Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Does it need to spin that fast? Just wondering if discs would last longer if it was belt drive and slowed down...

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The paper will last pretty good if you use it as a sander not a grinder and always wear good gloves.

3. BarryA

BarryA

Gloves on a disc sander are not a good idea - if it grabs you it'll want to pull your hand in......
    Keep the gap between the table and disc as tight as possible, keep your work on the table. And pay attention to where your fingers are at all times!

4. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I love this thread.

5. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

What he said...X2

6. bjinatj

bjinatj

Myself and a couple of other guys were at the Chicago Autorama helping Gene Winfield chop a 41 Ford Coupe top this weekend. While Gene and I was talking about a particular shape he drew a diagram of random tools in his shop. I am uploading it for the others guys in the chop as I said I would. Below is a cropped version of the picture as well as a link to the larger copy.

The top left picture is multiple pieces of different sized steel tubing that have been welded together with a 3/32 gap so you can put sheet metal in the gap and bend it over the multiple radius.

The picture on the right is a length of rail road tie that has been shaped to create a nice anvil for shaping metal. Gene mentions that this takes quite some time to create, but is well worth the time spent.

The picture on the bottom is a table that Gene has in his shop. The table top has a different radius on each corner, a smaller ledge underneath made from angle iron with expanded metal for a bottom and small lengths of tubing welded around it to hold hammer handles. The table has a 2" top and 3 wheels for self leveling. Most of these tools can be seen in his metalshaping DVD's.

I hope you enjoy..

http://www.oldtinrods.com/images/gene_winfield-tools_LG.jpg

[​IMG]

7. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Agreed. I made my gap 3/32" when the table is 90 degrees to the disk.

8. 63 Avanti 3137

63 Avanti 3137

from pg 77 post 1526
    I liked the idea so much I tried it but couldn't get the light to actually shine where I wanted so I modified the mounting point...
    [​IMG]

9. I found that an LED torch works great as opposed to a normal bulb light.

10. Came across this. Trying to think of what to turn it into. Its not very deep, so that rules out louver press.

Attached Files:

11. Wardog

Wardog

Roll it over 90°.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. powrshftr

powrshftr

Agreed.

That also applies to bench grinders,belt sanders,or any type of machine with a stationary guide/guard,and a moving surface.

Saw a first year apprentice a few years back grinding a small piece of flat stock for a bracket,then a loud BANG when the machine caught the part,and his glove,and jammed into that big old grinding wheel.
    He didn't really make much of a sound,but was just kind of in a daze,as that little mishap
    Had just roved his index finger up to the second knuckle and left a jagged shard of bone and bloody meat hanging out the ragged end of where te glove used to be.

Power tools can be extremely dangerous if you let your guard down Brothers.

Be safe.

Scott

13. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

and then i'm going use my table saw while wearing a tie and cufflinks![​IMG]

14. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

NO,NO,NO! Neckties are for when you are using a lathe. Everyone knows that. :D

15. atch

atch

used to know a machinist who had a billy gibbons sort of beard. i never saw it not in a ponytail. and before he turned on any lathe or drill press the beard/ponytail went into his shirt.

i just don't have the mental capacity to imagine what would happen if you got your beard caught in a spinning machine...

16. NO<NO<NO ties are for bed post .

17. Should have read no,no, ties are for bed post .

18. rodl

rodl

Don't wear one when using a pedestal drill either! :eek: Back in the early 80's when I was teaching Plumbing Apprentices, I had to do stint with junior kids in a technical school. The model I was teaching them required the use of a bench pedestal drill, which as luck would have it, I set at the lowest RPM. These kids about 14 YO had to wear safety glasses as well as a shop apron, which tied at the back. After giving a demo of the procedure, which included clamping the work piece to the drill table, I let the students begin drilling the hole they required in their work piece, I had watched about half a dozen do it with a problem, when a student asked me a question, with my attention diverted, I didn't notice the class clown set up his job on the drill. I also didn't notice his apron was untied:eek: Next thing I knew was a loud yelp and turned around to see this kids apron wrapped around the drill chuck and his head pulled in close to the drill stand.:eek::eek:. I quickly turned the drill motor off and called the class around to see what can happen when you don't treat machinery with caution! Lesson learnt both by me as well as the students. Couldn't have happened to a nicer little shit:rolleyes:

19. Speed bag stand.

20. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

machinist all my life, no jewelry, beards ,long sleeves or etc.

Ago

21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You know when I use my gloves I treat them like my skin and I still have all of it.

22. There are certain times that I will wear a pair of tight fitting smooth leather gloves around spinning machine spindles, but I would never recommend it to others. If you are "feelin' lucky punk," it is sometimes better than getting burned by red hot mill and lathe chips, but avoid the long stringy drilling chips like they are the plague.
    In machinist school, we had a kid get his long beautiful hair wound up in a boring attachment on a large gearhead drillpress. It ripped a chunk out of his scalp which caused a lot of blood and squealing. We all learned a very graphic lesson that day.
    I've worked with my hands all my life, got all my fingers and toes and only blackened a finger nail once in my life.

23. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Heard of a young girl with long hair working in a store, her hair got caught in a conveyor and broke her neck. (she died).

Ago

24. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

there was a long haired college girl die spinning metal on a lathe a few years back.

25. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

could we get back to homemade tools please? this discussion needs to be on garage journal.

26. dadseh

dadseh

For a minute there I thought I had opened the WTF thread!

27. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Looking at all the pictures of homemade tools reminds me of how Vic Irvan started off years ago making tools.

He still is at it and makes some very interesting tools for the trade.

I don't know how old he is now but the business is now called Smith/Irvan Tools but he has been around for years do it thing and making great tools.

Jimbo

http://https://www.irvansmith.com/scart/index.php

ironrodder likes this.
  28. olcarguy

olcarguy

I used one of those utility broom clips that go on the wall. Makes it easy to remove the flash light when not needed. The cheap dollar store led flashlights fit great.

29. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

The wtf comment rang a bell, I had for years had a 1/4" lip turner for starting the edge of a pc of metal to run thru the edge former on the Lockformer pittsburgh machine. Then that wtf moment spending time turning a flange on the inside of a panel using a pliers. I made up the smaller one, then could not remember where it was... made the bigger one, then drilled hole and hang it on the wall well sometimes.
    Make your cuts accurate, what I mean by that the is a bend allowance! depending on you flange 1/4 or 1/2 make you cuts accordingly. The different angles make it easier to start a flange, sometimes I start with one finish with 90 degree slot.

edgeturner1.jpg

these are so easy to make! scratchers for laying out edge lines two little cuts with the snips! I fold the edge on some, they do wear out but last a long time and they don't cost anything! A real metal man would not be caught dead with a store bought made in Idontgivastan edgers!

guages1.jpg

30. I know a few LIVING metal guys who have store bought ones.:D