Register now to get rid of these ads!

Notch leaf spring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by murdog, Mar 8, 2014.

1. murdog

murdog
    from waterloo

My leaf springs are 2 1/2 wide... Can I use the grinder and make them 2" wide at the front to clear frame??? I want to move springs inward. get bigger tire inside factory tub

2. indyjps

indyjps

I wouldn't.

3. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

Not recommended as they are spring steel and you will weaken it. Take them to a spring shop and they can exchange the main leaf for one that will work or make one for you. Better safe than sorry. I have seen a few broken leaf springs on it's never pretty when the break is in front of the u bolts.
    Dan

4. willymakeit

willymakeit

Wouldn't think there is a problem as long as they were reradiused ect. If I understand the question tho, your only going to gain 1/4'' on one side of the spring. Look for offset spring hangers. Hope this helps.

5. If you do grind on the side of the spring, taper the spring evenly all the way back to the U bolts, then radius the edges and buff them smooth. Avoid any sudden change in width or deep scratches. Doing this won't leave a place for cracks to start.

6. Not advisable,plus you would go through a ton of grinding disc. HRP

7. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

don't reinvent the wheel. get offset hangers or move whole pack to the inside.

8. a little known fact here. the factory super stock 427 mercury comets came from the factory with notches in the springs. just like you are describing. history has shown they were successful.

9. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

Hi
    Do you have a welder? I would cut the mounts and move them over. I know semi trucks have notched springs, but they were designed that way. If you cut your factory spring it might be weekend. If you have no choice but to cut it, I would find a matching main spring that is alittle thicker .

Toxic Waste

10. stimpy

stimpy

on trucks the springs we notched were done before they heat treated them so no stress risers would start , after heat treat I would leave a spring alone and the heat treat is shallow and any heat build up will take it out and start a stress riser and cracks , just get a kit to move it over or buy a new set of narrowed springs .