Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A Nice Stocker Gets The Axe- Chopping a 31 Desoto Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jalopykid, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Pedro, are those headers CAST? Either way, they go with the rest of this class act!

2. Cast... repops of Fentons. Thanks!

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

4. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks great! Be cautious about the ignition system you use! Wouldn't want to upset anyone. :rolleyes::D

vic

5. You guys nailed a stance and style so far that fits no definitions! I really dig it man.

6. DirtyJoe

DirtyJoe

Man, I can't wait to see this with the hood and grill back on. It looks killer. Great job.

7. Got hood!

Attached Files:

kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  8. flat286

flat286
    from Indiana

Red wheels would be killer..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

This is going to be one of the best coupes out there. The best part is, it's not a ford....and I'm a ford guy.

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. DirtyJoe

DirtyJoe

Looking sharp.

11. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

I don't think I've asked you. Are you running stock headlights? or painted BLC's?? or...

12. alchemy

alchemy

So far this has the look of a very sneaky hot rod. With the stockish colors and big original wires, it looks like it could have been a Desoto factory prototype. The chop looks like something the designers would have come up with, but the engineers would later raise up to make room for Grandpa's hat.

13. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

People unfamiliar with Mopars will never know it is chopped. Really nice transition.

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. olskool34

olskool34

Wow this car is really turning out nice! Leaving the wheels black? I would, makes it look very aggressive. Great work as always.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Factory Autorama show car or a coachbuilt "sports model" built for someone who wanted a special vehicle but didn't want to be seen as a show off with one of the high dollar vehicles of the time.

I'd say that Pedro and Jalopykid have carried off one of the slickest transformations I have seen in a while and nailed it. I can see a 35 year old Montana Banker having that car built and delivered because while he could well afford a Chrysler 8 coupe with all the bells and whistles he didn't want the local farmers and ranchers to think he was being extravagant with "their" money and the Desoto would be seen as being a conservative car.

16. Today's progress ~ Right side fenders and running boards, headlight bar, cowl lights, and the super rare S&M fog light.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  17. MTABike

MTABike

Cooper looks like he approves

18. Great work guys. I like subtle changes that keeps them guessing.

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Wow! Cool car! I'm excited to see it with the dropped axle. I'll bet it'll sound neat too.

20. Cusco

Cusco
    from Europe

21. evil clown

evil clown
    from Verona, WI

Very cool build! It's nice to see somebody doing their own thing, thinking out of the box.

My 2 cents (since you didn't ask :)) dropping the headlight bar 4 to 6 inches would really bring the front end out of the sky visually. Or maybe even mounting that cool fog light upside down? That would create a V shape with the three lights.

You're doing a great job! I can't wait to see it all finished going down the road.

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. The front end is still a work in progress. The "fog" light was supposed to be a "driving" light, but I dropped the clear fluted lens during install :eek:, so I don't know if it's staying on there if I don't find another clear one that's not stupid money.

The headlights are getting switched to '33 Chryslers, which has been the plan all along.

I was analyzing dropping the light bar yesterday. There isn't much room between the fenders and grill shell to lower them, and I hate headlights that are mounted too far forward. The Chryslers are even bigger than the Desotos. I won't know for sure until I modify them headlights for mounting.

The goal is to find a balance between stock and hotrod and keep people guessing...

Thanks for the input,

Pedro

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. mramc1

mramc1

Car looks freaking awesome. Motor is way trick.

AmishMike likes this.
  24. very nice job. the pics look all too familiar. i did the deed on a 31 chrysler cm-6. i wish i would have kept the rear window the original size. you will really like the extra view out of it.

25. chickenshift

chickenshift

I am really diggin this!!!!!

26. sure makes a statement!

27. 70kid

70kid
    from Denver

Man does a Mopar look better that a Ford or what!!

Bonneville 2014???

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. Final assembly of the F head begins! f head assembly.jpg

kiwijeff, volvobrynk and UNCLECHET like this.
  29. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Been thinking about this project a lot lately. Any progress?