Register now to get rid of these ads!

Holley vs edelbrock what's the performance advantage?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rocketsled59, Mar 10, 2014.

1. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

I'd like to know what makes the holley four barrel carb most race guys high performance choice over the edelbrock (afb). To me the afb Is unbeatable for a street vehicle, plus I like the fact that it's not (designed ) to leak like the holley design. They also have the avs thunder series. Still the holley design seems preferred. Other companies offering (improved ) versions of same design. i.e. Demon quick fuel etc. I fully expect to have to "upgrade" to one of the holley style carbs to achieve max performance from my new motor but for now the ol 750 afb will get me on the road. Thanks in advance and I look forward to everyone's insight!RS59

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

There's about 50 threads on this. Try a search and add to one or two.

3. Tedd

Tedd

Holley is simply preferred due to typically making more power out of the box. The Holley ends up being much easier to tune overall but with some work, the Carter or Edelbrock carbs can be made to match the Holley HP numbers or full throttle performance. In the Carter/Edelbrock defense, those carbs are more street friendly and more tolerant to dirt. I've run them all with mixed results so I don't really have a favorite except on the drag cars where Holley and Demon carbs have the advantage.

Deuces likes this.
  4. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

I tried a search before I posted. Didn't come up with anything. Was kind of surprised.

5. stimpy

stimpy

for drag racing double pumper and cfm that a ABF cannot give me , for the street prefer the ABF style top loaded carbs , but once set up they do not get touched . had too many problems with holleys and the powervalves and trying to get the best adjustment , but in the upper midwest around the south side of lake michigan the air pressure changes very quickly and often so you might have it set up right one day , then next its drowning .

6. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Edelbrocks are junk... Customers ot car has one... The throttle stop adjustment has to be made with the throttle wide open... So you cant tune it while its running. His was also very slow to tell a difference while tuning fuel/air ratio. Holley is the way to go... I like them so much my dogs name is Holley...

I also hate edelbrock as a company after I had a valve cover fall apart and beat the crap out of my roller rockers and they wouldnt even send me a new valve cover...(Weld broke that was holding oil baffle and valve cover was on there for 2 road coarse runs) So if theres ANY company that offers something vs edelbrock I will ALWAYS choose other...

Everything Edelbrock is junk...

7. COOP

COOP

Hmmm.......... guess this ain't a satisfied customer. Myself, I like 'em. But I guess opinions vary.

Deuces likes this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

10. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Every holley we've ever had needed a rebuild. If you let a car sit for a month, you better pray the damn holley on that thing hasn't already died and gone to hell. I like edelbrock carbs.. hate their prices

11. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, I like my Edelbrock carb.

Ago

Just Gary likes this.
  12. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

13. This question gets both camps panties in a wad every time it comes up and it comes up often!:rolleyes:

Just use what you like. HRP

Deuces and seadog like this.
  14. Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  15. I like both edelbrock and holley carbs, have run many of them on various engines. I am going to use a Quickfuel blower carb on my 471 blown sbc. They are like a Holley on steroids, and have more tune options.

Deuces likes this.
  16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

For performance the holleys have alwasys been easier to get tune up parts for.
    I think the holleys have some better booster venturi designs that help throttle responce.

Tickety Boo and Deuces like this.
  17. carbking

carbking

Carter made a 950 CFM type AFB carb.

Jon.

18. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Unless you really know what you are doing and are a very serious racer, any properly sized, rebuilt, and tuned carb will work excellent on your car. If you are going to be tuning it yourself, pick whatever carb is easiest for you to tune, in the proper size for your application and use, and go.

Edit: I would be willing to bet if you had a professional carb guy set up and tune a Holley and an edlebrock for the same car, and put them on back to back, a large majority of people here wouldn't be able to guess which was which by the way the car performed.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

Did you follow your link? Thanks for the help. Wtf? Just asking for some insight from those who have more experience than me and something constructive to offer. Thanks to those who try to help someone with a tech ? That's what the hamb is about. I'm eager to hear more. Thanks again.

Deuces likes this.

20. Divide the times you will leave a light by the times your foot will be flat on the floor doing it. The closer you are to 1 the more you'll like a Holley.

Deuces and Jenkins Competition like this.
  21. Try this one... Copy & paste snafu, I guess. :eek:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...rchid=10055118

Not trying to be snarky about it. But sometimes the site search functions don't exactly work as expected around here. :D

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  22. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

31 Vicky that's a clever. Way to put it. I do like the edelbrocks street manners but are the quick fuels a better alternative to the Holley? I have had some very temperamental holleys in the past. If there's more performance advantage with a "Holley type" carb are there better choices? I have a fairly hot 393w. I know my 750 a&b will do to get it going but is there better street and strip performance in another carb or am I money ahead to keep what I have? Thanks again for the insight guys

23. jon83

jon83

Ive only had two edelbrocks and two holleys.

What my experience was: one eldelbrock carb had to pump a few times to get to start. The other, new out of box, developed a crack in one of the bowls.
    one of the holleys Ive had was a double pumper, no choke, racing carb.. too much for me, required me to constantly mess with it. The other ( currently using) holley 600cfm.. easy to maintain and clean.. runs good too.

Deuces likes this.
  24. Grrrrr :mad:.... You're not just messin' with me, are you? ;) I just tried it and it's working OK... :confused:

25. Not mess in' , it really doesn't work.
    Sends me to the " you've specified an invalid ..... " page

26. It's not clever, its reality.
    Street and strip applications will never do either at their full potential, any multi- purpose item doesnt do either very well.

You want a race car on the street ? You need to tolerate bad manners, shitty attitude, high maintence, and the only time you're happy is at WOT.

You want to race your street car? You need to tolerate a lower ET bracket or loosing.

Be honest about what you want and how you'll use it- really honest. 3 days out of 365 at the track isn't enough track time to deal with the BS or expense of a max effort engine.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  27. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

So really. Best would be one for street another for strip. I guess I'm buyin a carb but not nessessarily a replacement for the one I have. Just one for the strip. Cause your right Vicky. Not much strip time to be real honest. Well thanks for your input. I always like to hear other peoples take on things. Thanks guys

28. carbking

carbking

Go back and reread post number 18, about the one that YOU understand the best.

If there were one "best" carburetor, then there would be ONLY one carburetor.

Given the choices you offer, professionally, I would have to opt for the Holley. If you add a third choice, I would opt for a genuine Carter.

But again, it is not my choice, or anyone on this forum (unless you can talk someone here into tuning the carb for you;)). Its about you.

Jon.

29. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Try FBO in Oregon, plenty of good info there.

Ago