Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Why (and when) Fender Skirts Work...

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, Mar 20, 2014.

1. syxxstring

syxxstring

I should be but Im not entirely hating the skirts on that mustang. They could use some help just not sure what it is.

2. 50Fraud

50Fraud

As a matter of personal preference, I don't agree. I've always liked surface-mounted teardrop skirts on prewar customs, with some swelling contour out from the fender's surface like the '40 coupe and Lee Pratt's '41 Buick, above. And they should never have a flare along the bottom, nope!!

As a matter of TRADITION, I can't think of a SINGLE early customized car where the skirts were flush mounted. Factory cars like the Lincoln Zephyr, yes; coachbuilt cars that were intended to have skirts right from the start, probably; but customized cars? Uh-uh.

3. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Detail from photo of Shoebox posted above:

[​IMG]

These look so much like the ones on my Plymouth, which looked better when the fender was straight & the skirt wasn't on crooked, but which never fit perfectly IMO.

[​IMG]

Edit: I assume these are some kind of aftermarket skirts, to look so similar?
    Edit 2.0: If this car ever wears skirts again they are going to be flush-set, but I might make them from these skirts, which are still solid & functional.

Just ugly as hell. :D

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  4. mercsforever

mercsforever

Just try and imagine a '49-'51 Merc without skirts. It's like a day without sunshine.

5. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

I think Chevy's look good with skirts!

[​IMG]

6. flamingokid

flamingokid

Streamlined designs and cars with rounded edges always look good with skirts.Some cars look like dog butt with them,My 50 Chevy had them,my Dad's shoebox has 'em,they looked great.My mother had a 77 LTD Brougham that looked pretty good with them,too. :)

7. weez

weez

Flush mounted skirts, to me, seem like you are removing important styling from the car, it's supposed to be streamlining the rear wheel opening, not pretending it isn't there at all. Sometimes something looks more "custom" when you know it was added, you can see that it's an added accessory, yet it harmonizes. I think the edge and thickness of a teardrop skirt on a '30s-'40s car has a voluptuous element to it that is actually less interesting when converted to just a parting line. I know there are MANY exceptions to this, it's just what I usually like, and how I consider it.

8. Torchie

Torchie

Interesting topic.
    Some of us over on Riks site were having this same discussion a while back in regards to my custom truck project.
    I love the look of skirts as they seem to be a key element to the style of customs that I grew up admiring.
    I also agree with the fact that they work on some trucks, but not all.
    At this point I reserve my judgement of them on a car by car basis.
    Torchie.

9. 50Fraud

50Fraud

'51 Merc ONLY (not '49 or '50) Skirts had a very nice flare that is nearly in line with the bottom of the skirt -- it isn't kicked up above the bottom edge of the skirt, as the ones on your Plymouth are. Moreover, the '51 Merc skirts are rather tall; they have a lot of material above the flare, so when they are used on a shoebox Ford there is excess material at the top that can be trimmed off to tailor their size to the Ford.

Your skirts don't have the material above the flare that the Merc skirts have, and the flare itself is raised above the lower edge of the skirt. To make your skirts look like the ones on the Litton Ford, I think a lot of welding and rework would be necessary.

10. 55chevy

55chevy

What an ugly Mustang, skirts don't work on a wheelwell that is slightly flared like that. And the ones with chrome/stainless strips just draw attention, to look good the skirt should flow with the body lines/quarter contours and be hard to tell that it has skirts, a straight bead across the bottom of the skirt doesn't work either.

11. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Skirts look good on Chevy trucks from 41 up to 65 when they lowered. I have skirts for my 51 A.D. My brother had Foxcraft skirts on his 66 El Camino and it looked good because it was lowered.

12. JVK54

JVK54

I usually run skirts on my 50. The girls gotta keep it classy
    [​IMG]
    But sometimes we like to get a little frisky
    [​IMG]

13. 31 B'ville

31 B'ville
    from SE Pa
    1. All Things Pontiac

I installed a pair of NOS Foxcraft skirts on our '59 Bonneville in 1978 (Pontiac did not offer them for the '59 model year) and since then have never taken the car anywhere without them. I think this body style looks so much better with skirts.

Attached Files:

El Camino Kid likes this.
  14. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

I've contemplated skirts on a 35 3 window I have. i think you have to have the right stance when you run skirts. low works well. Makes it flow like a boat.
    jacked up say like the Mustang is a disconnect to me.

15. Made my own out of a shoe hood. Stock body but i think the skirts give it some character. I really don't care for it without the skirts unless i went with a different look like a hot rod rake.

Attached Files:

16. tommyduncan

tommyduncan

Anyone have pics of a 55-56 Buick with skirts? Not sure I've ever seen one and the wheel opening kinda needs...something.

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yup. How could you not?

18. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Do you remember the yellow one with slots cut into the skirts, they might of been molded into the body.

19. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Yes, and yes.

Attached Files:

20. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

21. Squablow

Squablow

Customs and lowriders with the right stance can look great with skirts. The rest of the car needs to have the right attitude to run skirts.

Tail-high stance, black wall or white letter tires, and mag wheels don't go with skirts, although I'd invite anyone to post pictures to prove me wrong.

22. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

You're right about that. In my photo the skirt is pushed up about 2" in front, but when you bring them down level at the bottom of the fender, they just barely covered the top of the wheel arch.

I might just ditch the skirts completely and radius the rear wells out some. I don't recall seeing a P-15 with either skirts OR radiused openings that I thought looked great, but I don't find the stock opening appealing either.

23. A Boner

A Boner

Skirts will work on a car that looks like if you drive it, it will scrape the ground.

Attached Files:

24. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Thanks a ton!

From those pics it looks like the skirts on my '47 are really from a 53-54 model. All the Mopar skirts from 53-54 appear virtually identical, except maybe for the overall size.

25. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Your welcome:D

26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the stance has to be in tune with the use of skirts. One of the fastest ways to get a 36 3W to look low and sleek, get a pair of 40-42 Packard 120/160 skirts, drop the ass end an inch or 2 and hang em on there. They're larger and have more contour than the standard aftermarket skirts for Fords. How low to go is another matter of taste. I don't care for skirted cars that 'lay frame', in fact I don't care for anything that does. Long ago I built some skirts for a plastic Auburn Speedster. Night and day difference for the better and the owner actually got tired of others wanting to know where to buy some for their plastic cars. I never cared for skirts on any late 50s to early 60s cars unless they came with em as standard equipment. Some rare exceptions exist, and yet when removed some look better yet. Think 62 T-Bird conv vs Sports Roadster. I love em on the right car.

27. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I like mine, I think it adds to the flow of the car. Larry :):)

Attached Files:

28. Skirts are an interesting topic. I had fiery debates with various people about this very subject. But since I'm swiss and neutral I tend towards the answer "Well, it depends...".

And I'm still kinda undecided when it comes to my own 49 coupe. The decision for the past couple of years has always been "no skirts". So, motivated by this discussion I made a quick photoshop. But I think I'll leave it the way it is although I can't really explain why.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Sorry, I disagree I love the look with skirts it changes the image completely. Don't get me wrong I also like it with out skirts, very nice car. Larry

30. 4woody

4woody

I think they can be ok with blackwalls (though I'd like to try'em with whites as well).

[​IMG]