Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2014 Meltdown Drags #5 thread, vintage drag meet, July 18,19&20 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. If Stan brings the Silver Bullet ,I will definately be there....since I used to own it !!

Rick

2. AHotRod

AHotRod

3. 62Furious

62Furious

I was at the meeting last weekend and they told us but I was side tracked by a plate of cookies. They were good.

4. powrshftr

powrshftr

I feel for you Brother....food related distractions have caused me to miss some of the most important moments of my life....Hahaha!

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  6. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Nice! Thats awesome.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 18-20 2014

7. im all for bringing roger to the event. im crew on that car. unfortunately that car takes cash to run. start a collection and i will see if they will come. the car has gone over 260 mph. as a vra legal car. its for sure the class of the field in the midwest.

8. Don't they already have about a dozen Fuel Cars that AREN'T getting paid to come? I might make a donation to see Adam Sorokin and his elephant devouring Mouse to come out, but I ain't paying to see yet another, heimi digger. Our money went to Gene Cromer and his BBBad Ass 427 FE Willys!

PS. I be happy to see any of the old school short wheel base Blown Fuel Altereds come, no matter what engine!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  9. Cookies? Are you sure it wasn't that crock pot full of bacon rapped sausages? :D

10. 55chieftain

55chieftain

You guys going to let the cat out of the bag yet or what?

Maybe just maybe will have to have a roll bar in by the time the Meltdown comes around the way my new combo should go. I really would like to go stick, but stuck with an automatic for now.

11. Hey Paul, thanks for the education, if you go for a ski soon, don't freeze your bones in all that below zero weather. ;)

12. I know who the two special guests are and I can't wait to see them again. It's been a while. Can't July get here any sooner damn it. At least the snow is finally melting around here.

13. A good clue might be that one worked for the other for a time "back in the day"

14. powrshftr

powrshftr

Don Garlits and Connie Swingle?

15. Your getting colder (and I'm not talking about your climate).

16. I agree bring in adam. Its fun to watch him torch a car. Three years ago at the march meet he ran after us in all the qualifing sessions. They set the car on fire four times in a row. A barn cat could not have killed all those mouse motors. The guys fire suit looked like a charcoal bricket. The engines with the rods hanging out of them were all lined up in a row at the back of the trailer. Quite the show.

17. powrshftr

powrshftr

Gonna need another hint....I'm drawing a blank here...

Scott

18. Oh good, we agree on something finally!

19. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

If anyone is interested in making a donation....ROCKY PHILLIPS with the EVIL TWIN should top the list! Please support him and buy a shirt.
    He truly gets what we are doing and is driving 4000 + miles to attend with a one of a kind FED.
    The Meltdown is NOT and NEVER will be about how fast your car is or boosting you ego....it is about connecting with the past and reliving 3 full days of HISTORY!

20. you will never relive the past without trying to go fast and win. have you ever looked way down track and seen that big thing all lit up with a time and mph on it. those bright lights are a score board. they are there to keep score and determine a winner. if they were not important they would not be there. don't kid your self winning was important back then. if you really want to relive the racing history in all its amazing wonder you have to accept the fact winning was important and the competition is what drove a lot of guys to the track in the first place. they went to the track for bragging rights or for a trophy or money. you can be competitive and still have fun. i will throw in the first hundred dollars to get the orange crate in from iowa.

21. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Thank you Falfa'! RacerX, sure racers will be racers but the enjoyment I get is how I get to the finish line......not very quick but I still get goosebumbs thinking of the rush I get looking at the tires blazing away along side me. If these style events were only about how quick & fast you could go it would turn into being about money and just another Nostalgia Drag Race. I can go to Famoso for that 100 miles down the road. Just my opinion :D

22. beebee78

beebee78
    from illinois

Money and egos is what has ruined drag racing as we know it today? The average outta your garage guy cannot compete with corporate sponsors and deep pockets of today's big stars of drag racing!! Money and egos and trophys bring out the cheaters? I run my car for the fun of it and the friendships made, woulda never met the group of guys I hang with or been involved in this great event we call the Meltdown!!!

23. the average guy can have fun and compete there is only a ego if someone brings one. the history of drag racing will always include the racers drive to win regardless of their financial situation. don't try to rewrite the story to your liking.

24. It is quite obvious you still think this event needs to have a winner or some kind of payouts to be cool. But the fact is it will NEVER be about winning or money PEROID. No one gives 2 shits how fast anyone is to be honest. You will see as this event grows that no one cares it is all for fun. Anyone that thinks there needs to be a winners and keep track of who runs how fast needs to just stay home because that is not what it is about. I'm sure everyone realizes that winning was a big deal back then but The Meltdown is not about winning or trying to make money IT IS FOR FUN and if you look into how far people are traveling to attend the event with and without cars you will see no one cares about winning or money. There are people paying thousands of dollars to haul a car for simple enjoyment of being there and having fun. I grantee this event is making drag racing history.

25. beebee78

beebee78
    from illinois

Talking about the big show pal, you used to be able to build a dragster in your garage and compete with the best of them, average joe can't compete in top fuel today? Back in the day you could ever hear of the Surfers ?

26. a couple of pit pics from last year,,,showing the variety of cars...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. powrshftr

powrshftr

Adam Sorokin's dad Mike drove that car.
    They ran with NO budget and walloped a lot of big dollar cars.

The story goes,they used to ride skateboards around in the pits,and ask the pro teams what they were doing when they were tearing down their engines between rounds....That would have been priceless to see.:)

Scott

28. beebee78

beebee78
    from illinois

Woulda been awesome to see! you Mr Scott, are correct!! Great story!

29. Cant wait to meet you and watch you run. You get it like the thousands of others. Thank you for the hard work and effort to make The Meltdown we are proud to have you and all the others attend without you guys it wouldn't be possible. see you in July Jeff