Register now to get rid of these ads!

Winter wake-up of an old 55 Chevy Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Liquid Wrench, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Liquid Wrench

Liquid Wrench
    from Maine

Hello everyone! Great forum, what a tremendous resource of information here. Been lurking for a while and finally got around to registering.

I thought I'd share some pics of a 55 Chevy Gasser that belonged to a close friend who sadly passed away Fall 2012. I had wanted to buy this car for many years and fortunately, his family offered it to me last October. This car had been buried in a barn and not started since 1997 and although in decent shape it needed some love.

I've spent most of the Winter waking up the old 55 with new fuel tank, lines, brakes etc. The interior was pretty infested with mouse houses so it got pulled out, new carpet and skins for the 66 Chevelle buckets. By the middle of January, it was pretty well sorted out and ready to roll but with three feet of snow on the ground, it would be some time before this old girl would hit the streets of Maine. One night, while tinkering on the car, my buddy who had been helping me on this project and I decided to pack up, load it on a trailer and head to a friends house in Daytona Beach for a week of cruising and take in a local car meet. The car ran like a bear, zero issues during the entire trip and what a great time we had. Here's a few pics I thought I'd share.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. slowmotion

slowmotion

Welcome to the HAMB. Hell yea!

3. captmullette

captmullette

nice....have fun....wonder what it'll run , I see a parachute ??

4. 35chevymaster

35chevymaster
    from indiana

5. Liquid Wrench

Liquid Wrench
    from Maine

Met a cool guy while Christmas shopping in Freeport Maine who mentioned the "Gassah Guys" events. Hope to do a couple this summer. Should be interesting to see how it goes. Feels pretty strong, it's got a 396, no idea on cam but pretty lumpy, Muncie 4 speed and 12 bolt 4.11 posi. We'll see!

6. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

What a BITCHIN Car !! Welcome, Chris

7. Great 55! Sorry to hear about your friend but I am sure he/she is happy that you have revived the car. I love Maine, it is my second home and am there all the time in summer......my dad had a nasty 55 way back, 409 powered, high 11 second car on the street in 68.

8. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

Damn! Badass! Welcome from The Land of Enchantment, New Mexico!

9. brady1929

brady1929

10. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice car. Sorry about your friend but I'm sure he's happy that you have it.

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

What's not to like; I even like your trailer (hate wood on a trailer!). And to drive that far, just to drive the car....................................Butch/56sedandelivery.

12. Liquid Wrench

Liquid Wrench
    from Maine

Thanks for the compliments guys! -It's been a but surreal waking up this car as I'd drooled over it for so many years when I'd visit my buddy. It still does not feel like it's my own.

I'm sure he was riding along with us and smiling during that trip to Florida, it went so smooth, easy going with not the slightest of problems. So glad to have just winged it and ran without plans.

As for that old trailer, it's funny as next to my Matchbox collection, that trailer is my oldest possession, had it for 30+ yrs. It was built by an old girlfriends Dad in the late 70's and has a bit of cool history. He built it for his ex Sox & Martin, Hemi Cuda that he ran at New England Dragway in the Super Pro class. It's light and tows incredibly well. Hope to sandblast it and give it a good coat of POR15 this spring.

Fun place here, I belong to many special interest forums but can't believe the amount of cool info here. Mind boggling!

-Here's a couple 'artsy' shots my buddy took.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

Man that is a sweet ride glad you are the care taker of the car,sorry about the loss of your friend .

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

The car is absolutely perfect, just the way one should be done. Sorry about the loss of your friend but as people mentioned he would be happy with it getting into the good hands of a friend who loves it as much as he did.

How about some pictures of the motor?

Don

15. belair

belair

Great car and a neat story. I have a black 210 2 door with a story a little like yours. Your car certainly went to the right guy.

16. Liquid Wrench

Liquid Wrench
    from Maine

Thanks a lot. We all miss him very much. He way a really cool guy, loved all sorts of cars/bikes/boats, basically anything cool in general. A real character for sure. He knew how much I had wanted the car but it was so buried that it just never happened. He died of cancer at 55 yrs old. It set in fast and he did not want anyone to know and had no use for pity-parties.

A week before he passed, he came up to my house for a few days of boating and relaxing. We had a lot of fun, hit a few local bars, took in some music and ripped it up pretty well. He left on a Tuesday morning, checked into a hospital on Sunday and passed away a day later. So sad, beyond words.

As for the motor, it's a 396, not sure what's in it but it's got a nice lumpy idle and pulls really strong once wound up. Needs a bit of cleaning but going to enjoy this beast just the way it is for now.

Thanks for the interest,

Kurt

[​IMG]

17. Sorry to hear about you're friend. I'm sure he will be smiling down as you smoke the tires of that sweet '55 though.

18. High5

High5

Beautiful car and very cool story. My condolences.

As other's have stated, I'm sure he's pleased you are the proud owner. You're going to have a blast this summer!

I rescued a Vette from the estate of a close friend who passed from cancer at the age of 55. I always coveted his car and the chances were slim I would own it. But........

You always wonder if fate doesn't play a role somehow.

19. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Awesome car
    Awesome story
    And I am glad you have your friends car...
    Good for you.

20. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

Welcome from Virginia. Love your car. I'm into gassers. In the process of restoring a 55 Ford gasser myself.

21. CGkidd

CGkidd

Welcome from PNW. (Actually Just horth of equator in North Pacific.) Cool story I am sure your buddy is looking down with a smile.

22. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

Great looking car. Sorry about your buddy.

23. burnout2614

burnout2614

Sweet hard top! You and your buddy will talk about that adventure for a long time. peace

24. Glad you got the car. It's got more meaning to you than just about anyone else.
    Big block & 4 speed=good times!

25. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Welcome from the west coast of Florida.

That is one of the nicest 55's I have seen in a long time.

Everything about the car looks perfect. I am sorry to hear about your good friends passing but I think he would really like the idea that it has found another good home.

I have always believed that instead of being called the owners of cars and other things we have that really we are just the care takers until someday it passes on to someone else.

Best of luck with it. Jimbo

26. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Very cool car and a great link to your dear friend. Hoping to see more pix and updates of that fine '55.

27. Good deal, glad you brought it back to life. Your friend would be happy!

28. You should bring it to the Fitchburg cruise and swap meet...it has grown each year, getting pretty big and a lot of great period cars,,,easy drive from 95, 495 to route 2

29. Cool car and story, enjoy it man !