Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. easter

easter

I think I remember this car. All blue with a long, low front - from the windscreen forward. White numbers. Does that sound right?

2. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Hey Denny Zimmerman, your mug is on the vintage photos thread #89661, behind Mario.

3. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

deek-found 1 photo of the 58 car at the 1969 Minn state fair race,photo is in color but not very good focus.Its a pit shot apparently taken from the stands.big block car by the headers and injection.does accurately show color and lettering placement if doing a restoration,programs I have show the car entered at the state fair from 69 to 72.dont have away to scan photo but could send you the original,call me at 701 484 5689 Tom

4. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Jim, Which vintage thread? What's the address?

5. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

6. barstowpo

barstowpo

I just saw on another board that Gary Bettenhausen has passed away. RIP Gary.

7. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Watched Gary in the Armstrong Mould car at Indy in 1980. RIP Gary.

8. deuce354

deuce354

Tom, I will call you on Monday. Thanks Deek

9. deuce354

deuce354

Yea thats it, any pictures? Thanks Deek

10. easter

easter

No, sorry. I looked at my photos and even in the IMCA yearbooks. I remember the car and thought I had a couple shots, but guess not.

11. deuce354

deuce354

Thanks for looking. Deek

12. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

13. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Maybe a little off subject, but I need some help. As many of you know I am restoring the Don Edmunds CBM #7 midget. Recently I disassembled the brake calipers and, not to my surprise, the brake fluid that had been left in them from 36 years ago had absorbed water, evaporated and left a mess. If anyone has any pistons, plungers, caliper halves, etc. for 175-06 Airheart Single Puck calipers that they would be willing to sell please PM me.

Anyone ever sleeve these calipers?

Carroll Hamilton dba Blacki-Suede

14. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you scroll back to post #21733 Old Dawg posted some very interesting info on the Gilmore #33. It ran INDY with several different sponsors, but Gilmore 33 is the most famous. Some time 35-40 years ago it was in the midwest unrestored and less an engine. I'd call every month to see if the owner would part with it. I skiped a month and when I did call for the last time hed sold it for $20,000. A year later a friend asked if I'd seen the OFFY for sale at the Hershey Flea Market. I hadn't and he asked again later in the day, I still hadn't walked around to see it. This time he desided to just take me over to look at the engine. When we got there there was a spot of grass were it had sat. Turned out it was THE engine out of the #33 Gilmore car. Joe Gemsa had owned it at one time and had his name stanped on it as he did with most engines. I think Art Sparks later put this engine in "Poison Lil", the single seat car. I finally got to see the restored car at Hershey when it was owned by a collector around New Hope, Pa. As far as I know it still has the original upholsters, think about that, sat on the INDY pole twice and had some great drivers and riging mechanics along for the ride. Bob [​IMG]

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^^^^^^^^ The #33 Gilmore had an Adams chassis, did he build the body as well? Are there features that help to ID his work on other cars? Bob

17. Paul Martens

Paul Martens

18. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

Here is a pic that I posted before on this thread. I got the picture of Gary when I was younger at Duquoin IL. on the "MAGIC MILE", I really miss that era of race cars, and the real men that drove on dirt and pavement. Rest in piece Gary I will miss you. David

Clic on the pics to make them bigger, Gary is in the two lower left hand pics.

gary bettenhauser.jpg

19. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

I don't want to be a period correct cop, either (great phrase!), but if it was a 1946 car it can't have been built by Don Edmunds, but more likely by Rex Edmonds in Texas. And maybe Mr. Lencki would have decked you for misspelling his name... ;)

What's that saying about throwing stones while sitting in a glass house? :p

20. Bob,
    As far as I know, Clyde Adams built both the chassis and body for the Sparks car (s).

I spoke with an old fellow at breakfast this morning. He said that, the last he knew, a guy by the name of Loeb in Torrance CA. had many of Gemsa's engines. He told me that, of anybody, this fellow Loeb would probably have a Sparks four banger.

21. And, a further thought: I wouldn't know a Sparks from a Miller or an Offenhauser. I know where Art Sparks (my age) and his little brother Jackie are; but, I doubt they'd know the difference either.

JK

22. gearguy

gearguy

Point taken. My apologies to the late Mr. Lencki.

23. Jay Burkart

Jay Burkart

Guys,
    I'm new to this board.
    In case any of you all remember the #19, G&J Engineering special from Cincinnati....
    Gus Gutzwiller passed away a few days back up in Columbus Ohio.
    He and my Dad, Jake Burkart were partners on this Sprint Car back in the 60's.
    Before that my Dad was the mechanic on the Doc Bowles Special over in Price Hill
    in Cincinnati.
    Jay Burkart

24. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Jay, good to hear from you. I have that car now.

Attached Files:

25. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Since we mentioned Rex Edmonds here's some data and photo on this 'Fast Texas Racer'
    Courtesy Bob Lawrence
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/91981316@N06/13278403364/in/set-72157642615906985
    [​IMG]

and I'm guessing this may be him being interviewed at the 4:00 mark at the 1933 OK State Fair
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XC_kziwwW0
    EDIT:
    "Originally Posted by Michael Ferner View Post
    This is actually Sig Haugdahl being interviewed, and since he's mentioning Speed Adams the year must be off, too - I'm guessing it is 1931."

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  26. Jay Burkart

Jay Burkart

How did you come by it?
    I never heard anything of it after my parents moved to Florida back in the late '70s. My mother was in bad health and he gave up the car.
    I've got some great photos of it as soon as I can scan them in and even have my Dad's racing jacket with the G&J logo on the back.
    I pretty well lost touch with the happenings with the car when I moved up
    to Indy back in the late 60's.
    What do you do with the car?
    I live down near Louisville now days.
    Jay Burkart

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  27. flat286

flat286
    from Indiana

I wonder if any off you guys remember Johnny Paul. He was a open wheel builder. and dealer for offey I worked for him when I was a kid he was a good guy..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Do you mean Johnny Pawl, of Crown Point? Yea lots of history goes with that name.

29. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Attached Files:

30. dweis12

dweis12

I was a service writer at Montgomery Wards in Merrillville IN, not far from Johnny's Crown Point home. Johnny would occasionally come in to have a battery installed. One day he was watching an kid install his battery( at a distance). The kid asked me who was that %%@ old man watching me? I told him about many of the things Johnny did, and how he was a an accomplished fabricator, machinest and mechanic. The kid started to stammer and could hardly install the battery. Johnny seemed like a good guy.