Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 3100 Truck Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shadams, Mar 21, 2011.

1. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Draw a line on both sides of the glass. Use glass cutter and straight edge to score both sides on the exact same line. You may score more than once. Use pliers to snap, then a razor blade to cut the plastic. Cut curves using straight lines, then sand with sander to smooth edges, carefully and slowly, minimizing heat and vibration.

2. shadams

shadams

Thanks, I saw you or someone else do that, but didnt realize it was laminated. That stuff is thick. It seems like I may just need to trim one corner a bit.

edit: I found your thread, soon as I saw it I remembered reading it...thnaks again, it looks like home depot sells those cutters.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  3. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Just standard glass cutter.....nothing special.

Call me if you have any questions.

704 301 3611

4. kevin1226

kevin1226

I to am in a similar situation. I just purchased a 53 chevy 3100. After many misleading pictures and lots of questions and talking on the phone i felt it was a good purchase. Since it came from a hot rod shop i figured it to be at least safe to drive. It being a rat rod truck i knew it had rust but was told it was solid underneath. I tell you, my 12 yr old son could have done better welds. Now its off to a couple buddies of mine at the body shop to brace it up as it should be. The clear coat was shot with no hardener so its sticky and no longer shines.
    I must say that this truck wasnt bought in south texas, where i live. Down here we are pretty honest, especially when its one hot rod guy to another.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. shadams

shadams

Checked out your truck in your other post, pretty sweet.

[​IMG]

Looking at yours brings up something I have been thinking... I installed the factory valence/gravel shield/whatever and it just doesn't look good at all. I originally wanted to shorten my bumper brackets up and mount it like how yours is but I wonder if you have a rear bumper on front because the stock front one is curved too much, the ends actually hit the fenders before it is close enough... Hmm...

6. ...you can cut about 3" off each end to pull the bumper back, works great...you'll have to shorten the brackets and splashpan or leave it off.. I left mine off, moved the bumper back as far as I could without shortening the ends.
    ...the one above does look like a rear as they are straighter.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  7. kevin1226

kevin1226

Yes i believe it is a rear bumper. My front and rear bumpers are the same width. The front bumper is mounted more inward and up. You can barely see the bottom of the front grill when looking at it from the front.

8. shadams

shadams

That is exactly what I am going to do...I was out there in my PJ's last night looking at it and that is what I came up with. I just hope I can get then ends to look like they havent been messed with. I have also decided to redo my front core support/bumper bracket set up, it just doesnt seem strong enough plus I think I need to lower the front end slightly to get the hood to line up better.

I like it, it looks good. I have a rear bumper that I thought about using on front, but really want to run it on back and they are hard to find used as it is, I just found a rear on Monday..

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  9. I used a torch before to wack off the ends, then clean it up with a grinder...works on a driver-quality bumper.

10. oldman2

oldman2

I shortened my bumper 3" per side so I could move it inboard. I also shortened the original brackets, I think it was 3" but not sure. If you mark up your bumper and then cut it with a cut off wheel, you should be able to paint the end with some paint (to keep from rusting)...Jim

Attached Files:

11. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I just re drilled my bracket holes up about 1/2" and foreward about 2" and slid the bumper back. Took about 1/2 hour.

12. shadams

shadams

Finally got my plates registered!! Glad thats out of the way, dont have to dick with that for 5 yrs woohoo!

Also cut and attempted to install my back window, and I cracked it, woo hoo!! Damn I was pissed at myself....

I was wondering why it was laminated to begin with, would you want tempered glass for everything but the front? Looks like everyone offers either or.... either way it was one of those things that really bummed me out, so damn frustrating. Welp, back at it this weekend hopefully...

13. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

Most vehicles nowadays have tempered glass everywhere except the windshield.

The disadvantage of tempered is that it can't be cut; laminated can be, usually.

I guess that tempered can be cut if you don't mind it exploding into a million pieces.

Having had some "fun" with the glass in my truck I would recommend just sanding off the edge if you only have to remove a little glass to get it to fit.

14. shadams

shadams

So I tackled the front bumper today. Traced the contour onto some cardboard, cut it out, measured back 2" and cut

1395076555221.jpg

1395076565753.jpg

Re-engineered my front bumper/core support (hideous before and not much better after) and welded the bumper directly to the core support rather than bolt. Solid as a rock and looks a hell of a lot better than the factory splash pan/shield. Need to fab a l/p bracket and call it done.

1395076534040.jpg

I am super pumped about this rear bumper find, fit perfect, has the look to match the rest of the truck, and IMO looks better than the roll pan I bought. Made a l/p bracket that just needs to be mounted and the back is done...

1395076586620.jpg

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  15. oldman2

oldman2

Nice job...Jim

16. Bummer about the glass....not looking forward to that at all! Bumpers look great though!

17. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)I like it too!:cool::D

18. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Going to make it to the Roundup with your truck?

19. shadams

shadams

Nope....almost....even if it was done, we are more looking forward to taking the little turkey to her first car show, so I doubt we will be able to stay the whole day anyway. Besides, that is too big a show for my first outing, something would go wrong, haha. There is a lot of little get togethers around here I can test the waters with, and for sure next year. How about you?

Got the cab corner finished finally, door fits nice. Going to install the bottom cab to running board rubber strips and install the pass running board and thats the last of the body assembly. After that is install glass, exhaust, bedwood, misc trim stuff, tons of adjustments, then electrical and it is ready to rock! Sounds like a lot but after all I have done the rest should be pretty straightforward....I hope...

I'll have some progress pics up this weekend...thanks..

20. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Hey, I can't think of a better car show to take your kiddo to for her first!

I'll be there both days, but no truck.

Looking forward to the updates!

21. shadams

shadams

Completely bummed about missing Roundup......had some family business to attend to so I couldnt go....I am going to take a week off next year and go come hell or high water....

At least I was able to work on the truck today....couple weekends back I finally finished the pass cab corner/pillar. Forgive the fake patina bs but I was trying to at least get it to match the door....I am going to paint this truck eventually, but with a kiddo and the wife wanting another, and some unexpected developments with the family ranch it is going to have to wait...

Anyway, this cab corner has kicked my ass bigtime....cant believe how much work I made for myself by making a small alignment mistake, just goes to show it pays to be patient and do it right the first time..

Also got the under cab/running board seals in, easy and final mounted the running board, man it is solid when all that stuff is bolted together.

[​IMG]

Then I moved inside. Had to reinstall the column and was wanting to seal the hole in the firewall for the column. Made this piece out of rubber that did the trick, not pretty but it is hard to cut thick rubber nicely and it is on the inside anyway under the floor mat, so I am not worried....

[​IMG]

Reinstalled the column and the inside is getting close to completion...I cant believe how bad ass it looks. If you guys like it thats even better, but for me it is bad ass...I have to say though, the steering wheel is a little close, but it will work. I really prefer the stock seat look but I know it would be more comfortable with something else in there.

[​IMG]

Fired it up for the first time in 6 months, was worried about the gas but it started. Ran a little rough, dont know if it is the gas or the timing, but once it warmed up it was good. I took it for about a 5 mile cruise around the hood.....this thing hauls ASS!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really rides good and has a ton of power. There is a little slop in the steering, the gear is the only thing not new or rebuilt on the truck. I have not yet messed with the sector adjustment though, so that might help.

So it was cool as hell to drive it again, next weekend the inlaws are coming by to baby sit so the wife and I can go for our first cruise. It just be around the block but and really looking forward to it...Next up is glass install, then wiring. My dad and I are going halfsies on a new trailer so I am then going to load it up and take it to get exhaust, then we can really drive it, cant wait!!!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  22. Looking good!

23. oldman2

oldman2

Truck looks great, don't worry about the paint, drive it and enjoy your work for awhile...Jim

24. ...next time use your grinder to clean up the edges on the rubber grommet for the steering column, not that it matters much.
    lookin great.

25. shadams

shadams

Yea I used a cutting wheel to cut it and it made the biggest mess and my garage still smells like burned rubber.

26. Truck looks great. I think you did a nice job on the fake patina, too. Little things like that make it much easier to look at before final paint, and if you never paint then it's done! :)

27. shadams

shadams

So we finally got some of the pics back we had taken of the little one and the truck, man they came out bad ass! Here are a few of my favorites so far...

IMG_3983_800x533.jpg IMG_4000_800x511.jpg IMG_4022_433x600.jpg IMG_4043_800x533.jpg

daddio211 likes this.
  28. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Those pics are awesome, man!

29. oldman2

oldman2

You have a right to be proud, sweet little girls, they grow up so fast, enjoy...Jim

30. You're right - those are awesome pics. :) Cherish the time you have with her - they grow up so fast. My "little" girl just graduated from college this weekend!