Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects i just want something to cruise.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by indawaitinroom, Jun 24, 2011.

1. INXS

INXS

Awesome work Mat. I wish I was half the fabricator you are. I know what you mean about getting overwhelmed. You know how long my Dodge took. Just keep plugging along.
    Weston

2. gotit

gotit

Where'd you go? Have you been making any progress?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. sorry guys! i fell off the planet this year. work has been insane, so busy ive been trying to put in overtime to keep up with the workload and it has absorbed all of my spare time i should have been using on this car.

i got the outer panels for both wheel wells all welded and finished up and thats about where it has sat for what, 5 months now? shit. ive been buying parts for the car here and there, but it is hard to call that progress. hopefully in another couple weeks maybe i can stop working so much and get back on it. thanks for checking up on it though. sorry to leave you all hangin.

[​IMG]

i cant believe its been over 3 years since i started this damn thing! i need someone to come to my shop and yell at me about deadlines.

4. jimstro16

jimstro16

Wow, I've never seen this thread before. The way you busted ass on it from the beginning I expected to get to the end and see the car lined up on a front cover somewhere.

Cool build

5. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Ya know, I've watched this build for a while. I never made the connection until now, haha.

Take a fuckin' vacation, stop collecting hot rod parts and finish the car!

6. lomonte

lomonte
    from Indep., MO

Beautiful fab work. Can't wait to see it done!

7. Tony

Tony

Move closer and i'll be happy to yell at ya. The cost of gas to drive out would keep me working 23 hours a day! Haha

Now, GET TO WORK! :)

Tony

8. hippy killer

hippy killer

i know a guy with a 54 chevy that has a hard time with deadlines as well

9. GOT RUST

GOT RUST
    from alabama

your 53 is truly a work of art and excellent show of skills, craftsmanship, patience, and dedication. i am building my first 54 in my garage as well tho not as elegant. if you have any pics of the wheel well resections and trunk pan you're doing on this build i would love to see them. have you figured out your gas tank yet?

10. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Lookin' forward to more pictures---great work.

11. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

I'm glad I found this thread. You're doing a great job - and I hear you about work keeping you too busy. I've not really worked on my own project for the past YEAR becuase of work! Ugh. Keep at it though, I'm excited to see you finish this one out.

12. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You are all probably thinking, "really? its almost been a whole year and this is it? this is the update? a boring jamb detail of no real significance? don't you have bigger fish to fry? I'm cancelling my subscription"

well, I actually don't even know how to fry fish, so whatever.

The old Mat Seely would have sold this project long long ago.

Thanks for looking. And GOT RUST I still haven't figured out my gastank delema. I do plan to post pictures of the tubs and trunk floors as i go.

13. Wardog

Wardog

Good to see you are back at it. Oh yeah , I blame you for my new urge to put the family galaxy on astro's!

14. Don't sell it man, I don't have room for another project!

Seriously though, fuckin exceptional work

15. Hahah! yeah thats true Ragu, i have to wait untill your 62 is wrapped up first! and Wardog, Galaxies were made for astros!! is there any other wheel choice??

haha thanks for the kind words, I still have a long way to go, and alot to learn.

16. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Got the bug back after this weekend huh? hahaha Glad to see you're back on it man! Cannot wait to see more! Good seeing you this weekend bro!

17. haha funny how that works Steve! Thanks man, good seeing you too! lets see how much i can get done on this thing before the cavalcade..... hahah without life getting in the way.

18. Tony

Tony

'Bout time man! I kinda wondered if all that tin would spur your interest to work on it. Haha
    Happy to see you back at it!
    Now, just keep going and before ya know it it'll be done. :)

19. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Hell yeah! Would love to have it in the show for 2014... I hear ya man, I'm starting back on my 53 this week. The Happening just gets the bug in ya! I'll keep checking back for more updates.

20. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

You are building that for me...right?

21. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

Kick ass thread! I cant wait to see more.

22. GOT RUST

GOT RUST
    from alabama

thanks im looking forward to seeing what you come up with. im sure it will look good.

23. lgh1157

lgh1157

Just reread this thread, . . . . . . so rad dude.

I read these mags and look at peoples builds, people say it took 5 years, 10 years and when you think about that time, it feels like forever during the build, . . . , but it does move fast. , . . . . . . . . looking at what you've done in 3 years its pretty amazing

Keep up the good work bro

L

24. Thanks lgh1157, I really appreciate that. I'm stoked to see your galaxie come together.

No real updates yet. I've been building a shovelhead chop to make some side cash evenings and weekends, trying to save up to get back onto this car. It's been a gnarly winter. But good cause now I am getting stoked to finally dive back into this project and hopefully stick to it once this shovelhead is done.

A friend of mine stopped by to check out the junk I've been working on, and snap some photos. I was stoked, he has some talent. Here is one shot he took, he plans to come back and shoot some more, hopefully more shots showing progress once I get rolling.

Attached Files:

25. Smokey2

Smokey2

Thanks for the update.......
    I may have missed it ? But what front suspension are you using. Thanks, Smoke :cool:

26. the front suspension is basic mustang II, but designed similar to what Art Morrision sells. I just built it myself to save money.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thanks.

27. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

More info please! I'm looking to do the same thing to my wife's 51 Chevy!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. harleynut45

harleynut45

Just read all 17 pages of your build and I got to say I'm definitely impressed with your talent. I've never seen anything like that on this site or any other site. I'm envious of your talent. Keep the pictures coming.

29. Thank you harleynut45, I really appreciate it, I still have a lot to learn.

Mr. Dickies, as for the front end, its the same as a mustang II dimensionally, because you are limited by the rack width, and spindle size. unless you want to fab a custom steering link an run a box, or build, or find different spindles that will match the geometry you plan to run. Lots of people are building complete custom IFS these days with amazing results, I chose this route cause it fit fairly decent in my car, and was pretty simple to fab considering I had access to a few different MII setups at my last job, so I stayed late, made some patterns, took some measurements, and just started building.

[​IMG]

I bought the balljoint threaded bungs from speedway for cheap, some DOM tubing, and 2x4 3/16" wall, and 1.25 diam solid cold rolled bar for the a-arm mounts. made some jigs, and got fabbin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    the frame is upsidedown in these pics, made it easier to weld nice.
    [​IMG]
    I made a "jig" out of heavy angle iron to set the upper a-arm pivots where I wanted them to be, and then just connected them to the frame using 1/4" cold rolled plate steel. incorporating the bag mount.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and for added strength, I made the engine mount tubes connect the upper arm mounts to the lower crossmember, just to triangulate things.

30. Looks good man, I made my own MII also.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014