Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A Coupe showing different chops

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wex65, Mar 14, 2014.

1. luckys8ba

luckys8ba

I'm 6'1" tall and it's snug but I'm a fan of looks before function I guess.

powrshftr and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Best thread idea. Would be cool to see with other makes and models. Thanks for doing it .

3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The chop should match the rest of the mods. Racer mods look good with heavy chops, more conservative hot rods like an easy chop. I always thought 3, maybe 3 1/2 was perfect because it keeps the quarter window looking like it did when stock. Regardless of the amount chosen, if it's not too much they look better leaving the rear window the stock size. But wait, there's more. Leaving the tall rear window seems to lower the profile that much more because there's less mass around it. Just some observations over the years. I couldn't chop my pickup 2". The visor already fucks with traffic lights. It could be because I'm 6'2", maybe, I dunno...

4. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Glad to see the thread is useful, I will add a stock height A later today.

I myself am trying to decide on a chop for my newly acquired A, hence my wanting to put together an easy visual guide. I fully appreciate the fact that other factors (frame, channeled, wheel size/stance) will impact the look but this at least gives a good reference.

5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Cool dog^^^...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. dan31

dan31

2" with a 4" channel and only 1" out of the back window

7. sponge

sponge
    from Austin tx

this is unchopped on a model a frame. no channel.

[​IMG]

8. silversink

silversink

This is the way us 6' and overs have to have it---my biggest problem is getting the size 13s in the door

9. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

exactly. i'm just over 6' tall and i do have to bend down more than i like to see under the visor at a light, and my 30 coupe has no chop. some will say "lower your seat", but thats not gonna do it if your legs are long too. i will say that i am still running my package tray behind the seat though. also, the door to window ratio looks out of whack on the heavy chopped ones to me. they look to thick at the bottom.

10. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Thanks, will add this as the unchopped control photo...

11. flthd31

flthd31

I've built a few A coupes. Here's some to add to the thread.
    Consider getting rid of the package tray if you chop more than 3 inches and cross brace the body under the rear window. Then move the seat back to your personal preference. Also, leaning the seat back a few degrees helps vision somewhat.

In my opinion, you can't chop an A coupe too much. The more it's chopped the more attitude it has. They're small. If you can't fit in it...don't build one.

2 inch
    [​IMG]

3 inch
    [​IMG]

4 inch
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    m.ralph likes this.
  12. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

13. Its crazy how much different they look on
    a 32 frame vs A frame
    fenders vs fenderless

54caddy-nice 31

m.ralph likes this.
  14. thanks! I get it at 6'2 Really like the look of a 4 inch but channeled the frame width. I need to ride in one similar to that or build up my floor and tape off the window to get a real feeling of how tight it would be, before I cross the bridge and cannot come back

15. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

This thread rocks! I'm deciding between 4" and 5" chop and it's really helpful.

I'm wondering how tight it is in this car since it looks to be channeled as well. If anyone has info on this please let me know!

16. Fenders

Fenders

The missing one -- 2-1/2 inches (not mine):

Attached Files:

17. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I went w/ a 2'' chop.............

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. A Rodder

A Rodder

My green and black Coupe is at the top of the thread, I am glad you found it useful and worthy of the thread.

Honestly if your six feet tall like I am, they're a pain to see out of stock.
    just suck it up, chop it up, and deal with it :)

I keep telling myself that the next one Will be 1.5 to maybe two inches. I can't do it though. Since then the tudor was four and the last coupe only went three....but that particular one is all stock other then wheels and lowered front.

I thought think Highlander mentioned, but h whole package has to work together.

19. sponge

sponge
    from Austin tx

Hey A Rodder is your the green black coupe on the A frame with the 4" chop . Mine is the top black one I chopped and I was thinking yours looks great and as mine is on an A frame do you have any more pics as I might chop the same. Looks awesome by the way.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  20. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

My '31...with a 3 1/2" chop.

Attached Files:

Dannerr and slimcat7m3 like this.
  21. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Great thread idea. Thanks to everyone who's posted photos with chop info.
    4"-5" seems ideal for good proportions, but I do like how bad ass a 7-8" chop looks.

22. This thing just slays me!

I love it.

[​IMG]

23. A- rodder your is hands down my favorite. I absolutely love it.

24. mike bowling

mike bowling

Current project ; before and after. 3" boys regular ( I'm a scaredy cat but I like the proportions) Excellent thread, thanks. Mike from Mass. Pictures kinda suck-small garage.

Attached Files:

25. Yes, there's a huge visual impact. A 32 Frame visually adds 6" to the body under the doors & with aprons with boards visually adds 9". It depends how you look at it and then how you would describe what you see but it makes the car look thicker and lower by decreasing the distance to the ground, also where the lowest visual line dissects the centerline of the wheels.

If you look at stock a, it's just a tiny bit too tall in the roof, then when the fenders and aprons off and it looks like the roof line gets taller, by about 4" :eek:. That's what the visual reduction off the bottom does to the proportions. A little trick to visually increase the proportion change of a chop without actually loosing inside room but gaining it is to move the bottom bead line down- away from the windows. Then reposition the roof line (including the entire car) further from the frame and floor. Easy to do if the car is getting lower patches and a new floor anyway.
    Just dropping the patches down, visually channels the car and covers part of the frame. One could also take a 32 frame and add a rear kick and c notch then sweep the front of the frame to get lower- lots of work no? Then you need to fart around with radiators, chopped grills, possibly changing rear wheel well radius, and the suspension adjustments to get it all to fit without dragging the oil pan or a huge transmission hump. How about increasing the 6" portion of the frame to 8" by adding it above the lower bead reveal and moving that down while leaving the top profile the same.

The coupe in post 1 and again in post 52 with an 8" chop, actually appears to have a taller amount above the belt line and below the window because of the smaller window openings. If that were mine, I'd have to fix that by sectioning that area out and increasing the window opening size.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  26. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

In post one original or 3,5". With 32 rails a totally diffrent ballgame....

27. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I really like that one at 8"! That's down right nasty looking. Mine is at 5". ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395490577.581055.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. A Rodder

A Rodder

Thank you guys for the compliments.

Although I can honestly say I don't think it will look better.... I have pulled my coupe body off and am putting it on a 32 frame with a flathead.

That old chassis found its way under a tudor I chopped.

Progress on my green coupe should commence this spring.

There is a thread in my signature line.

29. I feel they look the best with an A frame under.

plus, then you can have a true AV8 like dsiddons, nice coupe sir!

30. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

I gotta admit I really like the big 8" chop but then how the hell could you be comfortable in that. Cool over function is your choice....