Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What is it??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LANCE-SPEED, Mar 19, 2014.

1. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

A friend found this for sale but doesn't know what it is/was? I dont think the bed is correct to frame?
    [​IMG]

2. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

The kick in between the front leaf springs is the clue..
    Looks like the 55 dodge pilot house pickup I had...
    Dave

3. sdroadster

sdroadster

F1 Ford pickup. 1946 through 1952.

4. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

And the bed looks like it as well...
    Is the gas tank still there ?
    If it is inboard mounted that's another clue..

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dodge and probably early/mid 50's as Dave Lewis said. The trans will most likely have a flange that the drive shaft bolts to with 4 bolts and the u joints are enclosed slip joint affairs.

6. metal man

metal man

I did a quick search and found some good pictures of Pilot House frames ('48-'53). This is not one of those. They don't have the curvature in the front rails like that.

I have a '55 here('54 -'56) and it's not one of those either. The truck pictured has a different front crossmember, and it has a center X member....the '55 does not.

It's not a Ford frame of any year.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  7. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

the mystery car/truck? is the motor any clue?

8. firingorder1

firingorder1

Don't ask too many questions. Just buy it, take one wheel off and come sidecar racing.

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Pretty sure it's Chrysler, but I'm going to guess that it is a late thirties Plymouth or Dodge pick up chassis, '37 or '38 or so. The curvature of the bed rails is right, the kick in the front rails is correct, and the flathead six has the intake exhaust on the correct side. These cabs and sheetmetal were shared with the larger trucks, and although they aren't as common as Ford and Chevy offerings form the same era, they do turn up from time to time. They are also a damn handsome truck too.

10. metal man

metal man

It's not one of those either. I did a search on here and found a build thread on a '37. The front rails kick up, not in, and a '37 doesn't have a center X member. I don't know what the hell it is.

11. metal man

metal man

Come to think of it, I don't recall ever seeing a truck with a center X member, or front frame rails sucked in like that.

Lance, are you sure this is even a truck frame? I'm thinking maybe it's a passenger car frame with a bed resting on it?

12. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

STUDEBAKER truck. The bed is not the right bed for the frame. It would probably be a post 1949 Studebaker truck frame. The bed could be 1940's Dodge and possibly 1940's Studebaker. The engine looks right and the chassis has a cross steer system like a Studebaker.