Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Look what followed me home...'56 GMC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lalos53Ford, Oct 31, 2013.

1. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Looks good Steve, hope everyone is doing well brotha.. Ryan

2. rebstew187

rebstew187

How ya been Ryan? Been a while.

3. Kid's got one hell of an uncle, one hell of a work ethic, a pretty sweet project truck, and if that's his gal-pal running the English wheel...well...he's not doing too bad there either. Looks like he'll be just fine.

4. Midget25

Midget25

This post says it all, you are doing the right thing and this young man will always remember you for it. The girl friend may just be one that likes this life. My wife loves it as much as I do. Good for this young man............

5. shadams

shadams

^^aGREED. I missed the details in the first few posts, really cool what you guys have going there....

6. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Steve is a classic no non-sense guy, a true man of his word and he is a super nice guy. He has done this project with his own kids aswell, his youngest who is in grade school still I think has already had some killer cars. His daughter has claimed one of Steve's old fire chickens if I remember correctly His other boy has built a killer parts hauler too, of course with Steve's help lol so with Steve's project guidance and parental guidance his nephew will do just fine on this project! Steve I have a few small block HEI's here if nephew can use one. I will look and see what else I have laying around to help the boy out.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Awesome, reminds me of when my dad was teaching me! Except the truck I did was a bit newer, 1972 GMC.

8. rebstew187

rebstew187

Thanks for the kind words Ryan. Yep he could use an HEI. The engine he got is out of a late model truck, 1989. Yea that's late model to me. lol
    Anyway it has one of those small no vac dizzy's in it.

9. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Looks like you need to upgrade to an argon set up on your welder, it cost a little to do it but man talk about night and day, once you do it you will wonder why you waited.. Just my .02 no disrespect meant. Just saying, with argon set up you don't have to go back and clean the welded area every time you go back and start your next weld, plus it's just a generally cleaner weld.. Keep up the teaching Steve it's something nephew will remember forever....

10. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Just HOLLA man I have a complete one here, and an older accel cap for one too. I may have some other stuff, I will look around.

11. rebstew187

rebstew187

I just haven't went down to pick up a tank yet. I still have boxes on top of boxes to unpack from moving and still have cars at the old house in the garage. Been busy trying to keep up with all I have to do. At least the weather is getting better. I love it.

12. rebstew187

rebstew187

cool

13. BrownCow1992

BrownCow1992
    from joliet il

Very cool truck

14. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Moving always stinks no matter if it's cross country, or just next door. I'm surprised you remember where you have all your cars stashed lol what do you have now like 47 vehicles? Lol anyway post up some progress lets keep the ball rolling on this one. I love seeing a new generation cut his teeth.

15. rebstew187

rebstew187

Earl did some more welding on his firewall and got his engine in the pole building and up on the engine stand. No rebuild just stripping it down for a good cleaning. Getting a little ahead of himself but on rainy days such as today he can work on it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

That's the biggest challenge I've ever found is to stay on task. I had a mentor growing up that built some top notch magazine cars and I asked him one day how he built so many cars in a short time, he said you gotta have the want, the desire, the drive first off, and then even if you think you have no time to work on it find at least 1 hour a day to do atleast something, even if it's cleaning a part organizing the area/tools, just do something to it and you will be surprised how quick it will come together

17. rebstew187

rebstew187

Good advice.

18. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Hell Steve you don't need any advice with as many as you crank out lol

19. rebstew187

rebstew187

Always need advice. Never too old to learn something. :)

20. Lalos53Ford

Lalos53Ford

Hey Steve! I am so glad to see Earl saving the old GMC. It was cool to meet ya'll. I will keep watching this thread to see the progress. Is he gonna keep the 58 chevy taillights or go a different route?

21. rebstew187

rebstew187

Not sure about the taillights yet. He was thinking about a set of round lights and hanging brackets like stock one or maybe even model A's. All come down to what he can find on his budget I guess.
    Did you get that Chevy we was talking about? Red one.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  22. Lalos53Ford

Lalos53Ford

Nope.. I looked at it but found a 49 Olds instead.. The chevy was nice but the floor was completely gone along with the cross braces. Could have been saved but not for the price he was asking.

23. rebstew187

rebstew187

Good deal. I like the sound of the 49 Olds better than the Chevy anyways. Nuts about those bodies. I have a 49 Chevy fastback.

24. rebstew187

rebstew187

I know I'm going to take some heat for this with the traditionalist but with this being Earl's first build I didn't want him in a car/truck without some creature comforts. His daily is a Neon. I didn't want to shell shock him with something that was hard to steer and stop so for the first time around he's going to get power brakes, power steering, better suspension, disk brakes and more. Next build or two he can see if he wants to go the more traditional route and leave the stock stuff. We started off with the tape to see how high it sits now and we will see where it drops to. Right now it's hard to climb up in it without getting nose bleeds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I explained he needed and F body clip or a Nova. He ask where do you find something like that? I told him they were getting hard to come by. His eye flashed around while he was thinking. I told him to walk out in the woods about 50 feet. I had one in stock. :D I wrapped a chain around it and drug the Nova frame out so he could clean it up for the weld in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. rebstew187

rebstew187

A ton of measuring and marking up the concrete to get the front end back in place. It's typical on some of these early cars/trucks that the wheels don't line up in the wheel well. It drive me nuts. We set the frame a couple inches forward from the stock location to center it in the wheel well. Marked on the concrete, measurement written on paper and rechecked many, many times. Then it's time to cut it up!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. rebstew187

rebstew187

My 16 year old daughter came out to help when he cut the truck in half.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I welded a piece of metal across the front of the frame for a place to support the frame with the jack stands
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. rebstew187

rebstew187

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Frame was cleaned off good.
    [​IMG]

28. rebstew187

rebstew187

Time to make a template to follow the curves of the Nova frame.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. rebstew187

rebstew187

After getting everything where it should be we double checked everything again and did a few spot welds. At this time we run the tape measure from the back all the way to the front, crossing left to right and then the other way around. This gives you the longest reading so if you are off any it will show. We double check left to right front to back on anything and everything that where the same on both sides. Like left rear leaf spring hanger bolt to right front sway bar bolt. If it's out any you need to redo your placement of your clip or you will be running dog legged down the road. Frame was spot on so lastly we did the front clip to stuff on the firewall of the cab. Everything was dead on. Time to weld some more. The frame mates to the stock frame perfect! There is plenty of frame to weld together too so it will be very strong.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. rebstew187

rebstew187

Next it's time to get the cab bolts loose so the rest of the frame can be welded.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]