Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Hudson Jet Stock Car Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shaun1162, Jan 2, 2014.

1. sadayo

sadayo

Don't have a picture of the engine, but know of a Jet that used a 1967 Plymouth 273 from a Valiant with 1968 Mopar 318 Heads, a 904 B Automatic Transmission, and a 1993 Chevy s-10 rear with 308 gears. It also featured a larger oil pump and pan from a 1970 Dodge 3/4 ton truck. Not sure if they used what they had or sought these parts out.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  2. Hudson speed guru Jack Clifford ran a 308 powered Jet in NHRA stock class for a year or two. The tech guys finally did their homework and realized the combination was never offered by the factory, and his "little white lie" was exposed.

3. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

I think there's a guy that had a Powerglide he was trying to give away... It came from a running, driving Camaro that had a 250 in it (my Dad bought the motor), maybe I'll ask him when I see him.

Thanks Sarah- your site is extremely useful, and I'm sure that I'll be visiting it quite frequently during this restoration... I think I'm going to go white body, just not sure on how much red there will be. I believe it was originally all red, I can see that on every panel, minus the one door that was changed from a blue/teal car.

Now that would be a sight to see!

Sounds like quite a combo to me- how well did it do going down the road I wonder? Probably pretty well, the Jet's are light...

Did the NHRA end up banning Jet's because of that? For some reason I remember hearing that rumor somewheres...

4. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

Jack Clifford
    In 1964, while working as a mechanical engineer for North American Aerospace Division assigned to the Apollo Project, Ford Motor Sports Division hired Jack to beat the Chevaire race team. They were using a Chevy 327 V-8 wagon. The intention was to beat out the stock car manufacturers award at the NHRA world cup meet in Columbus, Ohio. Ford flew Jack and towed his 1954 "Hornet" powered 6 cylinder car to the meet. Ford knew they could not beat the Chevy race team without Jack's help since he held the class record too. His 6 cylinder flat-head blew the doors off the 327 V-8 Chevy by two full car lengths which allowed Ford to be #1 in the manufacturer's class. This really showed the possibilities of what a 6 cylinder flat-head could do, so by 1967 Jack made new history by using OHV sixes to go too.
    I have a suspicion that a Ford 300 cui 6 cyl could be made to be a very potent engine.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  5. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Some neat history there for sure.. Clifford has made some pretty amazing stuff over the years.

I've got a NOS Clifford adapter to go from stock 1 barrel intake manifold out to a regular 2 barrel Holley carb... I was thinking about running that on my Hudson until I found a 4 barrel intake.

6. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

i love old dirt cars! your 33 is bad ass. the hudson is cool as hell. cant wait to see how this one comes along

7. this will be bad azz once done ....

best of luck and keep the photo(s) coming =)

8. Hud I

Hud I
    from Tennessee

[​IMG]
    Here is a pic of interest. Hud

9. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thanks! I've always loved your AV8- pretty much perfect rod in my mind... That blower really makes the car.

I'll try! Hopefully I'll have some update soon... Trying to find a decent adapter from the 292 to early Ford transmission, as well as the mount for the back of the transmission- then I'll be in business!

Awsome picture! Thanks for posting- I didn't expect Clifford's Jet to be a 4 door as well, that's pretty cool.

10. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

This is going to be great!!! Can't wait to see what you do with it!!!!!

11. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thanks! I'm anxious to get back out in the garage.. Just need to track down some parts and finish up a few things in the garage before I really dig in.

Went pictures surfing... I think this is basically what my '54 Hudson "Jetliner" looked like when new. The guy that helped build it said he kept the continental kit from it back in the day (doubt he still has any of the parts):

Attached Files:

12. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Alright... Time for an update!

Been working in the garage mostly, getting my work bench squared away. Aside from the tools you see, and some misc. hardware, the whole set-up cost me $8. The cabinets were going to be thrown away after a kitchen re-model somewhere we worked, the plywood and other lumber was just left over scraps from other project. The steel is 3/16" plate that I dug out at a junkyard for $8- looks like they came from a big cabinet or something that was taken apart... But I cut it up and worked awsome for the top. Still have some more to do, and get things bolted down, but my grinder bit the dust so I called it quits for the night on that project.

[​IMG]

Also picked up a welder, Thermal Arc Fabicator 180. Haven't used it much yet, but seems to work good.

[​IMG]

Now, back to the Jet....

I posted a want ad on the local Craigslist looking for a '39 Ford transmission to use. Got a couple bites, and managed to score a '37 transmission for pretty cheap. The top and shifter are worth what I paid, so I did pretty good on that one. It's for a torque tube, but the guy put on a rear mount for open drive.

The trans with no top I picked up a while ago.. Also the '37 style. Might try to use that gear set, or find a good set of '39 gears to use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The guy through in a rear mount for a 37-40 Ford which is what I needed for the Hudson- only trouble is both ears were broken off. I welded them on for now, but not sure I'd trust them on the road. Anyone have a spare 37-40 rear bearing retainer they'd like to donate? :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Suprising the shifter falls almost dead on where I want it... So at least now I can sit in the car, shift the trans and make engine noises :D

13. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

14. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:cool:All looks good Shaun, now get to work !:D;) lol

15. Heart Of Texas

Heart Of Texas
    from TX

Hudson Jets had a TWIN H option for the 202 cu in flathead. NO, Hudson did not provide special order or direct from the factory Jets equipped with 308 motor. Historically there are several well known 50-60s drag racers who popularized the HORNET JET by swapping firewalls and adding 308s with the claim that it was factory stock. At first AHRA and NHRA officials took the racer's word... then the competition determined there was a FOUL going on... HUDSON JETS were then banned from Stock eliminator classes. Hudson Jets continued to run in altered and Gas classes for decades.

16. Heart Of Texas

Heart Of Texas
    from TX

Again the answer is NO, Hudson saw an opportunity to dress the rest of the cars and offered the TWIN H "upgrade" to the off the street buyer for the JET 202, Wasp and Super Wasps with 262 engines. In the past I have seen TWIN H on 232 motors that I know were bought that way.

Hudson Big 6 motors 1948 -54

48-early51 232/262 cubic inch narrow block
    51-56 232/262/308 cubic inch wide block

Narrow block is physically narrower across the head - wide block was the answer to fixing a cooling circulation problem which caused premature valve failure and seat cracking in the earlier narrow block engines.:)

17. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Here's a long awaited update!

Picked up an original Offenhauser transmission adapter today, and mated everything up to put it in the car... I was planning to put it in the car tomorrow, since it's going be 40 degrees out (that will feel like summer!), but I got bored and had to try it out.

I seem to have quite a bit of clearance for the most part. Firewall will probably be a little tricky, but hey that'd half the fun.... Hopefully tomorrow I can start making some motor mounts- I'd like to use the holes at the front of the block to mount it, instead of the regular side mounts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)I have been watching for you Shaun, one step at a time. A fun project. Spring is coming.:cool::D

19. That would have been Bright's Crankshaft Service on Ewing St. Great old building that looked like it had been an old blacksmith's shop a hundred years ago. Don Bright lived a couple blocks north of where I grew up. I don't remember seeing a Hudson P/U in the area but I do recall seeing an early 60's Ranchero parked up the street, white with the shop name lettered in red. :cool:

20. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Today I worked on the motor mounts- I think it came out pretty good.

I didn't want to deal with the normal side mounts, since they'll only add to clearance issues, plus I wanted to retain the stock Hudson mounts to make it easier if I went back to a Hornet 308.

I sort of based it off of the old Hurst mounts for V8's. There was two threaded holes on the passenger sie which made that side easy. The driver's side had two holes- but for some reason GM decided not to tape them. It would have been pretty much impossible for me to tap though, so I used the side holes for the alternator/power steering brackets at the bottom.

I'll take a picture when it's out of the car some time.. I've still got some finishing to do, but for now it's sitting in there all one it's own. It should be plenty rugged- the main part is 3/8" and the support pieces are 5/16".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Great job there Shaun keep it up.:D:cool:

22. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

It's coming along... Next thing to tackle is the steering. Looking into rack and pinion for it... I think that will be the best/easiest way to go.

23. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Today wasn't quit as productive... I did the old steering out, and had to free up the driver's side hub- that took a few minutes. Took off the drums to check out the hub set-up and then tried a stripped early Ford backing plate on there. Bolted right up and everything had clearance EXCEPT the bottom right hand bolt- it hit on the A-Arm when turning left way before it should have. Not sure what I'm going to do about that problem... And also, the aluminum drums that are on there won't fit with that style brakes... It seems like the hubs are really short for some reason??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But I did managed to order myself a rack and pinion steering set-up to try in my Jet. A couple guys on the Hudsom forums had some advice on rack and pinions, and I saw a couple pictures of a Jet that had rack and pinion steering in it so that helped in the decision. I found a nice, used rack out of a Chevy Monte Carlo, complete with tie rods, u-joint, steering shaft etc. for cheaper then I could find at any yard (plus all the cars are covered in snow!)... Maybe I can cut-up this brack and use it to mount the rack:

[​IMG]

24. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

[​IMG][​IMG] Shaun , Wouldn't this be fitting in your Hudson project?

25. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

26. Good Morning,So what happen to the Hudson Motor? a Hot 308 is just amazing! Try to get the Hudson Motor,forget about the Chevy! Uncle Bill

27. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Pretty neat that you have full floating spindles on the front...that was a REAL race car ...Lots of times they used really chopped up backing plates, sometimes for clearance, and some times for air flow...maybe that had modified buick brakes too...by the way, almost forgot about your print, will get it out next week.

28. Hello If you were running a 1951 and up Hudson motor!you have "Real Bearings" the didn't "Pour Rod Bearing " for a long time before that! You are Wrong on that one! A old Hudson Guy ! Uncle Bill

29. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Bill, that looks a little nice for my Hudson! Haha, I plan to make something like that, definately removeable, but still got a ways to go... Been doing alot of thinking about the floors though- they're definately going to be one of the hardest parts.

I have no idea what happened to the 308- it's long gone. I don't have the funds or the resources to track down a 308 and get it running, and I already have a 292 laying around. As you can see from my posts and pictures, everything I've don can be easily reversed and a 308 could be dropped in at any time- should I actually find one and want to change it.

The front spindles are definately a neat part of the car... I'm used to seeing the floating spindle only on the right front, but I'm guessing they used one on the left front just to keep all the brakes/wheels/etc. the same. They actually slip on over the stock Hudson spindles, and then bolt through the stock location for the Hudson backing plates- someone DEFINATELY put some time into them!

I haven't posted it, but I managed to find the right backing plates. We happened to have this spare backing plate with our other parts, and it bolted right up, cleared all the steering and suspension, and the drums fit right on like they were supposed to... I'm lucky to have found it! Still need to find one other backing plate. I think they're off of a Ford F250, around 1955. I happened to have a set of rebuilt brakes left over from my coupe project, and I compared them to the backing plate that worked and they're nearly identical- everything except for the offset. It does look like I can reuse all the brake components so that'll save a couple bucks!

Thanks for remembering about the print- I'm looking forward to reading it!