Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Doing Falcons Right

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconizer_62, Jul 23, 2008.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ain't got no stinkin' valve, either.

2. Hehe , being a Kiwi I get the Toilet Joke !

I fitted 289 and C4 to wifeys '60 which was a 6 cylinder and auto trans car .
    I have not wired the C4 Neutral switch , instead I used the factory '60 switch on the column.
    I also swapped out the detent plate for the column shift with one from a '64 Falcon so it selects all gears correctly. Swapped the sight glass also .

3. A stinkin valve ? .... Is that like the "whore" valves you hear going Psssht on the young guys "Tuner" cars ??? :eek:

4. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

If your dead stock '71 Maverick had front discs, it had a combination valve.

You can run without one, that's your choice, but telling someone they're not necessary is bad advice on a forum where people come for good advice. I take the side of automotive engineers over your individual experience any day. If you're omitting them on customer cars, you might find yourself at the defending side of a nasty lawsuit one day.

Can you give a part number (or any other reference) for the magical self-proportioning master cylinder?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  5. stickerdick

stickerdick

OK, I am having issues getting my group of buds who I hang with to agree on me doing a gasser on my 62 falcon, but I agree that a "true" gasser look has to be a straight axle, whether it be drilled I-beam or tube axle, but I kind of want the drilled dropped axle with the single spring or with coil overs. I did find out the car I bought already has a 8" rear, I will just be swapping out the 4 lug axles for some five lug axles and will have to get some 5 lug drums, I hope. Does anybody know if the 4 lug drums and the 5 lug drums are basically the same or not when it comes to the internal parts and the backing plates?

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

You need your buddies to approve the build? Are they footing the bills for it? ;) I kinda half listen when my buddies give input, and just nod as they talk. Then I build what I want, not what they want.

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I don't have a part number off the top of my head, but it's application is a '74 Maverick manual disc/drum unit, as recommended in the Scarebird disc brake kits. You and I can disagree all that we would like, but the fact remains in the thirty five years that I have been building hot rods, I use a proportioning valve only as a last resort to finely balance a system. And, I come from a background performance stuff that goes around corners as well as straight, so I am a bit finicky as far as how well stuff stops, too.

A combination valve is even trickier to get right and lots of trial and error to find the correct one if it's the most common non-adjustable type. Now, the ball is back in your court... What exact combination valve is correct for a Falcon with a six... How about the changed weight distribution when a V8 is added?

The fact remains that when I did the front disc conversion on my '62, I unpacked the bracket kit, went to my wholesaler and got the rotors, calipers, pads, pins, hoses, and master cylinder recommended for the kit. I was pleasantly surprised as I had used that particular cylinder in several applications before with excellent results. That doesn't make it "magic", just properly sized for the job at hand. I strung new brake lines to both ends because I am not particularly fond of reusing 50 year old stuff that is unknown to me. I rebuilt the rear brakes and did a new hose back there as well.

The first week the car was in DAILY service, after a fairly comprehensive neighborhood shake down, (I don't own late model "drivers" so my stuff gets used, ALWAYS, everyday) I was faced with a typical Phoenix maneuver when an illegal alien decided that he needed to lock his brakes up at a green light at 36th street and Thomas in rush hour traffic when everybody else was running at 40-45 mph. My car responded by stopping quickly, in straight line, without the rear end coming around or any other sort of theatrics that would normally indicate balance issues. That sort of thing was repeated many times in the ensuing nine months until a drunk decided to destroy the car parked in front of my house. Kinda hard to argue with basic success.

As I said, you can put anything you want on YOUR car, if you feel it's necessary. As for me, I know how I will set these up from here on out. If that changes, I'll be the first to post here. But please don't portray me as unknowing, negligent, or criminal in your pursuit of looking knowledgeable.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm with Chip on this. I have 25+ years in pro car building. I have no unhappy, injured, or dead customers.

9. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Guys,
    I'm not looking to get in a spitting contest. I started this by respectfully disagreeing. You decided to double down. Fine. I did my research when I did my brake swap and the research told me to use either a prop valve or a combo valve. You come along and tell me all my research is wrong, only on your say so, because your car brakes fine without one.

According to RockAuto, the 1974 Maverick manual disc/drum master cylinder is the same as the Granada, Monarch, Pinto, Mustang II, Bobcat, and Comet. All these cars (and others) come from the factory with combination valves. Far be it from me (but perhaps not for you) to second-guess FOMOCO.

Although Scarebird says you MAY want to use a valve, CSRP and others sell the valves as part of their kits.

You can visit Mustang Steve, VMF, Dearborn Classics, the HAMB, and other websites to see discussions of swaps. The vast majority of comments and discussions agree that you need combo or proportioning valves.

You can Google "Proportioning Valves" and read all day long about what they do and why they're important.

If your practical experience differs, well then good for you. I stand by my position that yours is the minority opinion and you have no business telling someone on a forum that it's the right thing to do just because it worked for you.

As far as liability is concerned, negligence is defined as deviating from the standard of care. In my research, the overwhelming standard of care calls for brakes to be proportioned and there's no such thing as a proportioning master cylinder (for this application anyway). As a result, if you or one of your customers has a crash that can be proven to be caused by lack of a proper braking proportions, you're basically screwed when the investigation shows that you left out a proportioning valve. I don't say this to be smug. It is what it is.

10. DAGONITWIT

DAGONITWIT
    from NO VA

How 'bout we get back to something a little more interesting? My junk's in the weeds. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1394684696.336402.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. DAGONITWIT

DAGONITWIT
    from NO VA

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1394685017.057046.jpg

12. OlAZGuy

OlAZGuy
    from Phoenix

That's what we need. More pics of you Falcon. Dick.

13. What the hell is goin' on inside the cabin? :eek:

[​IMG]

Yer' such a tease....

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  14. DAGONITWIT

DAGONITWIT
    from NO VA

It's a race car man! SFI 25.2 cage. It looks kinda like a jungle jim inside.

[​IMG]

15. Locoxp

Locoxp

Now that I like! Are you leaving it satin black or putting a vinyl wrap on it like all the cool kids are doing?

16. If his other race car (school bus yellow, LOL!) is any indication, I don't think so...

Posted with an IBM Selectric

17. DAGONITWIT

DAGONITWIT
    from NO VA

Can't afford paint right now so it is what it is. Gotta make some serious fender modifications for the tires but other than that...

18. Evilfalcon1961

Evilfalcon1961
    from Ma

if anyone in the New England area is interested im selling this 1961 hood with 48 louvers . was an old display piece at a louver shop if your wondering why its painted like that. straight and no rust , just very dirty [​IMG]

19. Evilfalcon1961

Evilfalcon1961
    from Ma

selling my n.o.s. cal custom spider caps too. they are dusty right off the shelf [​IMG]

20. redzula

redzula

Sent you a PM

21. longroofCOMETment

longroofCOMETment

this is a local car in my area, I hope to get more, an better pictures of it this year.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

another PNW car I like quite a bit, not sure if the owner is on here or not, but at any rate
    [​IMG]

22. AndrewnTX

AndrewnTX
    from Plano, TX

Found some Falcon motor compartment shots to share...

Attached Files:

23. DAGONITWIT

DAGONITWIT
    from NO VA

Hey Longroof, are those intake pipes copper?

24. longroofCOMETment

longroofCOMETment

not all too positive on that one, at first I thought it had been chromed and then sanded off, but it used to just have like a smoked clear powder coat on it so it may be.

25. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I remember seeing that one at Jubitz, but haven't seen the other one around.

26. 63 1/2 peregrine

63 1/2 peregrine

????? i bought my 63 1/2 sprint with new windshield installed but chrome trim came in a box. Does windshield have to b removed to install chrome. Any help is appreciated

27. fca2572

fca2572
    from Texas

Unfortunately the window has to come out to install the lower piece of chrome trim. The sides and the upper chrome can be installed after the glass is in

28. 63 1/2 peregrine

63 1/2 peregrine

Thanx for reply. info much appreciated. was afraid that was the case. hate to pull a new shield but gotta have chrome installed. building a 60's gasser. I enjoy the site. keep the falcons flying.