Register now to get rid of these ads!

What does your spouse think about this hobby.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rebstew187, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Rollingmenace

Rollingmenace

Well I don't have a wife but I've been with my girl going on five years in may... She came into my life when it was a real mess and I'm grateful she did ... Her brother was into cars but she never had a serious interest... She has stuck with me through all my crazy hobbies but has always been supportive..she is a numbers girl being an accountant and always let's me know when I'm going to far... I believe it has actually helped us grow a relationship into something great.. Untill me she had never ridden on a motorcycle.. Let alone ridden one on her own.. She started on the back of mine... Then I built her her own fully set up 3wheeler taught her how to ride it.. Now she looks foreward to trips to the sand dunes to ride.... I ended up building her own motorcycle from a pile of parts and we are currently learning to ride it on her own should be ready mid summer... Then came the cars she seems to be enjoying the cars.. It's a new thing for us she likes riding in the 51 and is even embracing a little of the pin up and hot rodder scene... She still cringes when she sees the prices of these things and the costs... But that's just is number cruncher in her... And truth be told we've been discussing selling one of the El Caminos. To help fund building up a 51-52 ford pickup into a full custom rod for her... Her dad has a f3 in the back 40 that were gonna start on this summer and she is even receptive to to getting dirty doing it..... So I've decided to go a mustangIi front suspension and a four link rear..smallblock ford and auto tranny.. She wants it purple big wheels, with power steering brakes air conditioning, modern interior power tinted windows... I really think I found a keeper.....

2. flat34pu

flat34pu

first wife lasted 6mo, second 36yrs. both not into cars or trucks which i love.

hopefully 3rd time is the charm.
    rich

3. Lil32

Lil32

I am a lucky man like DavyJ, start the coupe up and she is in the passenger seat, flys across to LARS each year with me, never complains about walking around Pomona Swap or any swap for five or six hours a day. Sure I will do Malls with her , its a shared thing. Coming over for the 50th LARS in June

4. Maybury

Maybury

I am one of the fortunate ones as my wife of 17 years really enjoys the hobby:D
    She has the old 52 that is driven all the time in good weather as it is still not finished...but it is hers and she has a lot of fun with it.

Every year we take a nice 5 hour drive to the Milltown Rod show with a few of our friends.

Her other favorite show is the Atlantic Nationals in Moncton NB

And she runs the Brewer Days car show for our son's scout troop.

Attached Files:

5. luke13

luke13

i was like this when she got here. only differance is im just cleaner and well feed now.

6. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

I was rebuilding the engine in my 68 El Camino when we met. A few months later she bought a 52 Chevy Coupe for a daily driver. I knew right then that she would be wife #4. Yea, I know, 4 of em, but I'm just not a quitter. Been married for 23 years now and have had quite a handful of cars and bikes and she's always helping out when I need it. She's a great 'ol gal to take along to the car shows, cruises, swap meets, yard sales, you name it. If it's auto related, she's right there gettin' into the thick of it. I started collecting die casts and hot wheels when we first met and now, with her help, I have about 4000 of them, and she's bought probably about 30% of those. We have a VW trike that is our daily driver in the summer and it's very rare that I go anywhere alone on that thing...she always comes out running with her helmet in hand, sayin' "where ya going, can I come?" Now, she's constantly on me to get the roadster on the road and I love it and I love her. I have no complaints with her. She survived a cerebral aneurysm 16 years ago, so she's my miracle and I wouldn't trade her for anything.

7. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

My wife supports anything I do that keeps me in the shop.

8. She "gave me the go" on this yesterday with a smile on her face. She gets into my projects with me. Yeah, I'm a fortunate man.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1394019342.106940.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Fifty two years, four kids, custom van, 4X4s, Corvette, muscle cars, motorcycles, snowmobiles, pickups, station wagons etc. and she hauled kids around in all of 'em from time to time. Likes the "29 if its warm outside and doesn't mess her hair up. She enjoys the camaraderie more than the car.;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  10. My wife once told someone that asked about my hobby, "I know where he is at night". I guess that sums it up pretty good, got a great wife and we respect each others interests.

11. hallrods

hallrods

My wife girlfriend at the time laugh when I bought my first hot rod. She said you payed 2000.00 dollars for a car with no floor or no steering wheel? She hated that I worked on the car with my dad until 9:00 during the week and didn't spend time with her. I talked her into helping one night she showed up in little white sweat pants scared my dad right out of the garage. She started liking it when the car was painted and we were assembling it. I have been married for 26 years and have 3 kids soon to be a grandfather and she is as beautiful now as the day I met her.

12. greener200

greener200

My wife could care less about my 39 ford truck . Everytime were late on the mortgage she says ,why don,t we sell your truck! . Truck was here befor you darling and it will be here after you . Is my standard responce. I go to shows ,swapmeets ,She don,t . In her defence , she is disabled and cannot walk great distances with being in pain. She is a great mother and wife in other respects . The cool thing is all 5 of my kids are into it , I tell them when I,M DEAD you better not sell my truck or I,LL COME BACK AN HAUNT YOU !. they laugh ,I don,t think they will MP

13. My wife could care less really, and that's totally fine with me. If I married a woman as interested in cars as I am, we'd be broke with a yard full of cars.

14. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

My wife enjoys it,our Wedding cars were a friends 34 Ford 2dr sedan 302 powered and a 38 Buick 4dr sedan 455 powered.42 years ago when we started going out I broke her into the car world,she would come to the shop and sand sharp edges on the domes of pistons, clean parts,or hang out,when I was into Drag Racing she ran a car as well,when I got into Hot Rods she went to shows with me,she has her off topic ghost flamed Corvette.She's only been to a couple of swap meets.She asks if they are going to have a woman's section if not she'll stay home.When we went to the second HHR in Bowling Green Kentucky we went to the Corvette Museum for her,(thankfully the earth behaved) then when we went to it when they switched to Ohio we went to Niagara Falls on the way.I figure just give it some balance,it's worked for 42 years.She often says I'm off this weekend any shows you want to go to.So I guess she's into it,or she's been faking for 42 years

15. 1963phil

1963phil

I'm only 18 and all the girls that are my age care about is imports or big lifted diesel trucks. All you other guys with women that care about this old stuff are very lucky.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

There are plenty out there and some don't even know it. Get a girl involved and they come around. A clean car and interior helps a lot. A big seat means she can sit next to you while you're driving, no pesky console splitting you up like the new cars. Go to car shows on a nice days. Save the swap meet march until she's warmed up to the idea.

Mine a really girlie girl always has to be perfect. Once she found out she wouldn't get her clothes dirty and she wouldn't get hurt she would come for rides. After a while she started understanding things and would hang out while I was working on it. She is pretty supportive now but I do my swap meet crawls alone.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  17. wicarnut

wicarnut

She likes it, I'm a Lucky guy and Thankful for my wife #2, 30+ years now, one of my best decisions in life. Her understanding of ME and the "Car Crazy" hobby ( obsession), I was involved in racing when we met, so she knew what it was going to be like, accepted it and always supports, helps me with everything I/We do. In return I support her interests and we do spend time together doing other things, she has broadened my horizons big time. The wife does come to cruises and shows occasionally, enjoys the people. Wife tells me, She enjoys her alone time when I'm off playing with my Toys. Life is Good! John

18. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

My wife likes the cars, and is glad I have a hobby that keeps me home, and not under her feet! Whenever I start a project, or make changes she usually comments that it's great I'm starting something so I wont be bored.
    She rarely goes along to car events, as she says it's a guy thing, and she isn't interested in hanging with my buddies. I see very few gals at most car events, whether it's shows or the drags.

19. big bad john

big bad john

Well...my girlfriend likes to ride in the hotrods .likes the most when people gives us a thumb up sign....she still thinks they are lookin at her....I don't have the heart to tell her its the car that gets the attention

20. racer_dave

racer_dave

I never really had any serious girlfriends that lasted. I'd tell them we can go out any night of the week but once racing season starts up every Friday and Saturday I'll be at the track racing. They didn't stick around long.

My wife has stuck through that, of course I don't race as much as I used to. Her interest in the cars is more that she admires the skill and effort it takes for me to turn metal into something functional. She only goes to the races a few times a year for me but my son races quarter midgets now and she goes to those.

She likes the street cars a bit after they are done, but doesn't get into it too much during the restoration 'process'. I guess I'm the same way with her horses. I certainly admire the skill and training it takes to train and ride, but not into it myself. I go to a few horse shows a year, and I'll go on trail rides too sometimes.

It must be a good balance because we've been married 15 years. She's encouraging me to maybe race less and build street cars more, which I'm seriously considering. She did say she wants a convertible, so I'll have to build something.

21. Gman0046

Gman0046

My spouse is not a car person but she puts up with what I do and is somewhat supportive. Occasionally when I need another hand to complete something she will pitch in and help. She's been to many out of town events and reads her books while I look around. Good news is she doesn't complain about the money I spend on my hobby.

22. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

My wife doesn't understand the obsession and wants nothing to do with it.
    My girlfriend on the other hand digs it! :eek:

23. ChefMike

ChefMike

My wife is very much a part of it, she has been learning to weld and as she says she always knows were I'am so shetakes the garage over the bar any day! Love My Wife!

24. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

25. salazarich

salazarich

i am looking for a girl that likes my art, music, hot rods, orignal cars and classics.

26. Isn't there another thread like this? I seem to recall posting no spouse, no problems or to that effect.

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife and I spent a number of our first dates at Little River aka Temple-Academy drag strip in Texas in the spring of 1969 and were married in August that year. We drag raced, street raced and then did the hot rod /street rod thing with the 48 and the T bucket that she used to sneak out of the garage and take a ride around town while I was at work.

She has always enjoyed going to shows and rod runs as she has made friends with a number of women over the years that she gets to visit with and catch up with at the shows but doesn't have to "do things " with the rest of the year. For her the Hot rod or custom car or truck means that she gets to go places on short vacations away from home and have a fun weekend.

I quit racing early on in our marriage as I saw too many other guys who expected their families to sacrifice too much so that the race car could race the next weekend. Outside of my daughter never getting a trip to Disneyland my family has never given up anything or done without because the money was spent on the car rather than family needs.

We don't have fancy furniture or a real fancy house and over the past 44 years a number of the cars my wife drove were cars that i picked up cheap, built an engine for and gave to her to drive rather than making payments on one. I think that is the key, don't expect your wife or kids to sacrifice on the basic needs because you pour all of your money in the car. Basic needs meaning all of the bills paid, decent food on the table and presentable clothes on their backs. It's ok if your wife occasionally shops at yard sales for clothes for the kids because they out grow their clothes before you can think but it isn't ok if she is buying their clothes at yard sales with the change she kept from the store because she bought the .99 bread rather than the good bread and used the cheap tuna in the tuna helper to stretch what few bucks you gave her for food far enough to buy a few yard sale things for the kids. I say that because I have seen it happen while the race car had a new cam or new set of pistons that week and the kids had hamburger helper or beans and weenies. Not at my house but I have seen it happen.

28. We spent a few years flipping cars and parts to pay the bills, so my wife gets it. Never says boo about bringing home cars or parts. They are all money in the bank. She also loves the old cars, and helps in the garage if needed doing the parts cleaning and sanding, the stuff I hate, so it works out good.

29. RCM59

RCM59

Totally digs the whole deal. Likes the unfinished rougher looking sleds. Couldn't ask for more support. Loves to ride in either the hotrod or on the bike.

30. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

My wife of near 31 years is supportive though doesn't' really care to have her own vehicle, but will ride with wherever the destination is to events. Doesn't really see what I'm seeing in projects at times, but has seen the end results and trust my judgment in purchases and I don't have to bargain with her when to do so. When taking the topless A V/8 she'll throw a blanket in and pins up her hair, but draws the line when fancied up/decked out for a wedding and such 'cause she don't want to be "blown apart". Have a hardtop custom in the works for future occasions. She's a keeper.