Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration >>>>> 03/21/2014 • Friday Art Show <<<<<

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GaryC., Mar 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [​IMG]

Background is Blue/Green marble,
    with Prism Flake in clear over the first 3 colors.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  2. 76ironhead

76ironhead

Metalhotrodgirl your work is amazing.......

3. rollie

rollie

a new clock , and the underside of a custom 54-5-6 Merc

Attached Files:

4. Proto38

Proto38

Here is my latest of a friends car, patina and all.
    [​IMG]

5. ABBoston

ABBoston
    from Boston

Wow! It will b e a shame to turn that merc over!

6. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

Very nice...I like the "honesty" of the image. It looks like it could be from several decades.

7. johnnyjalopy

johnnyjalopy

hey Its been awhile thought I would stop by!..few from me....johnny

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. inkblots55

inkblots55
    from New York

]This is a project I've been working on for quite some time. It's a graphic novel depiction of the "many lives of a 55 chevy" through the decades. Here's the first two pages showing it's beginnings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  9. Offering's from the table...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. A little down on quantity this week but the quality more than made up for it. Good show guys and girls, I may even be able to contribute next week.... maybe

11. senone

senone
    from Belgium

Hi Rollie, been a long time! I see your work is still amazing as ever!!!! Really liking that clock!!!!

12. senone

senone
    from Belgium

Hi bro! :)

13. 55Belairman

55Belairman

Ed, you have teased us long enough, please finish the novel.
    Your buddy, Ken k

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Just wondering...

As much as I enjoy 60's style Monster CAR-icature drawings (or more realistic / stylish renderings without creepy-crawly drivers thru the roof), has anyone considered what they would look like with a little less severely distorted wheels and tires? I think I understand the total effect, but in some cases, many (if not all) of the wheels are pointed in the wrong direction or the axles / spindles appear badly bent. I'm an advanced gesture sketcher at most, so I'm certainly not going to criticize the talent here, but sometimes the distortion / misalignment seems way, way over the top. Gary

15. RamJet1

RamJet1

Well done, all!

Want to see more of that novel! I'm already bummed it was stolen from the original owner, wanted to see it go to his kid and become a hot rod.

16. A lil' Mopar action.

[​IMG]

17. Gary, good points all. I am one who does try to hit the sweet spot your describing. I like to add a sense of character to the car without blasting it all out. I also do some of the weirdo stuff but agree with you that it's nice to see things looking and acting as they should, without photo reference whenever possible. Then I present the drawings in raw form with all their flaws which, sometimes, means I miss the mark but if it achieves 'character' then fudging it a bit, in favor of creative license, tends to win out. I'm wide open to any critique you wanna give too, here or in a private message. Thanks for the comment, whether or not it was directed at my work, it's all good feedback to me.
    Mark

18. Mister Dave

Mister Dave
    from Aurora, IL

Just go on doin' what you're doin' Jigger. Art isn't about technical correctness (save that for the machines you drive) and you can never reach everyone, so reach yourself. Myself, I like everything you've shown.

19. inkblots55

inkblots55
    from New York

Ken K, Thanks pal, when I get this finished there'll be a copy in your mailbox.

Thanks Ramjet, I got plans for him.

20. JJK

JJK

Yes please…..this is a great idea and I love the concept!

21. With the exception of the reposters one of the best shows in months

22. spuds

spuds
    from Idaho

Yep its ART real good art!!

23. inkblots55

inkblots55
    from New York

I have a feeling the reposter comment was directed at me. I plead guilty by reason of senility. That's what I get for looking through my posts at 1:30 in the morning. To make up for it here's a page from my novel I'm pretty sure I never posted here...?? ​

[​IMG]

24. Thanks guys, both for the compliments and the support. Been drawing cars for nearly 45 years, by now, most of my decisions are quite deliberate and that's what makes it fun. The other fun part is having a community of great, like minded folks to share it with.

Great show artists!!!

25. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

For all, as I said in my first post, I wasn't talking about any individual artists or works posted here, yesterday, today, or 6 years ago. It's just something that I've noticed for many years. I understand the reason why these types of illustrations are "stretched" a little, they are caricatures after all. But some seem a little too distorted, or distorted in ways that seem unlikely in a practical, automotive way. You wouldn't put the distortion or wrinkle in a slick on the top, would you? Or have the front wheels wildly toed-out (before the inevitable wreck, anyway). Toed-out doesn't equal crossed-up with opposite lock out of the gate or in a turn like a sprint car. And that's why I notice it now and then. No offense to anyone was intended. Gary

26. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I don't know any official "artistic" terms but, WOW the stripes look nice on that bike.

27. Just so you understand, I didn't take any offence to your comment, quite the opposite, I simply answered your question as asked. A good question as I said earlier, by the way.
    I can't speak for all nor for the H.A.M.B. but am glad to for myself. It's always a good thing for artists to enter a discussion of their work, it helps an artist grow.
    If we're not open to questions and crtiques, then we're not open to becoming better at what we do.The real forum for this question might bre on the FAS artists group page tho, rather than on the FAS itself. Thanks Gary

Check it out... it's been quiet there of late...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=80

28. Mister Dave

Mister Dave
    from Aurora, IL

For my part I agree with Gary on a few points but that's an opinion of one. I don't often like every single thing posted here nor would I expect everyone to like what I post. Sometimes I just don't understand what the medium is (one shot? wood art?) and that's an area for learning, for me.

Jigger makes a good point of showing where art critique belongs and there should be that also, but maybe not here. Nicely done. I didn't know such a place existed until today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.