Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ever Find Any Old Coins In A Old Car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Solospeedshop, Mar 9, 2014.

1. I have a quart Mason jar on the window sill in my shop that gets all the coin I find when stripping a project and it's over half full, mostly pennies. But when my kids were growing I'd try to enlist them to help, usually with limited success, until my oldest girl at about 8 years old found a big "diamond ring" between the seats of a roached out '70 Dodge Demon. It turned out to be a cubic zirconia but they were all more willing to pitch in for a couple years after that.

2. bigmuff81

bigmuff81

My projects are usually rusty enough that all of the change is loong gone. Lol

3. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

I found some ancient Zig Zag papers once. They crumbled when they were exposed to sunlight and air. LOL

Bitchin' Corvette!

4. If the coin's reverse (the side you can see) has an image of the Lincoln Memorial, it's dated 1959 or newer. If the reverse sez "One Cent" between wheat stalks, it's 1958 or earlier. I believe the 1960 model year was the first for the Comet. It was probably put there for good luck by an assembly line worker. Uh oh... what day of the week was your Comet made?:D

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

In almost every old car I've ever bought I found a coin with the model date of that car. Most were pennies, some nickles, dimes, quarters but no halves or silver dollars. There were other coins of earlier and later dates but I thought it neat that amost every time there was a model year coin.

6. I found in 1929 and 1917 penny in my 29 sedan when I flipped the body over to clean it out. The 29 penny had a hole in it like somebody had been wearing it for a necklace charm or something.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. afaulk

afaulk

Years ago found a Morgan silver dollar under the back seat of a 55 Ford Convert. Still have it lol.

8. cobramerc

cobramerc

I found a mercury dime between the dash and windshield in my 1956 chevy bel air

9. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Here is what I found in my '59 Dodge I got in January.

Attached Files:

• 015.JPG
      015.JPG
      File size:
      110 KB
      Views:
  10. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Holy cow! A 1942 Liberty half dollar! Its clearly in pretty good condition! Do you have any idea how much its worth?

11. Rockettruck

Rockettruck

In stripping a '67 Olds Cutlass several years ago I found a partial roll of silver dimes (38), both Mercury and Roosevelt. Someone's parking meter change probably...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

usually I find rust and holes! Maybe that's why I have no money all fell out the holes! HA HA

13. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Found a 1926 nickel under the wood of the door in my 26 RPU

14. Muttley

Muttley

The Comet is a '65.......it's a regular memorial cent, not a wheat back. I have no idea what day of the week the car was built. I would like to decode the VIN though to find out the name of the original color.

15. luke13

luke13

i found a moth in my 34.

16. Had one that turned out to have two bongs in it. Found one pulling the seats out for another car. Found the second one taking the seats back out of that car after I'd driven it a couple years. Guess it explains why I got it as a non-runner cheap only to discover all that was wrong with it was it was out of gas.

I never found any really good money, but a buddy did buy a used S10 and found more money inside it than he paid for the truck -

17. When I bought my 31 A Tudor, I also bought a 32 Chevy Tudor to flip. All I found in either one was this....

[​IMG]

.....poor guy!

18. big M

big M

Bought a '59 Dodge for parts several years ago, the owner told me the brakes went out when they were coming back from Reno 30 years prior, so they parked the car.

Inside the trunk was a pile of moldy clothes, but beneath that was a small plastic bucket full of quarters- $180 worth. Must have been the slot machine payoff the last time the car was used in Reno. No silver coins, though.

---John

19. classic gary

classic gary

1957 dime under the rubber floor mat/jute in a 57 chevy 150.
    thats it so far......................

20. LAROKE

LAROKE

I've gone the other way and put an old coin in my truck. When I scored a spinner steering wheel, none of the trim came with it so I fabbed something up with alum bar stock, alum sheet, a buick cowl lamp lens trim ring and a Morgan silver dollar.

[​IMG]

This is a 1887 silver dollar inherited from my maternal grandparents. I checked its value online before committing it to the JB Weld abuse. There are some Morgan silver dollars worth in the $23,000 range but this is not one of them. The value of this dollar to those who did not know my grandparents would be $20 if I were selling it and $35 if I were buying it.

Now, everytime I'm behind the wheel, I see Lady Liberty in front of me, A reminder that, once upon a time, this was the Land of the Free.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  21. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

.I've found plenty of them. Nobody mentioned finding a 43 zinc penny. I always thought that they were cool.

22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

In 2009, I went to the local Pick-n-Pull, found a Mitsubishi Diamonte that had real leather bucket seats. It was 1/2 price day, so they were $37.50 for the pair.
    As I was unbolting the seat rails, there was a big hard lump under the carpet on the tunnel side of the passenger seat. I sliced the carpet with my big Bowie, and a whole clump of quarters were packed in there!
    As I sliced further, more quarters...and both seats were full of them! I filled my pockets, and my cargo pockets. (I had my own wheelbarrow, so when I stacked the seats in, I could leave them in there 'til I got them outside to my F100.)
    I paid for the seats, including tax; when I got home, I turned the seats over, more quarters kept pouring out...
    Total $$ collected from seats: $79.25, and there still might be more in the driver's!

My bud Lester goes to wrecking yards here all the time. He goes thru glove boxes, finds lots of interesting stuff. An '89 Buick wagon had the owner's manual, Les thumbed the pages and five $100 bills fell out!
    He asked me if I thought the wrecking yard owner left them in there as a 'trap' to ensnare a dishonest person. (???!!?)
    He kept the $500...finally...

23. Kansas Old School

Kansas Old School
    from Kansas

I worked at a salvage yard around 1980, We would find a lot of change in the front seats of 60's gm 4dr cars. You could cut the rear bottom of the front seat and all kinds of stuff would fall out.

24. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Walking on the beach at Daytona years ago and spotted a 1909 dime. That was weird. So whats the coin in the original post worth?

25. zoegrant

zoegrant
    from CT

I was doing a body off resto on a 56 T-Bird and when I pulled the dash off there was an uncirculated 1956 penny wedged in an area where it could not have fallen into..it was manually wedged there by someone at some time.When I remove the seat in my 55 Ford, under the back seat was a small metal tin box containing condoms,circa late 50`s or early 60`s...

26. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I had to do the seats of a 67 Corvette and install new carpet. My 9 year old son was in the garage helping by picking up the loose change in the car amongst all the other garbage in the car. . He grew tired and wanted help. I told him his 3 year old sister gets half if I helped. He agreed. We found over 24 dollars worth of change. My wife counted over 300 pennies.

27. Found an unopened bottle of Yukon Jack and a box of condoms in an old Studebaker once. No coins, apparently the previous owner spent his money on booze and women.

28. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It didn't look that good when I found it! I used Mothers Mag Wheel Cleaner on it! Ckd ebay & its worth about $18-20 So its getting a hole in it & put on Key Chain & will stay with car! It was in body mount hole & Under mat under carpeting so I'm guessing was there since car was built 1961! No way it rolled under mat & carpeting so I'm guessing a builder on the line thought someday someone will find it talk about it & Guess What? We are! Tks! Bill

29. Not a coin but back in the early 90's I was cleaning out a 39 Cadillac Limo. Supposedly an old military vehicle with initials on the door. Wrapped up in a piece of cloth in the glove box I found a very large syringe and needle. Probably pretty old but who knows what in it or was on the needle? I threw it away.
    I have cleaned out hundreds of old cars and never found anything else of value. I do have lots of silver coins and silver certificates received when I was managing a gas station.

Attached Files:

30. Once you put a hole in it, it's only worth the silver, that ruins it.