Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects *oldsboy*_T-sedan build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by oldsboy, Jan 11, 2011.

1. n847

n847

WOW...I have no idea how I've missed this thread all this time! Very inspirational build man. I love your attitude toward this build and the fact that your learning as you go! I'll be subscribed from now on. You guys are killing me with the model T builds lately. I've always wanted an A but I just don't see it fitting my budget any time soon...This is a new favorite build thread. Seriously one of the best looking T-sedans I've ever seen coming together. Your attention to detail is killer.

Oh and enjoy the wedding!

2. MoarLow

MoarLow
    from Virginia

Great build so far, the sedan looks great! Lost my dad a few months ago, he was helping me look for a T-Bucket project. He was just as excited as me to start building one, and very happy that I wanted to build something older. Congrats on the wedding!

3. oldsboy

oldsboy

Its happened. The building has begun. Its going to be a long road but one that should result in one lumpy sounding flathead.

Like I said, its slow but I'm wanting this to be done right, so I'm studying as I go and thought I'd share where it is at this point.

A few weeks back I posted a question regarding valve assembly installation and received some great help and advice so thanks to everyone that chimed in. Below is the result. I hope it's the right process. Chime in if you see something out of sorts.

First I wanted to clean up some of the machine work, relieved the ledge at the valves and added a relief to the lifter area for future valve adjustment.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Installed the infamous front oil plug and cam.
    [​IMG]

Then checked the crank clearances which came well, but I couldn't install the crank officially because I was without my upper rear oil crank seal. (unfortunately it went the way of the dodo as soon as it hit the hot tank. I'll take this as my official new-flathead build mistake.)
    [​IMG]

So without the seal I turned my attention to prepping the valve/spring assemblies.
    [​IMG]

I wanted to approach the valve assembly as a big methodical process. I began measuring each valve individually and marking tagging them individually with there specific location in the block. Then replicated that spring height on a valve spring tester and shimmed the spring to meet the appropriate spring pressure while maintaining the installed spring height. (I hope that makes sense.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So now each valve/spring assembly is set to its own specific height with the appropriate shims to achieve a uniform spring pressure of 75psi.

brEad likes this.
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

too cool man :) looking forward to hearing it roar!

5. xbskt

xbskt

Just read this whole thread. AWESOME.
    Anything new?

6. oldsboy

oldsboy

Thanks xbskt,

I'm just getting back into forward motion. I've been working on buttoning up the motor and having the chassis buttoned up soon hopefully. Over the weekend I took a little time to swap out/ refine a few items that I had in the back of my mind.

Thanks to Tim for the spare set of backing plates, and CTaulbert for the new rod ends for the radius rods, these are slick!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(FYI - I do need to finish weld the rod ends but I wanted to see how the fit so I snapped a quick photo.)

Shadow Creek and brEad like this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I knew that all went to the right guy :) a much better wedding gift than spatulas or something right ?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    brEad likes this.
  8. homebuilt hotrods

homebuilt hotrods

9. oldsboy

oldsboy

I know its been a few months but work has slowly been progressing. The flathead is in its final stages of going together. I'm just waiting on my mag from Mr. Bubba and just have to set the valves and install the gaskets. Then it should be ready to fire! Long time coming....

Until then I've been working towards pulling the rest of the miscellaneous items together on the frame, ie. Pedals, Torque Tube, crossmember, rearend....etc. As well as continuing to compile some interior goodies.

I'm hoping to get back to posting on a regular basis, the next few weeks I should have the frame pretty much finished up with exhaust and everything....

as for now, here is how it sits and a few extra goodies...

THis is the mag switch I picked up. NOS from 1942ish....just not exactly sure how to wire it. I decided to go with a mag this last month just because it seemed more appropriate so I though I'd try and find a nice kill switch and came up with this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what I'm currently working through...fitting some exhaust with a torque tube and trying to do it with Fenton headers. Here's the progress as of tonight, I'm hoping to finish this up this week.

Its going to take some finesse on the passenger side, I'll post pics of the progress.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and quickchanges are pretty damn cool. Thanks HRW.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man that cinder block wall makes for a great back drop! Cars looking good, I know it's been a slow road but when you get on the street and know every teeny thing has been thought of and gone over you'll have so much more confidence driving and so much more time driving than fixing!

Congrats and keep on truckin! Wait roddin! Haha

11. Can't wait to see more. Nice work so far.

12. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

I hadn't checked in on this in a while but man....I'm so in awe of this build. Talk about sticking with it and not cutting corners. A build that is as fab heavy as this one would do in most people but you just keep chipping away and do excellent work. Builds like this make me feel like a real hack....but motivate me as well. There are so many details in this that it would be impossible to see them all. LOVE IT!!!!!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  13. How'd I miss this? Subscribed!

14. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

nice ride...digging the creativity

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. Man this has long been one of my favorite builds on here. It just keeps getting better! What are you running for a radiator? Sorry if you said it before in the thread

16. oldsboy

oldsboy

Thanks Timm. I thought you might appreciate the cinder wall back drop.

Thanks Bugsy, it means a lot. That's what I like about the HAMB, theres always something new to find that keeps you going.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support.

Mike, if I remember correctly it's a walker radiator with a 3" chop. I do remember trying to figure out how much would have to come out as I didn't want to section the grill shell but I wanted the top to match my cowl height and keep the stock looking proportions of the shell. I ended up removing 3" from the bottom so it hangs over the axle. If that makes sense.

I can get you the measurements of the radiator if you need something to compare to. Just let me know.

Btw the roadster is looking great.

17. Yeah, Dan...I missed it too and I live in the same town fer Christsakes! Lots of cool cars coming together here lately.
    Nice sedan!

18. oldsboy

oldsboy

Thanks Rocky. Timm mentioned something about stopping by one of these weekends so I might try and swing by with him.

19. oldsboy

oldsboy

Tabbed up somel lake pipes the last fewdaysand washable to finish them up today. I've had this old torque tube laying around for awhile so it was nice to put it to some use.

I acquired some 2" and 2-3/4" exhaust and a few mandrels and went to town. I don't have many progress photos as I kinda ran away with it. But you get the idea.

I did have some slight clearance issue with the Fenton headers but was able to squeeze them in. I know there are other flathead headers out there that actually fit, but I'm just stuck on the old fentons.

Now I can't wait to get the engine here tho see how it all sounds.

By the way, what is everyone's opinion on running exhaust out the rear and being able to cap the lake pipes. Are these hoping tone way too loud? Anyone with experience?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is the clearance solution I came up with...ill box the opening when I tear it all back apart.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fancy exhaust hanger I know but I think it will work. Haven't made an exhaust hanger before...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Your tone/noise should be fine. I ran all of 3 feet of straight pipes on the 53 and it was silent at idle like a sewing machine and not bad at all around town.

Though I do remember tailing you home with a new fuel pump on the highway thinking it sounded like a bunch of angry Harley's haha. I think you'll be just fine.

21. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Are you planning on incorporating rubber in your exhaust hangers or just leaving them mounted solid like that?

I really dig how this one is turning out. Keep at it.

22. oldsboy

oldsboy

Thanks TS.

It's not the best photo...but the vertical "connection" is actually a piece of rubber almost tire tread material. I picked up a hangar from the auto store and chopped it up to make both.

23. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That will sound great! Keep up the good work with plenty of updates!

24. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Coming along nicely, Ryan! If there's anything you need at all, just give me a holler. I have some spare shocks like you're using and some other misc. parts you can have, if you need them.

The exhaust looks great and should sound good, too. If it ends up being too loud, you can always add caps and route out the back.

25. gus gustafson

gus gustafson

Hello ; I'm setting up a similar build , 27 T ,same firewall and 8ba ,but I'm real close on engine to radiator clearance, and might have to lengthen frame.
    Was wondering if you could measure your firewall( the bulge area) to back of radiator ? if you have that finalized yet.
    thk/u. for your time .gus.

26. oldsboy

oldsboy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well...the body's back on chassis. First time to see it all come together. I'm now onto making a list of the body modifications so everything will jive with the chassis. Much more to come...

Shadow Creek and S1B like this.
  27. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Sweet! I was just thinking we needed an update on this!

28. Sakke

Sakke
    from Finland

I really like the profile of your T. It will be awesome !

29. cody1958

cody1958
    from wichita ks

Bad ass car.!

Sent from my XT1080 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I love the way this is coming together!

I love the chop, the nice rake stance, drilled backing plates, the flathead, QCband the over all craftmanship! The whole early fiftys vibe.
    The seats are freaking Awesome!
    What are the seats from? Or are they scratch build?
    I love to se the plans for the rest of the interior.

And the roof and glass will change the whole look of the car. I'm looking forward to it.

Are you gonna run a magneto? That is so awesome! Please add more pictures!

Sad to hear about your dad! Will there be som kind dedication for him on the car? Since he comes up so many times through the thread. Maby a hand painted ASNF, because A Son NEVER Forgets!!

And again such a awesome build!!