Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods "The Abomination" Henry J gasser- on the operating table

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Von Hartmann, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Clik

Clik

I see you are in Cumberland, MD.

Good to have another gasser guy in the mountains.

I'm in Oakland.

In addition to the Olds and an Impala I've got a slow going Henry J gasser build going on.

2. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

The cross over tube isn't necessary for the intake. I ran the intake on the street for a couple years before I made that modification and I didn't have any real trouble. But it does make tuning the motor a little more forgiving. Without it, you will KNOW when your carbs are out of sinc, because the idle will surge. I don't have any dyno tests to prove the cross over is a power adder, but I believe it is. I do know that one of the old super stock Chrysler tricks to gain performance, was to cut open the intake and port out the cross over tubes cast into the factory Chrysler super stock cross rams. If opening the cross over in a mopar cross ram made a difference, then going from a completely divorced cross ram to a balanced one should make quite a bit of difference, in theory. Without the cross over, you are essentially running 2 4 cylinder motors off the same cam and crank.

3. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

It is a So-Cal speed shop stabilizer. I modified it a little by threading the rod for a heim joint. I actually don't have it on the car anymore, because I never really needed it in the first place. I just put it on there for assurance until I know how the car would handle.

4. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Nothing to add, I just thought I'd post this shot from the Grove, taken
    in 2011.

Attached Files:

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Love the Henry J! I just picked up a old Weiand cross ram that's going on the 350 SBC that I'm building for my Austin gasser. My old 327 had a major meltdown, and couldn't be saved, and I wanted to try the cross ram on the new engine. After doing some searching for tuning tips here I located your thread. I started modifying the cross ram yesterday, and installed a 1" aluminum balance tube between the plenums. It was a bugger to get it in, but once I wrestled it into one plenum it easily slid across to the other, and I did the JB Weld inside the plenum where I left 1/4" inside for this purpose. Hope to have the new engine done and try your balance tube idea out soon!
    [​IMG]

Still working on getting this intake polished up. Spent 5 hours on it so far, and probably have 5 more to finish!

6. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Looks great! It is tricky to cut the holes. I took a deep breath and cut mine with a die grinder... very carefully.

I've been thinking about trying to make an aluminum cross over like the one you made here. I have my PCV plumbed into the back of my carb spacers, but with an aluminum crossover, the cross over could be drilled and tapped so the PCV could be plumbed in it. It would be much cleaner than what I currently have.

It's surprising difficult to find an epoxy that will hold up to fuel. The metal epoxy I used works pretty well, but does slowly break down over time. I think I ran it for 1 1/2 - 2 years before I re epoxied it. My engine shop told me to use Moroso Miracle epoxy. It's suppose to be some killer stuff and gas won't break it down... unfortunately, I can't find it anywhere.

7. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Great pic! ... and saving to computer...

8. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Glad you like it. The car stopped me in my tracks.

9. Masama

Masama
    from Finland

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

back to the old topic again. Now is assembled the cross over pipe. I hope that will help in to adjusting the carburetor.