Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mor-Drop Axles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bib Overalls, Feb 25, 2005.

1. A lot of folks say they are running a Mor-Drop axle but how does one know for sure?

I've got first dibs on an old dropped Model A axle. The work looks good. In fact, it looks a lot like the Mor-Drop I bought at Blair's Speed Shop in Pasadena in the late 50s ($15 exchange). I'd like to ID the shop that did it if possible.

Are there any distinguishing characteristics I should be looking for?

2. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'd also like to know if there are any distinguishing charteristics of a mor-drop. I've got a beauty that is claimed to be one but don't know for sure. I got it from a fellow who was stationed on the west coast in the Army and claims it is a Mor-drop. He brought it back with him after being discharged to use on a future hot rod build that never happened.

Frank

3. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

The axles that were dropped at Mor-Drop had no names or anything on them. Although there were several shops that dropped I-beam axles back in the day, generally speaking, one that was dropped at Mor-Drop was less likely to have been messed up by being stretched too far or squashed at the ends as viewed from the front, the way some shops did them.

My site has a page about the axles that are dropped here in Phoenix, and it also shows some of the axles that I've polished:

http://www.roadsters.com/axles/

Dave Mann
    http://www.roadsters.com/
    (602) 233-8400

4. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

From what ive been told either mordrop or dago (i forget which) has a lot of tool marks on the bend

5. Here some Photos of my axle, it what not easy to bend it.

Later Lars

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      38.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      25.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      21 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      46.7 KB
      Views:
  6. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Someone did a tech article on this. Showed how he dropped the axle himself. Looked pretty good to me. Think it was about 2-3 months ago.

7. ratster

ratster

Does anyone else have an Ed Stuart axle? I'd like to see if it looks like mine

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

This wasbought at a Reno swap meet not too far from Mor drop. The old vendor told me it was one of theirs. Nice and smooth with no hammer marks.

[​IMG]

This one came from so cal in the early 50's. Ive been told that the Stuarts (your spelling..I don't know) used a drop hammer to do theirs. You can see the hammer marks in the end. You don't get that with a ball peen. I can't prove it but it's my opinion that the first one is a Mor drop and the lower one is a "Dago" Stuart axle. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:D I don't think any one can prove where a flea market axle was dropped.

9. ratster

ratster

mine looks like the bottom one. Gene from Genes hotrod shop said it was a "Dago" axle.

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

At first I was going to "fill" the ends and detail them, but I think I'll leave it be. I just like the old timey look. Sometimes if you make it too pretty it looses some of it's character.

[​IMG]

This is another old dropped and filled axle of unknown origin. Steevie Wonder can tell it's not a modern copy.:D

11. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Titus had a tech article on dropping axles if you want to check the Tech forum archives.

12. junkmonger

junkmonger

I think there's also a Street Rodder article on dropped axles. I can try to dig it up if you still need it.

13. mercsforever

mercsforever

As far as I know, Mor-Drop Axle Company is alive and well in Oakland, California.
    Try the 510 Area code. Owners name was Marty.

14. Bib Overalls asked his question 9 years ago. I hope he has an answer already.

15. I always thought i had a dago but was told it was a mor drop. I don't know. But it's old.

Attached Files:

16. R&C RON

R&C RON

Mor-Drop closed their doors about a year and a half ago!

17. ratster

ratster

looks like my axle and was told mine was a dago axle

18. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I have a gnarly old Mor-Drop 32-36 axle, with almost a 6" drop over the perch mounts the ends are fairly taffy pulled looking.

19. 2Blue2

2Blue2

First I apologize for posting on this old Zombie thread.

Scored a couple of Axles
    The stock one looks to be a '37 with spindles and this drop axle with the incorrect spring (I assume) on it.
    The guy said 'to use the mono leaf, keep the pivoting spring perches.'
    Another old hot rodder (who I really like and trust) said it might be a More drop but wasn't sure because of the filled ends.

Can't find no markings but haven't sanded it down yet either.
    Will this much drop axle plus the mono leaf be too low for fenders on a 31 Model A?
    Looks like more than 4 inches drop.
    Can any one shed some light here? Thank you in advance

IMG_9691.JPG

nochop likes this.
  20. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I often wonder where my dropped axel on my avatar came from. The car was hot rodded by my dad in the mid to late 50’s. Split wish bones, Rocket motor etc. Did he freight the axel from South Dakota to Oakland? Or was there a drop shop nearer. Just wondering.

2Blue2 likes this.
  21. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

About the only way to be sure about fit is to mock it up. The blocks on the other mono spring will raise or lower the ride height.

2Blue2 likes this.