Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Stance

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Mar 21, 2014.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

2. Jay71

Jay71

Wheels and stance are everything, and this car has them in spades.

3. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

There are ALL kinds of stances, and they all have their place. Raked, Small Rake, Perceived rake, Flat, Nose-up, Tail-down...

4. jdubbya

jdubbya

That car just looks tough. Like said before, stance and rolling stock are key to it all.

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That car rules!!!

6. Yeah!!! And every car will tell you what it wants. Try switching the exactly perfect stance to a different type car and watch out!

But by far, there's no more important single item than the stance and wheels and tires. I'm such an asshole when it comes to that Its kind of funny.

My DD is a silverado , plain run of the mill see a couple thousand just like it every day. But when it's sporting her pretty shoes someone always comments on it. Funny, but true.

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

That 63 definitely has the stance("look").. And yes, the "Look" is everything...

8. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

Saw this in an old Honest Charly ad in Hot Rod! Have to wonder how many street freaks were inspired by that wicked lookin' Galaxie?!

9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I agree, that Galaxie does have a great stance.

..But I just can't get past the proportions. The small front tire and large gap from tire to fender just looks odd to me.

Malcolm

10. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

I agree.

11. I also agree. I like the stance overall but it needs a little more "tire" in front.

12. slowmotion

slowmotion

Agree wheels, tires, stance are huge. Even on a DD as 31Vicky says, can go from a ho-hum to damn, that's pretty cool!

13. Wheels first, rake second, then everything else.

14. one other thing:
    Any car in the world looks better with one size bigger than stock tires on the original diameter wheel or still better one inch bigger,.......
    ONLY one inch!!

15. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

I agree. Not the best picture to use for an example.

Look how much wheel well is showing above the front tire. Needs to be lowered in the front or have a taller tire.

16. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Perceived rake. People tell me all the time that they love the rake on my car and I smile a little. It sits perfectly flat. I like flat hot rods, but only from a certain period. That extra channeled, late 50s early 60s showcar look era is my favorite. I even like some of the slightly tail down ones. The reason I think the illusion of rake is there is because of the large rear tires in combination with the chop and the location of the wishbones under the frame.

[​IMG]

17. That's the first thing I thought too, needs a taller tire on the front, especially considering that's a big, heavy car. But what a transformation with just a wheel/tire change.

18. yes, great looking car but I too would like a little more tire up front.

19. No- there goes the over all stance with either one of those options. If you want to correct the visual Catch at the front fender - The front fender needs a smaller opening.

Went thru this with an OT truck. Up down- bigger tire, smaller tire- lots of experimenting. nothing worked until I made the opening smaller.

The hard part is finding what's wrong and exactly the cause of the issue.

20. syxxstring

syxxstring

Id love to see a stance by decade comparison from the 50's till now. Growing up going to the world of wheels shows in the late 70's to early 80's in chicago they stance was way different than what we choose in the Chip Foose age. Even Hot Wheels have gone from big in the back and smaller up front as time has progressed.

21. We (the hamb) can get you from the first stone wheels upto wood spokes to 1965 pretty easy. Maybe even a few into the early 70s that sneak thru.
    But if you want the long shackles, and newer that's gonna be tough.
    Who's chip foose :)

22. BucketHeadBart

BucketHeadBart
    from illinois

23. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Yep and Yep,

Wheels and tires start it all. Growing up, the first thing my Pops did was wheels and tires.
    From Torque Thrusts in about '67 on his '64 Impala SS, to chrome reversed and baby moons oh his '54 Chevy pick-up. He ran the gamut through the years, slotted mags, chrome wagon wheels, aluminum turbines, and now billets on his OT lowered dually. Thats where it always started, because custom paint, pinstriping, lowering, extra chrome, ect. just always looked out of place with out that initial hot rodder touch to the rolling stock.

Its in our blood, I still get the urge on our modern DDs, but then I get the "look"....lol....one of these days though I will sneak off to the tire shop.

Sweet Galaxy!!

24. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

Proof that you don't need to do much of anything to a 63 1/2 Galaxie to make it cool.

25. Tires, wheels, and stance are everything. Period.

I'd rather see the right wheels, tires, and stance on a rough unpainted car than to see a 20K paint job on a car with the wrong wheels, wrong tire combination and the wrong stance.

To me the Galaxie needs a taller front tire and then dropped 2 more inches all the way around. Rule #1 of Stanceology 101 is: On a full-fendered car you should NEVER be able to see the top of the tire at ride height. Unless it's a Gasser.

26. Makes it hard to turn no?
    Us fenderless guys must be in stanceology 252 :)

4" taller tire and 2" drop in the suspension will put the rockers at the place.
    But you will loose the 15x4 wheels which is the main goal of the whole AR TT ad.

Also the + 4 on tire and -2 on suspension will move the fender to tire relationship closer by 4". Maybe too much ?

27. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Low down...
    another take on the '63-1/2 Galaxie:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. With a 4" wide wheel on the Galaxie, (which has large inner wheel wells) I think the turning will probably be OK. On most '60s cars, I have found that anything over 7" wide on the front gets dicey and usually has an issue when you put 'em down low.

I think you can still use the 15x4 wheels with a taller tire. Not sure on 4" taller, though. I wish I knew what tire size American Racing used, because they look super-short.

Anybody got Photoshop skills that can help us on this?

29. Squablow

Squablow

I like this one better than the mag wheel ad. Still sits nice but has enough tire to fill up the wheelwell in front.