Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do any of you guys use your paint booth/room for other projects such as blasting?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tlmartin84, Mar 13, 2014.

1. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

I know that question sounds stupid, but I am working on a new shop and I am dedicating one bay for a wash and paint area.

I was debating on setting it up for blasting as well?

If you kept the room simple, flat walls, no shelves or areas to catch dust and clean it good could it double for both?

Another question is how do you guys keep your shops so clean, especially fabricating. I always have a layer of gray dust when I get finished that is on everything from the grinder........

2. jazz1

jazz1

I wouldn't. I took all sorts of precautions to sandblast a project in my shop 6 years ago and that dust is still haunting me, you cant remove the dust with a single cleaning,,the shit just keeps showing up ...I still paint in my garage without any problems,,i just dont recommend sandblasting. i plan to sandblast in my portable wigwam

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  3. Don't do it,you will never,,repeat never get rid of all the sand and it will show up in your finished paint job...Guaranteed! HRP

4. x2!

5. stimpy

stimpy

freind owned a commercial shop , and in the winter we used the booth for blasting , you have to make sure the fans and intake and outflow filters work real good , and also we hung a tarp over the car door to the booth to to help make a dust/blast barrier on the inside ( air intake was thru the doors ) , when you clean up the sand you have barrel it out , and then vacum and wash and wipe the whole room down before using it again for painting . we used the spray mask you use on the walls for painting to help clean the mess up easier and a dedicated shop vac that was modified( to fit on a 55 gallon drum ) with a drywall filter to suck up the sand and dust . and we would not paint for 2-3 days to make sure all the dust settled in the room .

6. Spanish Fly

Spanish Fly

7. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

That would be a great idea if you were going to spray BED LINERS for the rest of the time...............NEVER EVER BLAST IN THE SAME ROOM YOU PAINT.......did I say never...yes...never ever, ever, ever, ever....I hope this little tid bit of info helped you

8. metal man

metal man

I have to agree with the other guys . Bad idea. I do a fair amount of blasting, and I do the big stuff that won't fit in the cabinet outside. I can't imagine ever getting a room used for blasting clean enough to paint in again.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. MrMike

MrMike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would be fired if the boss caught me trying that! no way.

10. gow589gow

gow589gow
    from Indiana

I set one room to be occasionally used for painting. I do other things in there but never oil related or hydraulic transmission work. The room was set up so when it came time to paint everything is on wheels; cabinets and such. The walls, floor and yes ceiling are coated with epoxy paint. Even the drop in ceiling tiles have epoxy paint brushed on them.

While I have not sand blasted in the room, all my primer and sanding coats are done in the same room. When it comes time to paint a car I move everything out and spend a day hosing and scrubbing the room.

Guide coat being blocked:

[​IMG]

cars being painted in the same room after properly cleaned:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

You bring up another point as i plan to do all my body work in it as well.

12. R U NUTS?
    or smokin funny smellin cigarettes?
    Sandblast, body work and paint all in the same room.
    Now I've heard it all !!!!!!!!!!!

13. pastlane

pastlane

Many years back I sandblasted a motorcycle frame with a siphon feed blaster in my garage. Finished walls & ceiling. The sand got into the attic area past the drywall, the insulation & the plywood attic floor. It gets everywhere and will haunt you forever.

14. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

It would be great to have a seperate room just for painting.

But thats a lot of space for maybe painting a vehicle once every two years. Ive seen some dang good jobs come from guys simply painting behind plastic taped up in their garages.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I don't do sand blasting in my paint both but I do body work in it. Keeps the sanding dust confined. So I guess I am nuts.

I don't see the big deal. I wash the booth down before painting.

So, let me guess, you have your own paint booth dedicated to only painting in. Must be nice.

Neal

16. i use one "room", body work, sanding, priming, painting. don't have room for a dedicated booth. i just clean the whole shop when i am in paint mode.
    the results;

Attached Files:

17. D-man313

D-man313

Ive done body work in the same space as ive painted. Body work dust falls relatively straight down. And sweep it up instead of blowing it out(let dust settle a few days before paint.) But I would never sandblast in the same area. I wouldnt even want to do in inside anywhere.

18. I completely agree with HRP. No matter how you try you will never get it all out. Mine is all metal walls & ceiling & I wash the whole thing before each paint job.

Attached Files:

19. JunkYardGuy

JunkYardGuy

A paint booth needs to be kept as clean as possible at all times.

20. stimpy

stimpy

seeing you have a drop ceiling , I would recommend against it , ours was a drywalled room that was finished ( taped , mudded by skim coating, primed and sealed ) so it was sealed all around , one wrong move with a nozzle ( the reason why we put up the barrier by the door as someone blew the filters out one time when making a swipe across the roof ) is all it takes to knock them loose and fall and the air will make them move around and gather stuff on top . and negative air pressure is the key to making it stay in the room a house fan in the window don't cut it .

21. I'd say once you use a paint booth for a blasting room it won't be a paint booth again.

As a kid, I spot blasted 3 baseball size places on a car in my parents garage. 15 years later there was still sand all over the place.

22. mike bowling

mike bowling

Wow- first time I've seen ALMOST everyone in agreement! And I hate to go with the current, but this time I gotta agree- sand and paint in the same place is hard to pull off(damn near impossible). Then again sometimes you gotta run what ya brung,not all of us can pull off having a multi-bay facility. If you decide to try it, Good Luck!

23. imchris

imchris
    from Florida

Yeah, what they said. Realistically, if you're only painting a car every 2 years, you could rent a booth at a local shop where you know someone. Shouldn't run you more than a couple hundred bux max on a weekend. Then you can use your space to do sandblasting, body work, priming, sanding, etc. All the dirty stuff. Then off to the booth for paint. Their air supply will most likely be cleaner than yours is too since you're not "paint oriented" at your shop. Probably better lighting too which is always helpfull.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  24. Leviman

Leviman

Ive seen it done before, and with great results. If it's a simple enough space, you can wet everything down before painting and do just fine. That said, with sandblasting, it makes a huuuge mess.

25. slowmotion

slowmotion

It could be done, but I wouldn't. When I did a bodyshop stint years ago, I was the designated blaster. We never blasted indoors, unless in a cabinet. Bigger stuff or body panels always outside in a separate area. You just don't want that shit anywhere's close to where your gonna be painting.