Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lots of stuff going on... What to expect in the coming weeks...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ok guys, we are getting really close to launching Version 5 of The Jalopy Journal and the HAMB. It's the largest redesign we have done since 2001. It's a massive change of direction in both look and feel and functionality. So, what should you expect?

Everybody hates change. I realize that. And this is going to be a BIG change. I expect many of you to hate it at first just like many of you have hated all of our redesigns in the past. You will, however, grow to love it I'll bet... or I wouldn't be doing this.

The main goals of this were simple:

1. I wanted posting and image attachments to be easier than ever. Our current method is ancient and inefficient.

2. I wanted a cleaner and simpler look to everything.

3. I wanted to get away from Vbulletin (our current forum software) and on to a more modern and flexible platform so that all of our historical posts and threads were in a safer and more easily searched environment.

4. I wanted everything on the site to be more accessible from a mobile device. More on that later.

Our redesign will reach each of the above goals and I'm really happy about that. Plus, I think it's just down right gorgeous if I don't say so myself. I'm tickled.

There will be, however, some growing pains. Before the launch of the redesign, there is going to be a forum reorg as well. I've hinted at this the past few weeks, but here are the basics. The current split of forums will no longer be... We've tested it for six months now and I'm not happy with it at all. Instead, the forums will be laid out like this:

Hokey Ass Message Board. This forum will host every thread - just like the HAMB used to be.

- Traditional Customs. This forum will host only period perfect customs just like our current traditional custom forum. These threads will also appear in the main HAMB forum.

- Traditional Hot Rods. This forum will host only period perfect hot rods just like our current traditional hot rod forum. These threads will also appear in the main HAMB forum.

Note that the current "traditionally styled" forum is gone under this new arrangement. These threads will now go in the main HAMB forum. So all we are really doing is keeping the traditional perfect forums and using them as a way for fellas to filter the forum so that all they see is period perfect stuff if they want. That's our focus anyhow...

In addition, we will also be getting rid of the "tech archive". All of those threads will be moved into the main HAMB forum so that they are more searchable.

This forum reorg will most likely happen before the redesign is launched.

Finally... Mobile. The new design will be much more usable from your regular mobile browser. Which is good, because our TJJ App will most likely be down for a week or two after the redesign launch. However, it will be back up and running once the apps are approved.

I guess that's it for now... Get ready for a fun mess.

2. 117harv

117harv

Looking forward to the changes:)

3. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I'm not a fan of change, but I'm real excited for the new layout and app update! Will we be able to see location and price in the classifieds on the mobile app after this update?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. squirrel

squirrel

5. I guess what the man sez" GET USED TO IT" Oh well another day in hotrod heaven!!!!

6. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

7. Looking forward to it!

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

We must embrace the latest technology in order to build a better past!

Onward!

9. paintcan54

paintcan54

Man, I just got this one figured out. Ok I'll learn the new one.

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Well I'm not one for change either BUT with that being said I'm looking forward to being able to post photos and text easier. AND if thats the case, and it's less time consuming, I can resume posting adventure threads.:cool:

11. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I like what I hear... especially if the Mobile gets improved.

12. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Change is never easy and getting used to something new is more difficult the older we all get for sure.

I hope everyone will simply give the new changes sometime before being to critical.

Best of luck and I am sure the change will make things better for everyone.

Jimbo

13. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Thank goodness I for one miss them....

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Oh My :D Change is hard to take. But change for the better is grudgingly accepted :)

15. I'm not a big fan of change but, I know it's inevitable and often for the best. As a techno-dinosaur it will take me some time to adjust, but hey, I'm here for the long haul and I appreciate all that the HAMB is and will be. Carry on. Oh, I miss your adventure threads as well, Denise.........Don.

16. Aaron Kahan

Aaron Kahan

Hey Ryan,
    That sounds like a good plan and direction. I think upgrading the mobile part is a very good move. Looking forward to checking out how it progresses and looks.

-Aaron

17. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I have to give you credit for thinking forward and not resting on your laurels.

18. D-man313

D-man313

More adventure threads? Perfect!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. I sit at my wind-up hand crank confuser here at my man-cave desk and have gotten along fairly well and I even feel like I can post pictures fairly easily. Can someone explain what a mobile device has to do with a computer? I thought a mobile devise was a car or truck.

20. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Very cool -- I'm looking forward to the changes, I think it will be for the better!

Also looking forward to trying out the mobile browser (non-app) version.
    Thanks, Ryan!

Malcolm

21. krooser

krooser

Keep on keeping' on….

22. I love change - get it on!!!!! :eek:

23. pontman

pontman

Sounds good. I'm ready!

24. And What have you been doing with all that "spare" time....

25. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I'm old.. Hope I can still figure out how to post photos and threads.. What's a mobile ???

26. Scrap Metal 48: A mobile is one of those thingy's that hangs over a baby's crib with birds and stuff on it. It usually makes some kind of noise when the wind blows it. Why we need one of those I'm not sure, but I aint arguing with the boss..................

27. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

So now we will have to go back to searching 1000 threads unless we are 100% traditional? I liked the idea of having the split in traditional and traditionally styled. Sounds like backing up to me. My stuff will never be 100% traditional, but somewhat close. Guess I'll go back to reading and not posting much, that is when I can find what I want without having to go through 1000 threads to find it.:( Being all clumped together in one large area sure makes it hard to find anything. Oh well, it's yours, do with it as you think needs be. I'll still enjoy it when I can find time to go through 10 pages of results.

28. I am looking forward to the changes,I feel like I am a lot more comfortable and just a tad more computer savvy since the last major update.

It may be a little bumpy at first but I'm confident the new and improved site will run smooth. HRP

29. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

This alone might be worth whatever trouble we will encounter. :D
    The Tech archives being added into the regular forum might make things more complicated for my little mind, but my seat belt is buckled and I'm ready for the ride. Gene

30. papajohn

papajohn

This isn't being released on April first, is it?

Posted using a number two pencil on a paper napkin.