in the next two weeks. I have the springs on order from amazon (should be here tuesday) and I am going to try and install a set in my 1956 Dodge (2-Door Hardtop w/315 Super Red Ram) along with some 3in blocks in the rear. I will report back w/pics.

I have been curious enough and own a couple of 55-56 Mopars so it was worth the $50 to try.

29. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

If you guys are still using the original flathead 6 in your cars, adding a modern V8 will likely not lower the front end! In fact, it might raise the front end! Those flathead 6 motors were heavy brutes. We pulled a flathead 6 with its 3 speed trans out of a 47 Plymouth business coupe and installed a Mopar 360 with a 727 and the small block Mopar was lighter then the flathead 6. Gene

30. Not to mention the trans as well. Swapping over to a smallblock with 904, you probably save a couple hunnert lbs.