Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical My First Quickie

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by JimSig, Mar 12, 2014.

1. I'm new at quickchange rear ends and have a question: "Since the Ford center section has been replaced with a Halibrand, how do I fill the ring and pinion chamber with gear oil?" Will the oil somehow get from the change gear chamber to the ring and pinion chamber if I fill it through the little 1/8" plug on the Halibrand? Or, do I fill the ring and pinion through the vent hole on the top of the bell? How would a person ever change the ring and pinion fluid without a plug?
    Thanks,

2. KENDEUCE

KENDEUCE

Oil seeks its own level from ring and pinion side to the change gear side. Fill plug should be in the rear cover.

3. Yeah, I have a plug in the rear cover, and another plug between the ribs on the passenger side which is lower than the plug on the cover. I imagine I should fill it from the cover plug and take plenty of time to do it.
    KENDEUCE: Thanks for your help.
    JimSig

4. You could put a plug in the side bell to fill the center section.

5. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

This is what I did^^^^^^^^

My QC had sealed bearings so the oil will not pass from change section to r/p section...BTW on my Halibrand 101 I used the typical rear end oil in the rear end and used 90ep in the change section

6. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

QC's use a sealed bearing ..... But from brand new to after it's first little use..... All they do is slow the gear oil down long enough to change gears , with out losing much of.the front level...... But it will for sure equal itself front to rear .....I've owned and raced them for over 25 years.... In other words.... I've changed gears and lube more than once....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

What lube do you use?

8. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Any quality gear oil ..... I use Mobil One synthetic 85/90 ..... It seemed to have less temp in a round track car when I started using it.

9. How many quarts to fill one from scratch?
    Thanks,
    JimSig

10. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO