Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 215 Buick Olds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bogart62, Mar 15, 2014.

1. bogart62

bogart62

Would this engine be too light to go in a '32 Roadster build? They're kinda different and I like different.
    Don't know about the weight factor or lack of it that would be problematic. Thanks!

2. aaggie

aaggie

Low weight is always a plus but the lack of aftermarket goodies and high cost of parts will get your attention.

If different is important consider something like a Turbo 4-banger from a SVT Thunderbird or maybe an Ecotech from a Saab with a T-5.

I think the Olds/Buick engine evolved into the 3500 Rover and there are lots of them available but pricey.

3. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you can find one of the 4 barrel versions thats a better starting point. A Triumph TR8 would be a good source too. 215's still have parts available. I think Str**t Ro**er did an article on then years ago. No more expensive than a flathead to build.

posted via smoke signals made with a Mexican blanket

4. bogart62

bogart62

Good info, thanks. So lightweight in a '32 Roadster front end would work? I see all sorts of heavy iron in them. Big blocks, nailheads, hemi's, and of course flatheads. I know where there's a 215 Olds rebuilt that a guy lost interest in a project. Just tryin to put all these pieces together before I pull the trigger. Thanks again for the input.
    Kent

5. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

I bought one to put in my '29 Model A roadster. Compared to the 8BA Flattie that's in there now, it is about half the weight and double the horsepower completely stock. My 215 is .020 over and has an Isky mild track cam, Isky adjustable push rods, etc. Offenhauser has a manfold for 2x2's.
    These guys know it all (D&D, Almont, Mi.):
    http://www.aluminumv8.com/index.htm

6. It also came in Pontiacs.....
    Use the 4bbl intake and a 3x2 adapter....
    The Olds engine has more head bolts...the outside difference is the valve covers also have more bolts.

7. OFT

OFT

Friend of mine runs a stroker 215 Olds in his sandrail. 300 crank, small journal Chevy rods, and Vega pistons for 277". That motor Flies and sounds awesome!

D&D listed above has all the details on stroker motors.

8. Beau

Beau

I have a couple Olds engines an a Buick. aluminumv8.com is your place to go, and he is right in your hood.

You pretty much need an adapter to run any sort or worthwhile transmission, manual or auto. 90% of the parts are available from Auto Zone special order. They are a nice on small engine. I know some guys have fit them in Model A's without recessing the firewall.

If I were you I'd go a different route.

[​IMG]

9. bogart62

bogart62

Thanks guys. Just looked at D & D's website. They are about 30 miles from me. that's a plus. It all sounds pretty cool to consider the 215. Again, thanks!

Kent

10. 1954 rocket 98

1954 rocket 98

this place has everything you would need if you want to use one of those in a car. http://www.aluminumv8.com/tech/tech.htm
    i have a olds version 215 myself i would like to find something to put it in sometime, need to finish some other projects first.

11. bogart62

bogart62

Beau: a different route cause of the firewall?

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The 215 Olds/Buick is lighter, more than smaller outside size. The lighter weight is a good thing for power to weight ratio, a performance factor....but, less so for sprung/unsprung weight ratio which affects ride characteristics

13. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

The engines and their offspring (Rover) are really popular in England for transplants into MG's, etc. There are a few interchangeable parts with the Buick 300 engines (i.e. a shorter water pump snout and heads) which could make it a screamer....

14. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

The 215 is a unique engine in many way. Light weight, looks pretty cool and it develops sufficient power for a traditional rod. A good friend powered his Sunbeam Alpine with one and it performed perfectly. Go ahead and use it.

15. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Were these engines used in mid-60's Jeeps? That is the Jeep Tuxedo Park?

16. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

The oddity of this engine is the bell pattern. Other than the Rover/MG usage, GM had two automatics that worked behind this engine. Dual path dynaflow which is a 2 speed, and Olds Roto 5, which is a 3 speed.

17. mechanic58

mechanic58

I always wanted to get my hands on a usable 215. I've only ever seen a handful of them and they were all fossilized in a junkyard somewhere. (I'm not counting the Rover examples)
    I think it would make a fantastic conversation piece in your rod.

18. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Kent;

The 215 was used in Olds, Buick, Pontiac. IIRC, Buick mill was used by Pontiac. The Olds had better heads, & more likely to have a 4bbl. I'd guess some aftermarket manifolds were made. Mickey Thompson ran one of these in an Indy car effort, so speed equpt was made. As mentioned, Rover used these, & I'd guess that better stuff is available now, although probably via Europe. Also, IIRC, the Powerglide (2 sp) was a switch-pitch (torque convertor) version. [Edit: Maybe I don't remember so well... :D . But you'll still be happy w/the mill - & I think it's worth the effort!]. They're strong enough to supercharge or turbocharge if you'd like.

As far as weight goes, just change the front springing rates to match the weight up front. No different than dropping in a Hemi, or a small Ecotec.

If you can get the mill for a decent price, go for it. They're lively, can get good fuel economy, & you don't see many of them. I always wanted one for a lightweight rod, but have too many projects now, & the cheap (read: reasonable/low-buck) source(s) that I knew, for them dried up. But you will be happy w/it. :D .

Marcus...

19. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

20. sadsack

sadsack

I am goig to build a tbucket with one. by the way my city is clayton not claytpon

sadsack

21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Lots of them were used in hot rods in England where they are about the most common V8. In stock form they put out 160HP which is adequate if not exciting. I think the latest Rover version is about 300???

It would work and make a nice driving, economical car.

22. luke13

luke13

alot of stock car guys use em down here,from memory a falcon 6 bellhousing and fmx gearbox will bolt up.

23. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Nope...that was the 225 cubic inch Buick V6 ....At the same time the aluminum 215 V8 was introduced, Buick built an iron 198 V6 that shared several basic design features with the 215 V8, including the orphan bell housing bolt pattern.

For 1964 the 215 Aluminum V8 morphed into the iron block/aluminum heads and manifold 300 cube Buick V8. It also got the common BOP block pattern. For 1965 the aluminum heads and manifold were cast in iron.
    The '64 Buick V6 grew to 225 cubic inches and also got the BOP bolt pattern. That is what went into Jeeps a bit later.

The story goes on with some twists and turns and eventually the aluminum V8 ended up with Rover in England.

24. bogart62

bogart62

Great info. I talked to Mark at D & D. Gonna visit the shop next week. I told him I've been looking at some 215's already. He said he has over 300 cores available. He knew his stuff too. Thanks guys

25. Pickled_asparagus

Pickled_asparagus

These motors were far ahead of their time. The Olds has a more conventional head design with an extra bolt as the Olds Jetfire 215's were turbocharged in 62-63:
    This version made 215hp (1 per cubic inch). When your fully assembled motor only weighs 300 pounds that's not to shabby!

Buicks will have heads that look similar to Nailheads. From what I understand, Landrover bought the tooling from GM and has been putting these in their vehicles ever since (in some variant).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good luck!

26. Beau

Beau

Nope. Only the 215 or Rover stuff will bolt up without adapters.

27. OFT

OFT

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  28. I just traded one (1963 olds 4 barrell 215) for a 1945 logan 10" metal lathe :) yippee for me and yippee for the guy that is stuffing it in an old MGB

29. bobadame

bobadame

I used to have a couple of these back in the late '60s. A '62 f-85 convertible with a 3 speed manual trans, and then a'63 Jetfire with a 4 speed. 185 horse power with the 4 barrel and 215 hp in the Jetfire with the turbo. They were beautiful little cars.

30. Beau

Beau

Ford stuff on a B.O.P.? In all my research, I have never read anything about Au stuff fitting.

There is also a LOT of info on www.britishv8.com. Really good write ups.

I have these fancy things.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014