Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Matte on gloss black lace?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by snowfruit, Mar 21, 2014.

1. snowfruit

snowfruit
    from Ireland

I've taken a shine to the lace patterns. What I would like to be able to do is add this effect to one of my fenders. My car is gloss black currently and I would like the lace effect to be very subtle in a matte/satin over the gloss.

I've read through this old topic on here: Anyone done two-tone black on black (Flat/Gloss)?
    This is the effect I'm after, but in reverse (and lace instead of flames obviously) - where most of the photos in the thread above are gloss flames over matte body paint, I want matte lace over gloss body. Can this be done?

Watching some videos on Youtube etc, it seems fairly easy with solid blocks where parts can be masked off and buffed/sanded. But I don't think masking like this would be feasible with lace...

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  2. I would do an intro and declare an interest in Traditional Style hot rods - it's a tough old crowd here....

3. snowfruit

snowfruit
    from Ireland

Thanks for the reply, I've just taken your advice and introduced myself on the newbie thread :)

4. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

You want matte lace over gloss body.
    I have a 49 merc. sled that I did flat black with gloss flames
    From your discription you already have the gloss Clean all the wax and grime off of it just put the lace on the area you want and shoot the flat on, unless I'm missing something ?

5. AZbent

AZbent

Sorry to the OP, Chaos10 could you please post some pics of your 49. I would love to see how your gloss black flames turned out. Thanks, Mark

6. Gman0046

Gman0046

Wrong Forum for a VW Golf.

7. snowfruit

snowfruit
    from Ireland

Would the paint stick sprayed straight onto the gloss?

8. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

HAMB is not for VW Golfs no matter what old school touches you have in mind.

9. coronetfreak

coronetfreak

Love this thread. Shiny or flat its just a cool color.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Why can't it just be about the process , and limit the canvass'es underpinnings. :confused:

11. cavman

cavman

Why not just shoot matt/satin clear over the gloss? Would it not have the same effect without spraying more colour?

12. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Amen to that! I have one within the rules 64' and one few years out 68' Heaven forbid I use any ideas or help from anything I learned on the HAMB on the 68'.

Planning my next project to be a 50's ride, but I enjoy learning about and looking at cars from many era's. Vw golfs not included but it doesnt mean if a guy asked me a question about something I could help him with on it I'd tell him Fuck off.

13. luckystiff

luckystiff

you are wrong and right at the same time. laying the lace out and shooting flat clear over it would have a short life span if it adhered that well from the get go and scuffing it throws the shiny off......

BUT..... if you really want to do it you could always lay out and scuff the intended panels and shoot them with gloss clear then while still in recoat window lay out your lace and spray semi gloss clear . you wouldn't have to get crazy film build i don't think as i'd guess a coupla coats of the semi gloss would be enough to pull off the effect.

with stuff like this honestly playing with test panels and trying 3,4,10 different methods is the best way to learn. yeah it's wasting paint materials which i know get more expensive damn near by the day but it's another one of those you gotta pay to play situations. lots of stuff that seems it'll work in theory doesn't come out as planned in reality...ken...

14. snowfruit

snowfruit
    from Ireland

I'll go find a couple of cans of different clears and a couple of blacks i think and try your suggestion, see what happens.

Thanks for the input :)

15. Lace is for ladies panties...

16. Gman0046

Gman0046

17. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

NO it will not. Im not sure how you could put flat over gloss with out have delamintion issues... The paint needs to be sanded or scuffed for different paint to stick to it.

18. Buzzard II

Buzzard II

Try using an old hood and paint and lace it to see what it looks like BEFORE you do your whatever. Some lace was nice to use, some sucked big time. Different patterns looked good holding them up but looked like shit on the car. I would scuff up the finish already applied and then clear it and then lace it and clear over everything. On black you may want to shoot dark grey, like maybe off a Mercedes Benz. Check color chip charts at a auto paint supply shop. Remember to shoot paint in 2 directions and remove lace before paint dries. Try it out on the sample panels first, I've seen paint guns go through windows when it fucked up!

19. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I shot flat black over clear jell coat on a dune buggy without roughing the base and it has held up for over 40 years

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And traditional custom paint jobs.:eek:

21. No lace until the 60s..traditional I guess depends on your age

22. I'm not a painter at all but, wouldn't you start with satin paint first, lay the lace and then gloss the fender to get satin lace?

23. snowfruit

snowfruit
    from Ireland

That will be one of the things I try on my test panels, but i think that may be the opposite way around from what i had in mind. But i'll the various suggestions and see what works and what i like best

24. snowfruit

snowfruit
    from Ireland

Update: I've just received some lace samples that I want to use for this effect. Looking at the way the pattern is structured I'm thinking that i should shoot the flat first, then the gloss/laquer. The lace pattern is filled, with the non pattern parts being very loosely woven and thus 'open'.
    In which case, can I spray (matte) black, (matte?) laquer, flat /scuff it, lay the lace, spray gloss, spray laquer, remove lace in that order?

25. snowfruit

snowfruit
    from Ireland

This is one of the lace samples so you get an idea of what I was trying to describe - not necessarily the one I want to use, but all three samples I have are of a similar construction.

[​IMG]

And here's another - this one may be more suitable...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep play with it on some trial panels before attempting it on your own rig no matter what your own rig is. A hood (bonnet) from a body shop's scrap pile or other panel from that pile is a lot better candidate for trial and error until you get past the errors.

27. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

Being that it is a newer car and prob. has b/c on it. Couldn't you just wet sand with 800 lay the lace shoot with gloss clear? The background would be gloss and lace would be matte.

28. buckd

buckd

Winner winner chicken dinner!!!

29. luckystiff

luckystiff

not really. just because you scuffed it doesn't make it a "matte" finish. it makes it a scuffed finish. might it be passable in this case? maybe...

30. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Attached

Attached Files: