Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ford Mike's Roadster Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ford Mike, Mar 11, 2014.

1. This is exactly what I planned on doing if I couldn't get enough wiggle room from the quarter panel. I was going to try moving the quarter panel back first because I wasn't sure just switching the striker to the back of the door jam would work in my case. I have original quarters and a brookville drivers door as well as a brookville subframe. I believe some of the alignment issues stem from the combination of repop and original parts but I'll get it! The door alignment has come a long way from it not even fitting in the opening for the space between the cowl and door jam.

Thanks Josh! You're going to have one cool little car when you're done. See you guys at the Showdown!!

2. Lookin' good broceephus!

3. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

Your book is very helpful, every car is a little different and not everyone can find the exact parts you used.

4. Majo

Majo

Nice job!

Majo

5. oldsboy

oldsboy

That's some really good progress. Subscribed.

6. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

killer little car.

7. Thanks guys!!!

Thanks! I really should have made more in the last few months but being a full time student who pedals parts to build the car gets rough sometimes.

8. I started to disassemble the frontend last night, I need to finish weld the wishbone and re-rivet the front crossmember. I've never did it but after a few tips from fellow hotrodders I think I can tackle it.

[​IMG]

Heres a better look at the front wishbone for those that were interested. Its a combination of a full length 34 big truck wishbone plus the mount and first 3 inches I believe of a model A wishbone. I decided to put the model A wishbone mounts on it for two reasons. One is I had them laying around and two is I hope to someday get my hands on a dropped axle. Since the model A's are larger I could run either a model A axle or a 32-36 with a spacer. It currently has a 33 axle in it.

[​IMG]

9. Tank

Tank

I follow you on IG so I'll follow you here too! Lookin good man. (Lowmerc53 on Ig)

10. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

hey now that the ice bergs have melted I need to dig out that T spring and ship it to you :) I'll try and get at it this weekend. Were on Baby watch- any day now so who knows...

Keep posting pics- I literally CANT WAIT to work on my pickup and roadster this spring/summer... seeing these pics of it rolling around is so inspiring :)

11. Yes! Awesome man thanks again!! When I put the leaves back in my reversed eye A spring it messed the stance up. Congrats on the baby!! And don't be digging for that spring if the baby's coming any minute. I don't want it to be my fault if you're running late! :)

I can't wait for you to start on your roadster or truck either! Everything you build is cool, the pickup really blows my mind with the K member setup you made. I can't wait to see more!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Looking good, Mike! I've enjoyed following along on Instagram and I'll be watching here for a little more detail. Thanks again for selling your old '32 shell/insert - you rule!

Malcolm

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

So awesome! That front wishbone rules....almost as much as the Oil Filter. Thanks again!!!

14. Thanks man!!! I'm super glad you got the '32 grill, it literally looks like it was made for your car!

Thanks bud! I just finished the wishbone up tonight, I'll try to get pics in the morning. Oh and I had an Inland Emperors sticker on it too but it pealed off so whip up some more stickers and we can put a few more on at the showdown haha! Free Advertising!

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'll give you $100 if you let Tuki letter your decklid with Sugar City Speed Shop and leave it ;)

16. If Tuki would do it then deal! I already talked to him about numbering the doors which is so rad. I'm like 100% sure I don't have the skill or time to get the final color sprayed on this thing before the show. We will have to think something up to work it out but I'm down with rocking a Sugar City trunk!

17. snot275

snot275

Does this deal apply to everyone?! :rolleyes:

18. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I'll give you $$$ to keep all that graffiti off it! :p

LESS IS MORE!

no offense JJ- :)

19. All I know about the "sponsorships" on this car is they won't be there once the final color is sprayed. Until then, since its primer, it doesn't bother me! haha

Got the front wishbone all welded up and painted...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On to the rivets. They were definitely a challenge, I had no clue how they should be done. My dad made a "buck" out of a bolt and threaded rod coupler and we tried it with the air chisel. My air chisels sucks though, the trigger doesn't work, so its extremely hard to handle. So after everything these were just done by smashing them with a hammer. They didn't come out too bad I guess, the only ones that we cheated on were the side ones. I had no idea how to even hold them from the back so they are welded in. The crossmember is also welded underneath just for assurance.

[​IMG]

Then it all went back underneath where it belongs...

[​IMG]

Instead of pulling the flathead I took the chance to sit inside to see if I even fit. It turns out its pretty comfy, guess thats one of the perks of building a car youself for yourself haha.

[​IMG]

Until tomorrow...

20. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Looking Good! I've been following on IG, I'll be following here as well....

21. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Whats the seat out of?

22. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

Keep up the good work! It's going to be a bad-ass car when you're done. Remember, all good things take time.

23. Let me know how you get on with the pics man! Hope you get those strikers sorted. Pretty easy fix just make sure you get the striker holes in the door jamb in the right spot, had to weld and redrill one of mine a few times cause it was a mm or two out lol.

24. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Subscribed.

25. It's the center seat out of a 90s Chrysler van. It's pretty comfortable and has seat belts!

26. Those pics gave me an idea of what I need to try next, Thanks a bunch man! I'm sure the holes in my quarters will be a whole different monster haha! I was looking at the strikers and latches today and it looks like I would need to cut a chunk out of the latch plate? I really don't know how to describe it so I'll get a pic in the morning to see if I'm on the right track. Thanks again for getting me those pics!

27. Glad to see a thread to go with the instahamb

28. Shouldn't have to cut much out of the latch man just trim it till it slips over the quarter.

29. Glad to see you finally started a build thread!
    Keep it up man.

Sent from a typewriter.

30. Love this damn car!!

BloodyKnuckles