Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Trans identification help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1954fordkustom, Mar 17, 2014.

1. 1954fordkustom

1954fordkustom

Hey guy I just picked up this trans from a buddy of mine. I know it's a ford 3 speed with od. I'm thinking of putting it in my 54 and to find out what it's out. Any info would help here is the number I pulled off of it. AF-7008-A 21

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Pictures Please.....

3. 1954fordkustom

1954fordkustom

Here ya go. It has a truck bell housing. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395113607.437852.jpg

4. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Looks like the heavy duty T-85 version. With the Truck bellhousing, my guess is it came out of a 1960 something F100. It would have been either behind a Y-Block or FE. You should be able to tell from the bellhousing pattern which it was.

FE (at bottom) I don't have a good Y-block pic to compare it against.
    [​IMG]

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Hard to tell from the angle of the pic if it's the HD T-85 or the more common T-86.

A side view would reveal which. The T-85 side cover is curved on the lower edge, like the T-10 4 speed that was based on the T-85, whereas, the T-86 has a straight lower edge.

6. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

That hydraulic clutch tells me its from a 1957-1960 Ford truck. Those came with either a Y-Block or a 223 6-cyl... the FE's didn't get used in the Trucks until 1965, and those had mechanical clutch linkages. Hope this helps.

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hnstray...
    The T86 ('56-'59) had an open top with shift bosses cast into the case. I put 11 of those b**tards in my fast 292" '56 convert...(3 broken cases, numerous clusters & input shafts)

The parts guys at San Jose Ford said the T86 was a 'heavy duty' box. I should have replaced it with a T85. (I was a stubborn kid then)

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

hmmm...can't argue with your experience, Mike,...but your comments do confuse me. I have had some shoebox Fords, '49/'51 era, that had (what I feel sure were) T-86 transmissions, a couple with OD, the others not. They were all side cover types. On the other hand, I had a 3 spd/OD from a '63 Galaxy that was clearly marked (cast in case) T-86 and it was, as you describe, a top loader with cast in bosses on the side for shift shafts.

Is it possible there is more than one version of BW T-86 case design over the years?

Ray

9. 1954fordkustom

1954fordkustom

It was behind a 292. I guess my question would be if its from a truck how well would it work behind my ford 2 door

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

As a viable transmission for a passenger car, it should work just fine. The pickup truck 3 speed transmissions had ratios the same as, or similar too, passenger cars.

However, you have a problem in that there does not appear to be a rear mount pad on the tail housing. Perhaps a suitable mount pad could be fabricated to bolt to the rear of the main case where the tail housing bolts on.

If you are wanting to use the bell housing as well, it would require adapting a master cylinder to operate the hydraulic slave cylinder for the clutch fork.

11. 1954fordkustom

1954fordkustom

Hnstray it does have a rear mount. I also have a passenger car manual bell housing which looks like it should all bolt together. I would like to ditch the hydraulic clutch if possible.

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Sounds like you are all set.......:)

I did look closer at the pic and think I see a tip of the pad directly across from the solenoid....missed that first time around, was looking for something more prominent.