Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dash Indicator Lights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jseery, Mar 22, 2014.

1. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

I can't find any dash indicator lights that I like! I am looking for small indicators for turn signals and high beams and want it to look 50s time period traditional. I like the jeweled / faceted indicators but all of them I can find are large and stick out to far from the panel for my liking. Any ideas? Found a few that are close, but just not quite what I have in mind. Something along the lines of the attached photos, but a little smaller or a least not sticking out so far from the dash. Are there any photos of period correct dash indicator light? Any photos of them installed?

Attached Files:

2. snapper

snapper
    from PNW

jseery, Take a road trip out & stop by your local Big truck store near most any fuel stops to check out their large selection of regular & led lights. They should have what you seek at a reasonable price.

3. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

These lights are going in a 34 5 window. Thinking about using a stock Ford jewel high beam indicator, but wanted something a little larger for the turn indicators, but not as large as the ones in the attachment.

4. Canuck

Canuck

Using these in the dash of my 30 A Coupe, dash is from a 34 Chevy Master.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can get a idea of the size from the picture.

Lights are available in red and green and amber. Check with vintage English Motorcycle parts vendors.

Used in early 60's Nortons and Triumphs. Probably used in English cars as well.

Cost was quite reasonable as well.

I gave up on trying to find a small version of the industrial type of light. Trying to find a matching set in the right colors was a pain. There are some neat military surplus indicator lights with adjustable shutters on e-bay but I decided they were too large.

Good luck. Let us know what you find.

Canuck

5. Radio shack has all kinds of small lights. HRP

6. Kinky6

Kinky6

I don't know why, but I was just thinking about this while I was driving to work today. How about using a drill and a file to cut out two small arrows in your dash, then mount a green light and a lens on the back of the openings. It'll look like its supposed to be there.

:cool:

7. I like thinking outside the box

This would work but you could also use a clear dash light bulb and do what I did when I needed a green plastic container lid for the lens. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

V8-m likes this.
  8. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

IMG_0516.jpg IMG_0514.jpg got the ones in my 29 @ O'reilly's Auto parts, in my 33 are from a motorcycle salvage yard ,they have flat surfaces and are recessed

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  9. ^^Try this. I found some incandescent and some LED small 12v lights there.

10. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I like some of the earlier Harley Davidson items, worth a look at least...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  11. mIWOCy0uPU5twXdScQWNcKg.jpg

Attached Files:

12. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

13. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

A lot of good ideas! Thanks for the inputs, now I have some new ideas to think about.

14. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I restore British cars for a living . Depending on the years/makes , they have the lights like those pictured (both jeweled & not) in many colors , like yellow , green , red & blue as well as turn signal indicators that look exactly like the ones posted above with the green arrows . You can find them repopped through places like Moss Motors ( www.mossmotors.com ) and Victoria British ( www.victoriabritish.com ) . They're easy to install & look nice too .

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. stimpy

stimpy

aircraft spruce used to sell them . haven't been in one of there catalogs in a while , but they are online .

17. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

So far I like the Motorcycle indicators, now if I can find a source! Everything I find is ether overseas or way over priced.

I would be interested in any dash layout concepts out there also. Again, I am working on a traditional (1950 to 1960) style 33/34 5 window coupe. Chopped top, fender-less, flathead, etc. The dash will be mostly stock in appearance, but would consider any cool layout / arrangement. Any photos - suggestions - inputs?

18. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

Found what I was looking for, but in red!! I have found one green so far, but need two for turn signal indicators. But at least I know there is something out there like I was picturing in my head. Now the search is on to find a pair of green or blue ones.

Attached Files:

19. Run one red and one green. Like on a boat's navigation lights, you can run the red on the left (port) side and green for the right (starboard) side. :D

20. gatz

gatz

Looks great HRP

Another suggestion for turn signal "lenses"... I bought some "tiddly-winks" discs at the local craft store....and.........cheap

They're in assorted colors, which may serve other purposes, and translucent enough to let light through.

I plan on using them in my 40 Chrysler and just omit the BRIGHTS & OVERDRIVE lettering on the glass, when making the new decals.

The instrument panel back plate has 2 small tubes for those lights. The discs would fit down in the tube. May have to do some trimming.
    (The other 2 small buckets with the black masking near the large opening are for illuminating the speedo)

The panel back plate, from the driver's view....and the glass fronts that need the new decals....to be addressed at a later time.

Attached Files:

21. Speed~On

Speed~On

HAMBer Dashman sells the jewel lights you're looking for. I use them in my Model A.

http://www.dashman.net/

22. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

Nope Speedon, I'm looking for something much lower in height from the dash panel, but thanks for the input. Think I have found a source for the green ones I'm wanting! These are 3/8 dia and have the look I want (I think, never know until you see them installed).

Attached Files:

23. You haven't said what the gauge panel looks like, if you're using a finned aluminum or cast aluminum panel you can recess them into the panel like I did in the panel I made for my roadster. It puts the light about flush with the face of the gauge panel, and doesn't look bulky. Just a thought.

Attached Files:

24. FordF1

FordF1
    from Ottawa

Attached Files:

25. Canuck

Canuck

The English motorcycle lights are sold in the US by these guys,

http://www.steadfastcycles.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=89_96 have the Norton indicators at $ 16 each plus will need a bulb holder and bulb.

http://www.classicenglishmotorcycles.com/servlet/the-LIGHTS/s/31/Categories has them at $18 each plus bulb holder and bulb

These are a couple of vendors I found in a quick search. Not the one that I bought from, unfortunately I lost their name due to computer problems. Do know that I got them for $21 for three including bulbs holders but no bulbs, On Sale. Keep poking around on Google.

The ones they are selling are not original Lucas but are a decent quality repro.

The biggest problem I had after getting them was locating bulbs. They list as taking a "BA7s" bulb that no one here knew about. Found them quite easily once I found numbers used by bulb manufacturers, not just the type of bulb. Look for NAPA BP11009 or ALT N177222
    GE: 2696
    HELLA: 78180
    JAHN: 1551
    LUCAS: 281
    OSRAM: 3898
    PHILIPS: 12829
    NARVA: 17051 AND 101006
    STANLEY: 1272
    TUNGSRAM: 2695*
    WAGNER: 11009 >>

Should be able to find one of those numbers at your local auto parts store.

If I find the vendor I purchase from, I will post it. Think they were in the north west part of the country.

Canuck

26. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

FordF1: yep, that is the high beam indicator I am looking at using (have several).

Oldschool66: I am using the stock 33/34 ford instrument panel (steel) with the original engine-tuned stock 33 type insert.

Canuck: Thanks for the Bulb data!

27. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

28. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

My Red Indicator Lights showed up today. I attached some photos if anyone else is interested in a faceted indicator that is fairly small and is low profile. Think I am going to like these a lot! A pair of green ones on the way.

Attached Files:

29. Canuck

Canuck

jseery, going to share your source??

30. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS