Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects ***64 wagon build***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ryno, Mar 4, 2014.

1. ryno

ryno

just what i needed, another project.
    this car started out as a quick easy replacement for the 60 kingswood wagon that i originally bought for my wife to cruise a few years back, build thread here:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=474834.
    well that project has gone way off coarse and has since been side lined for way too many years.

i found this car from a buddy in Texas, and as soon as i saw it, my wheels starting turning. i just sold the last project truck, build thread here,: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=612409
    the wagon was a really nice original unmolested vehicle, that didn't last long.

i brought it home and gave it to my wife as an anniversary present with the promise that i wouldn't get too carried away with it ...... well here is the quick build up, slightly off promise, but made a lot safer for the family, and cooler for me to cruise.

i don't have any stock pics, i guess i didn't snap any, or cant find any them as of now. the next day i made a call to ron at kustom car parts, http://kustomcarparts.com/ for some bellflower tips.i decided id re build the front end with new ball joints, bushings, shocks, and chop 1 1/2 wraps coils off the coils to add to the cool factor. also made a call to true spoke for some new supreme wheels and tri bar spinners.

cut coils, bellflowers, true spoke wheels.
    [​IMG]

bellflower mounts fab'd up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

we drove it like this for about a week or so, and then a call to cpp, http://www.classicperform.com/ was made a complete drop spindle disc brake front end kit was ordered up, along with a billet center support bearing, and slip shaft drive shaft. also ordered up some air bag parts and figured mine as well!

cpp parts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Looks great, I am looking at that same booster assembly for a non hamb friendly car, how do you like it, is it installed yet?

I love wagons - cant wait to see more!

3. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

Wow...cool ride, the tires and wheels fit it perfectly.

4. ryno

ryno

stock suspension set up.
    [​IMG]

cpp dropped spindle disc brake kit to fit 14" wheels.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

cool project!

6. ryno

ryno

thanks!
    yes the cpp boosters are pretty straight forward. they have great customer service, and good products. i have used quite a few on other projects also, never any issues.

thank you. the wheels now fit much better with the air bags installed! tucked.

i will update and get this thread caught up soon. off to the shop for now...

7. ryno

ryno

got the front all ready for the disc swap and air bag install.
    [​IMG]

here you can see the angle of the top cup hat.
    [​IMG]

front cups, made out of 4.5 od pipe, 30 degree cut, tallest part is 4.5" i believe, ill have to double check , with that height you should be really close to laying all the way out, depending on if you have other clearance issues and tire height.
    [​IMG]

front shock upper mounts, fab'd out of 2x2 1/4 wall box. shock stud mounted, welded the nut solid after tightening it down and cap it for a cleaner appearance.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

on the bottom i plate the lower arms, you can buy a kit that will bolt on or make up some cups, i have found this to be the easiest and cheapest way. ill try to get all my dimensions gathered up and post them here soon.
    3/16" plate welded to lower arm.
    [​IMG]

finished front end with shocks installed. i use a 33033 shock from oreillys. lower shock mount is drilled through lower arm and mounted with a grade 8 1/2" bolt.
    [​IMG]

abe lugo likes this.
  8. ryno

ryno

i am running air lift dominator 2600 pd bags on all 4 corners.
    lower shock mount is 10" back on the arm from the center of the cross shaft bolt, 1 1/8" down from the top mount plate.

9. very cool to see another 64' chevy fullsize on the road,need to get on mine.

10. Another cool long roof,,I really like it! HRP

11. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Another awesome build!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Soooo Cool. Im kinda partial to these cars anyway.So let me know when its for sale :) Gary

13. ryno

ryno

thanks fellas, ill keep ya posted gary!

14. ryno

ryno

added the inland drive shaft slip joint and billet support bearing that also came from cpp.
    this will help with the issues these cars experience from the extreme arch the rear end travels through its suspension travel when you have adjustable suspension. stock stamped style carriers will not last on an adjustable set up. also installed a new precision #369 u joint
    [​IMG]

replaced the inner and outer tie rods also.
    [​IMG]

back on the ground.
    [​IMG]

15. Boy wish I could get my 1956 buick special station wagon together that fast.I have a buget to stick too.lol.Bruce.

16. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

17. YBNORML

YBNORML
    from canada

Sweet! Nice build.

18. ryno

ryno

thanks fellas.

19. bigpokie

bigpokie

Looks good and fast progress. Did you take pics of how you did the airride for the rear?

20. ryno

ryno

Yes, I'll try to get them posted soon

21. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

With your talent, how long before she gets some flake here, lace there, yada,yada,yada?????

Very nice.

22. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

i wish my wagon was as nice as that one when i started

23. ryno

ryno

well, this car was NEVER supposed to get this far, but to answer you rquestion, just ordered a few different sizes of flake and am hoping to get the roof flaked in the next week or so, im time for the round up.....
    candies and patterns will follow.

yes it was a very solid car to start with.

24. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

Very cool family project! I grew up in a 68 wagon, but it didn't look like that. Congrats!

25. freiertpc

freiertpc

Sweet you have my car! Mines the same color minus the shine 327 turbo fire/powerglide
    someone stole my roof rack when it was in storage stole my back seat oh well they still around I really want mine to be candy Blue with a White pearl roof. The lace and pearl look real nice on those cars.

26. ryno

ryno

thanks fellas.

27. ryno

ryno

the wagon was rolled into the booth today and prepped for some flake..
    [​IMG]

28. Gman0046

Gman0046

Nice wagon. That Inland Empire Driveline carrier is the way to go. Pricey but way better then the cheapo's.

29. 63Compact

63Compact

Here we go again! Nice job so far.

30. ryno

ryno

got the flaked laid down today . big thanks to my buddies at s&s restorations in webb city mo for the help and use of their booth.

sparkle efx flake in 3 different sizes. all mixed in matrix mpb-500 color binder, then dosed in reg clear.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mongo1000 likes this.