Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Plan II - 62 Chevy II Drag Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Love this build.:cool:
    AND...why don't more people incorporate this type of safety features into their street driven Hot Rod builds??? Do they feel like turning the key, with car in gear will NEVER happen to me???:confused:
    Thanks for sharing.:)

JT

1Nimrod and els like this.
  2. treeserv

treeserv
    from n.j.

Well it looks great so far squirrel !!! I'm late getting to this party haven't been on the hamb in quite sometime. My rears move forward 7 1/2 inches my frame is in the stock location I moved my tires up to the stock torque box and extended my wheel tubs forwards little bit this aluminates any framework makeing things a little easier. My motor is setback 5 1/2 inches I used a hooker headers and just move them forwards one port on the heads and rework the front tube to be the back tube. I to use the stock front frame rails and steering box The 62 steering box Pitman arm has no joint and it it's set up to accept a joint and you can ream it out to take the ford joint that speedway offers. I made My 4 1/2 foot long Ladder bars in high school when I was 16 actually school is where did all the work to the car The front frame the straight axle The tilt nose everything done in high school machine shop. Well good luck with it and I will be on the hamb following this build now.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Do you have any pics to share? I'd like to see what you've described.

els likes this.
  4. Looking great!

Sam

els likes this.
  5. Are you going to radius the wheel wells in the back and have the tires sticking out? Or stock?

Sam

els likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

thanks! The rear wheel wells are radiused, tires may or may not stick out depending on what I end up running.

Been working under the floor all week. Slow, but it's getting there. I added some braces to tie the front of the rocker to the front of the frame. nothing fancy, just bent up some 16 gauge sheet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

May not be fancy for you but i would thrilled as hell if i got something to fit that that nice

els likes this.
  8. YJ4000

YJ4000

Yea me too

els likes this.
  9. 62nova

62nova

Me too.

els likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

A little more progress. Underside is done, working on the top again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Desoto291Hemi, 1Nimrod and els like this.
  11. Gasser_Dave

Gasser_Dave
    from St. Louis

Out of curiosity, are you going to paint or coat the bottom while you have it sideways? If coating, what will you be using? I love following this build. Nice work!

Funny, you put the pictures of it up done while I was typing. Looks like you may be painting?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  12. squirrel

squirrel

I used acrylic lacquer primer. It should get nice and "used" looking in short order...remember, I'm trying to build a 4 year old race car!

13. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

hell ya nice work keep up the progress.

els likes this.
  14. squirrel

squirrel

been doing some other stuff, but back to work on the bondo. I got lots of help with the quarters...I'm on my own for finishing the rest of it, so progress will be a bit slower.

[​IMG]

15. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Had to chuckle when I saw your "Aardvark" sign. Back when I had my body shop, another shop owner was always bragging that his Yellow Page ad was at the top, because he had been in the yellow pages the longest. So, I figured I could get mine at the top of the listings at least, by starting my shop's name with an "A". Aardvark was one I seriously considered, and yes, it was true that folks would call the first name they saw. Getting back on topic, do you still use lacquer primer over your bodywork?

VANDENPLAS, 1Nimrod and els like this.
  16. squirrel

squirrel

I'm probably going to use a urethane primer on the outside of the body. I have to decide soon, I'm about ready to put something on it.

been almost 25 years since I got the Aardvark sign made, I had my shop "in town" for several years, then when we moved out here to the country, I ran the business from home. The business is still here, but I hardly ever do any work any more.

17. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Looking good, Jim!

Malcolm

els likes this.
  18. mt94ss

mt94ss

40 year old race car?

The car looks great underneath.

Fun watching along. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

els likes this.
  19. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Are you planning to put some color on it and if so what color is it going to be?

20. squirrel

squirrel

Color...good question. I'm leaning towards the original Nassau blue, but I'm going to shoot some on a test panel first and see how it looks. I'm not a very good painter, and since the blue is a fine metallic color, I might be better off with something else. I'd like to use an original color, to fit the theme of being an almost new car that didn't need a repaint yet.

21. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I always like Marina Blue

22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

A lot of cars back then got painted in a little garage by their owners, so it doesn't have to be perfect to be period! ;) I'm contemplating painting my Falcon myself when it's ready. I've only done hoods, or fenders previously, so I hope mine comes out OK.

23. squirrel

squirrel

It won't be perfect, but I want it to be presentable. We'll see how it goes.

I painted my Suburban last summer, I get a lot of compliments on it, although I know it's a long long ways from perfect. Maybe people are just being nice? or they can't see all the flaws I can see

24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I think most of us are more critical of our work than others are. We see little tiny things that most others don't notice.

25. squirrel

squirrel

I see large quarter panels full of orange peel.

26. Great project and great coverage Jim! A real fun one to follow. When I was younger, probably like you, orange peal didn't bother me. Just another few days of cutting and buffing, no problem. Shoulder surgery sure is expensive, both in time and money.

els likes this.
  27. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

It is always easier to sand and buff dry spots, than runs.

28. squirrel

squirrel

...and so much easier to prevent dry spots, by knowing what you're doing. I learned a lot painting the Suburban, but there's always so much more to learn.

Shot a little bit of urethane primer on the back of the body.

[​IMG]

29. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

seems like a lot of these you see are either white or red.White might be pretty basic but for what it is it would match your racing direction.

els likes this.
  30. squirrel

squirrel

I am considering white, but the problem is it's so damn boring