Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anti-bag 49-52 Chevy thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by matthew mcglothin, Nov 15, 2011.

1. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Here is mine. Stock front suspension and 3" lowering blocks in the rear.

Attached Files:

2. tbcworks.com

tbcworks.com
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a good looking Chevy!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. tbcworks.com

tbcworks.com
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My '54 heading to The Lone Star Round Up '13! Heading outta N.C.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393674411.896041.jpg

4. JReece

JReece

My car, 3in blocks in the rear and 2 rounds cut out on the front. I also cut the front bump stops in half. I have some air-shocks for the rear, hope to have them on soon.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1394619984.530927.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1394620027.699044.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1394620047.336632.jpg

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  5. navyboy

navyboy

well I have seen a few non chevys so I'm going to throw mine out there since its a 52', a plymouth lowered and they seem not to get much love but I love mine because I dont see them.
    [​IMG]

6. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

Wanted to pass on some info on Energy Suspension polyurethane bump stops that I used on my 54" Bel Air. The car has Buffalo dropped spindles & arms with Jamco 3" springs, about a 5" drop and it rides well and seldom bottoms out, and with these bump stops its a soft impact, not a harsh bang !!! The stops are under $20.00 a pair and a bolt in. Part #99103 @11/16" tall and #9913 Ultra Low @ 3/8" available in red or black... Try a pair I think you'll like them, dyno dave

7. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

Mine dropped upright's and 2 " block's[​IMG]

8. heliguy02

heliguy02
    from Indiana

Hi everybody,
    I have a 48 chevy fleetmaster that I am wanting to lower. How much clearance do you need between your tires and the fenders so they won't rub when you turn?

9. Marten

Marten

Why cost those dropped uprights and steering arms so much money???
    Is it the metal or structure from the material? Its no rockectscience to make them in production...or I'm missing something??

Since there are a lot of scrap Chevys, can you modified the stock one??

10. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Ok all you guys running cut/lowered front springs, what shocks are you using? Or do the stockers work fine? Just dont want my shock acting as bump stops....

11. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I think they have to be forged for strength as the support the weight of the entire car and have to resist all the physics working against them as the suspension functions. Definitely not something you want failing on you while driving. I'd also imagine that they are made in pretty small quantities as there only a limited amount of people using these they would be expensive to produce.

12. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

I know alot of people recommend shorter shocks when you cut springs but you basically have the same suspension limits at both sides(bump and droop), i still have the stock shocks on my 54 and havnt had any issues, been about 15 years.

Now if shocks have a specific position or sweet spot where they control the suspension best then my thinking is wrong.

I would be concerned that the suspension would hang on a shorter shock when you jacked up the car. Cesar

13. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Thanks Cesar

Seems this has worked for you, i would say 15yrs is long enough to see if your going to have problems. How much did you cut your springs?

I guess i just thought if the spring was cut say 2 inches you would need a shorter shock, so that if you hit a big bump/pothole (plenty here in chicago) the shock would run out of travel potentially breaking the lower shock plate. But if know one is having issues i wont waste money.

Anyone else have any thoughts on shocks to use?

14. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

because the hotrod hardware price DID NOT include the steering arms , we sell the cheeper than booth places and less shipping 585.00 for the set and 25.00 S&H and if yor an aliance member there 542.58 and 20.00 S&H

15. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

Malibustevens

It's been a long time I don't recall how much i cut off. I do remember taking it back apart and cutting another 1/4 turn though. You can always cut more but you can't stick pieces of spring back on :)

It's not too low and I havnt had problems bottoming out as it sits

16. thewaxhead

thewaxhead

Lowered the rear of my SD with reset spring pack and took 2 leafs out, smaller bump stops/

Lowered the front by cutting 1 coil but I think I they had been cut by previous owner too. Had to trim the bump stop down

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Rides pretty bad at the moment, air shocks on the way from Summit for the rear... the current gas shocks are old. Just a temporary fix so I can enjoy the car for a few months until I have to pull it apart (inevitably a new driveline... 235 with 3 speed, torque tube getting the flick in favour of 8 cylinders and an auto (money depending)

Heading to California in July, I think ill buy some dropped uprights for the front and potentially be purchasing some air ride stuff for the rear end off Gambino.

slammed and Devoted like this.
  17. Damn that Sedan Delivery looks sweet.

18. thewaxhead

thewaxhead

Cheers mate, shes better in the photos at the moment. Once I get it running perfect with my dream driveline, ill really make the body and paint good

19. [​IMG]

Nice Sedan Delivery, thewaxhead!

Devoted likes this.
  20. thewaxhead

thewaxhead

Much appreciated mate!

21. tahoe52coupe

tahoe52coupe

I am looking into dropped uprights for my 52 styeline deluxe. I was talking to RM Engineering in Oregon, and they say they can make up to 3" dropped uprights and steering arms. Has anyone tried these? Thanks for all the inspiration in this thread!!

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  22. GoinGreen

GoinGreen

51 Fleetline Special

Attached Files:

23. IronTrap

IronTrap

1.5 coils cut in the front with stock replacement shocks and 3" drop blocks in the rear with the bottom leaf removed. Need to throw some new rear shocks on yet and cut the rear bumpstops down a bit. May lower the front a hair more, but I want to drive it a little more to see how it all settles out.

[​IMG]

luckythirteenagogo and Devoted like this.
  24. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

20140608_080849.jpg 20140608_080817.jpg I went with 54 uprights and cut just a bit over 1 coil up front. 3" blocks in the rear.
    It rides really well but thinking of stepping the control arms up front and going back to stock springs to help with camber adjustment.

Devoted likes this.
  25. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Looks great!

26. rebstew187

rebstew187

011.JPG My daily beater, family more door. I dropped the back with 3" blocks. No issue with anything unless I have the car loaded down with people and trunk full of stuff. If so I tap the frame on a hard bump. Front is next. Just one coil. I like the tail dragger look.

slammed and Devoted like this.
  27. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Here is a 52 I did back in the eighties. Stepped a arms, 54 uprights and cut coils (1 1/2 rounds) up front and 3 inch blocks out back... Boy I miss that car, it went in my divorce sale....3250 bucks in 1991

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425393160.818457.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425393219.271082.jpg

28. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

Moriarity,

That's damn near perfect in my eyes.
    You just sealed the deal for me on the stepped control arms. Any issues with that setup?
    Also, is that a 54 column or did you cut down the original? Would love to see more pics if you have any.

29. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

No issues that I remember. I stepped the a arms myself and it worked out pretty well. The steering column was stock 52 and the wheel was a little too on your face. Found another pic ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425398180.716684.jpg

Devoted likes this.
  30. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

new front resize.jpg Great looking 52! My 53 is setup the exact same way. Stepped arms, 1 1/2 coils cut, 3 inch blocks in the rear.