Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

Thanks Randomrodder. Never assume. I assumed it was a 59 or 60 because it didn't appear to have 58 features like the fake hood louvers. Can't see enough of the trunk to make out if it had the trunk irons. Not unusual for a modified class car to have modifications.

2. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

A couple more .....

Attached Files:

3. swi66

swi66

4. Hometown memories! Johnny Wilson Mercury Edsel and Ramblers, and Asa Smith's Mobil Gas station. The dealership opened in 1956; building is long gone after Wilson moved the dealership to a nearby town and expanded in the early/mid 60s.

But the now-closed gas station is still there and looks much like it did in the 1952 photo.

I grew up a few miles from these places, and went to grade school a few blocks away.

5. Sixness

Sixness
    from Cen Tex

[​IMG]

Wish I had this 1936 Chevy back...!!!

6. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Vintage photos with cars in the photos. Okay, here goes...

[​IMG]
    A few of these CHP Buicks were equipped with McCulloch superchargers.

[​IMG]
    The Farmers Market, Fairfax Ave. and 3rd St., Los Angles, CA.

[​IMG]
    Clark Gable and his Duesenberg.

[​IMG]
    I can still hear that familiar whistle from the "bread truck".

[​IMG]
    The "ridge route" at the top of the hill, Gorman, CA. This is now part of the I-5 going between L.A. and Bakersfield. Whenever it rains in SoCal, it can snow around Gorman (approx. 4,000-foot elevation).

[​IMG]
    A man and his Spyder. Some days you eat the bear and some days the bear eats you.

[​IMG]
    The definition of "T-Boned".
    [​IMG]
    The "other car", driven by Donald Turnipseed. He made a left turn directly in front of Dean, who had the right of way. If this happened today instead of in 1955, Mr. Turnipseed would most likely have seen some jail time for manslaughter.

[​IMG]
    The definition of "cool".

7. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    Yes, there is a Caddy in the photo.

[​IMG]
    Personally, I've always felt that the chrome stripes down the center of the hoods on Pontiacs were a little gaudy.

[​IMG]
    Leonard Slye and his hopped-up Hemi at the Salt Flats.
    [​IMG]
    Walter and Cordelia Knott sold Boysenberry pies to the local motorists in Buena Park, CA, could be the start of a successful small business.

[​IMG]
    "Social Media" in the 1930's.

[​IMG]
    "Cute car, I bet the American's will just eat it up..."

[​IMG]
    Optional A/C.

[​IMG]
    It's not a car, okay? Sue me.

[​IMG]
    Before "Adam-12", there was Adam-2.

8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Jeez, from the looks of it, "Wrong-of-way Turnipseed" was a hot rodder!!! That's yet another reason the accident was unfortunate. Gary

9. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He was probably texting with his old Dick Tracy 2 way wrist radio, oblivious to fast approaching traffic.

10. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right after Deans crash, a promoter had the wreck on display on a flatbed at a car show in Hollywood across from the old KTLA tower.

11. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

[​IMG]

That guy looks like Roy Rogers.

B:)B

12. ttpete

ttpete
    from SE MI

Because that's who he is.........

13. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    This is the direction that Turnipseed was traveling, this was the view out the front window of his Ford. He turned left directly in front of Dean's Porsche coming toward this intersection. Tests show that Dean's car, was traveling slightly above the speed limit (about 70 mph). The crash happened late in the afternoon (around 4:30) and some folks said that the sun might have been in Turnipseed's eyes. That was not possible, he was driving almost due north at the time of the collision. Of course, in those days there were no "turn indicators" on cars so Dean would not realize until too late that the Ford was going to turn left toward the highway to Dean's right.

[​IMG]
    Dean's body being loaded onto the stretcher.

[​IMG]
    Dean stopped for gas along the way. Dean's Ford wagon in the background (driven by Bill Hickman) is pulling the open trailer that was originally intended to get the car to and from the race, but Dean wanted to put some miles on the car before it's first race.

14. Dean stopped for gas along the way. Dean's Ford wagon in the background (driven by Bill Hickman) is pulling the open trailer that was originally intended to get the car to and from the race, but Dean wanted to put some miles on the car before it's first race.[/QUOTE]

Is that the same Bill Hickman who drove the Charger in Bullitt and drove in The French Connection?

15. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that the same Bill Hickman who drove the Charger in Bullitt and drove in The French Connection?[/QUOTE]

Yes it was. Bill was a long time stunt man in and around Hollywood. He did drive the Dodge Charger in "Bullitt" and the Pontiac that Gene Hackman was supposed to be driving in "The French Connection".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Hickman

16. Tango88

Tango88

Talk about Memory Lane! This was taken in Houston and the car began taking shape in the late 50's or so. This old gent managed to accomplish a couple of auto related firsts. Number one...by the time this car was "done", he had affixed virtually everything in the JC Whitney catalog onto his Pontiac...and Secondly...as a buddy of mailman Jeff McKissack who built the bizarre & wonderful "Orange Show" here in town, he helped inspire what is now the "Art Car" movement. If you've never seen the annual Art Car Parade that takes place here, you can't begin to imagine how far people can push the whole concept of transportation as a form of self expression. I am very familiar with the Orange Show & McKissock, having helped him out on a few occasions when I was just a kid on a bike, just wish I knew more about his buddy with the Pontiac. Saw him (and the car) around there a lot and was absolutely dazzled by all the chrome.

Many thanks for the post! And for any hard core motorheads who aren't familiar with the Art Car Parade, which is now connected to The Orange Show, I hope it is OK if I post a link...

http://www.thehoustonartcarparade.com/

Once again, thanks George!

PS...As I recall, he also had a hardtop that was taken to the same extremes.

17. HEMIDAV

HEMIDAV
    from FL.

My mother and 2 of her brothers. Her youngest brother, on the left, was killed when he rolled his '35 Ford cabriolet while on leave.

Attached Files:

18. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Time Traveller
    Yes, that's the same Bill Hickman.

George Klass
    The last words J.D. spoke were "He's gotta see us" meaning Dean knew that Turnspeed was making that left hand turn.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  19. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

20. noboD

noboD

Yes it was. Bill was a long time stunt man in and around Hollywood. He did drive the Dodge Charger in "Bullitt" and the Pontiac that Gene Hackman was supposed to be driving in "The French Connection".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Hickman[/QUOTE]

Didn't he survive another crash in which someone died?

21. fnqvmuch

fnqvmuch

[​IMG]
    FWIW, the above was supposed to have been next to Lil' Bastard on the production line ... re below; Grands Prix were ran anti-clockwise round Albert Park.
    [​IMG]

bramdax likes this.
  22. Bono4783

Bono4783

Ran at Lebanon Valley in the early 70's

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  23. Bono4783

Bono4783

As it sat several years ago.

Attached Files:

24. Bono4783