Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 33 chevy 3w....time for a cool change

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by tb33anda3rd, Feb 11, 2014.

1. i wish i could use these valve covers but they are for the staggered bolt hole heads.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. I agree those valve covers are nice! Like the red:cool: It will match the rims:rolleyes:

hipster and volvobrynk like this.
  3. i guess if i make a spacer plate with countersunk lower screws to hold it to the head and studs sticking up to hold down the covers. has anyone done this?

ct1932ford and volvobrynk like this.
  4. Sounds Good! I think I have seen something like that done before. Did anyone ever make such an adapter??

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. burnout2614

burnout2614

This car is unbelievably straight. peace

6. the deck lid and around the fuel filler need the most attention. my dad remembered the only dent on the lower front of the driver rear fender when he got it.

7. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Just get some early staggered heads...I got a spare pair of 1958 283 heads if you want them.

8. stick6coupe

stick6coupe

Looks great! My '35 was also dads car back in the day.

9. i thought the early heads were not as good?
    i will probably use these heads, i have spent the money on them already...but i will do some research [e-mail Dave] and get back to you. thanks for the generous offer.:D
    i do have a set of weiand valve covers that i was planning on polishing, but they look different [modern].

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. thanks!
    nice! is it the one in your avitar? have any pictures? then and now? i would love to see them.

11. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

There are adapters to use early valve covers on late heads but I don't know who has them...

12. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Not to be a vulture but... I happen to have a couple early SBC's and a love for all things WEIAND...

13. dubcee

dubcee

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1394232136.800007.jpg here is the 35 my dad is resurrecting from its original glory in 1959

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

volvobrynk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. there are a couple on the bay, but my neighbor has a cnc router he thinks he can cut some out for me.

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. the staggered bolt hole covers i won't part with, they are the ones my dad had on the car. the other set is for the "newer" style....those i might get rid of:).

16. chopped, a hemi, and a set of slicks...awesome!

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Don't blame ya. :cool:

18. do you have pictures of the why-and stuff you have?

19. TheKeystoneKid

TheKeystoneKid
    from Allentown

Love the Chevy coupes. You don't see to many of the 33-34 ones

20. That is one bad ass looking coupe!:cool:

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. stripped the rumble lid and back of the car to repair some dents, cracks, and adjust the fit on the lid. both sides of the opening had cracks that needed to be welded. i had had these welded when i had the car painted, then they cracked again, i had them welded again but they still split. with the rumble lid off i realized there was a broken support along the panel below the opening and after i removed it, i found that both rear body bolts were missing:eek:. i could pry the body off the frame. so i checked the rest of the body bolts....out of the ten that should be there i found four:eek::confused: the two on the sill at the middle of the door and the two at the firewall. my dad nor i have any idea where they went or how long they have been missing. the two rear ones were tarred over so they were not there when my dad built it. i think this extra stress is what cracked the metal.

Attached Files:

23. i did not have the camera before i fixed the passenger side so i only have an after shot of that side. driver side before and after.

Attached Files:

ct1932ford, scott27 and volvobrynk like this.
  24. i decided to replace the broken, wood, cross brace, that ran below the deck lid. it supported the panel and held the shape of the back of the car. when chevy built it they started with the wood cross brace then screwed a sheet metal panel to it, then they wrapped the outer panel around that along the top edge and welded it to the quarter panels. the wood broke into lots of pieces and i was left with the inner panel with screws sticking out. i cut the screw off and ground them flat.
    since i would have to cut the back of the car apart to fasten a replica piece of wood in, it was better to use a piece of steel tubing. this would allow me tie the metal hinge braces, the steel angles that connect the quarter panel and the body mount together.

Attached Files:

25. i then made a set of "fender nuts" to attach the deck lid. the square trap nuts had broke a long time ago and was part of the reason the deck lid never fit or worked right. these allowed me to make adjustments but lock tight. i installed just the wood rumble lid frame using the shoulder bolts and it opens and closes nicely. now i just have to refit the skin and do a final adjustment

Attached Files:

26. You do nice work!:cool: It must run in the family:rolleyes:

hipster likes this.
  27. Sprockmonster

Sprockmonster

If you insist!!

Haha :D

"Where I'm from, you don't mess with another man's woman... or his hat.- Jase Robertson

ct1932ford likes this.
  28. spent some time fitting the deck lid and it needs more work before i am happy with it.
    dad put the reproduction tach in and tested it, it will come back out when we paint the dash but i wanted to make sure it worked in case i had to send it back.
    we also pulled off the bumpers and took them apart to paint the brackets. i have worked on a bunch of chevies but never noticed the bow ties embossed into the bumper braces. probably because normally i sand blast them but these i just sanded.

Attached Files: