Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Real Story of the Ford Mack Ave. Plant

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill McGuire, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Bill I love your history lessons. Went to the Packard movie last night. Any thoughts to producing a map with all the locations of AUtomotive facilties? Not just assembly, but Mfgs plants, warehouses, etc. I think folks would be amazed at what we head here up until the late 80's

2. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

What Packard movie are you referring to loveoftiki?

3. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love these historical accounts. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

4. cayager

cayager

always love old photos of automobile anything

5. olskool34

olskool34

Thanks for that! Might have to take my T roadster down there and take a pic.

6. It's a documentary on the past and current state of the plant. Pretty sad to see such a piece of history crumbling. One of the last workers was there last night...one of the best things about living here in Detroit

7. How did you like the movie?

8. I liked it....would have liked to see more of the history of what went on there, could have cared less about the rave party's, I loved the old movies of cars going between the buildings, and seeing what it once was. The interviews with the folks that worked there was awesome. I am always amazed to see how beautiful things used to be built and how the areas around the city were so maintained. I would love to see those blueprints for the plant in real life. It is amazing to see how bad it's gotten in the last 10 years. I used to make delivers there in the late 80's. Do I think Pablo is gonna do anything with that site? I highly doubt much of it is salvageable, I don't think it could be a land investment because of the environmental clean up needed. Until the area surrounding it changes seems like a bad investment or an expensive pr stunt.

9. I really don't know what his plans are. I know he is highly regarded for other projects. It's hard to visualize what it will be in the future, but we know for sure it will be nothing like the past. That world is gone forever.

10. There's automotive history all around in that part of town -- on every corner.

11. I would love to do a map. In some parts of town you can put a pin on ever corner. I have also been approached about doing tours, which would be a lot of fun.

12. I have been offering up tours to out of town car guys for years. That area from West Grand Blvd to 94 and Woodward to Joesph Campau had the PIquette Plant, Briggs Factory, Fischer Body, Dodge Brothers Factory, and others I'm sure I missed.

13. And of course, change is accelerating in recent years. Sometimes I wish I had started keeping track and taking photos back in the 70s, when most of the original plants were still here.

14. Wedgehead426

Wedgehead426

Great article, thanks.

15. Have you done any work with the people at the Detroit Bus Company? Seems like one way to go.

16. Nah this is usually when folks come into town for Autorama, Sins of Steel, or Midnight Mass..I just try to show others the History here so they can tell others about it.

17. That's a great idea and a great service. I know people at Autorama in from out of town waiting 3-4 hours for a table at Slow's. There are better uses of one's time, in my opinion.