Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Are Scallops Good or Are They Bad?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Weezy1930, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

Kicking around the idea of painting black scallops on Weezy. I put some black tape on her for a guess as to how they might look on her. What is the general thought on scallops around here? Are they good? Bad? Traditional?

Do they work on this car?

Also, with the black wheels should I put on the wide '48 Plymouth trim rings with the spider caps, or just run it with spiders only?

All thoughts are most welcome!

Attached Files:

2. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

I like it! Only question is: do YOU? Only other thing to remember is: it's just paint :) Hope that helps!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

I like um !!!

4. Do they work on this car?
    I don't think so...............Scallops are better suited for '50s customs. But don't let that stop you from doing what you like.

5. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I can go either way with scallops. It depends on the overall car but if it's an early style build with a flathead and pretty traditional looking (shortly after the war-early 50's) they make sense. If you start looking through the little pages though scallops didn't end up on many of the street driven hot rods in the later years. In my own personal opinion, I don't like the trim rings on that car, and the spiders and scallops come from two different eras so I would say of you go scallops ditch the spiders. If you decide to keep the spiders I would use a narrower trim ring to keep the wheel from looking so busy. You have whitewalls trim rings and spiders all together it looks cluttered to me. Again this is my own opinion so ignore it or take what you like from it, but know that it's your car and I'm not attacking any decisions you made or will make...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. verde742

verde742

scallops are for customs and east coast thingies.. IMO

7. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

8. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

i almost always hate scallops they look to much like an afterthought. they actually dont look bad on your car though. but if your looking for a little contrast why not just do the beltline in black with some nice pinstriping in a similar color to tie it all together? idk just thinking out loud your car looks great eaither way

9. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

Young'N'Poor,

Thanks for your honest opinion. Your knowledge of eras is helpful. My brother agrees that the rings are too much. I tend to lean towards a simple and clean look too, and you are right that it is getting busy. That's why I want folks' opinion here. Even though there are no rules to building hot rods, some things do just look more "right" than others. Yes, you ultimately must make yourself happy, but opinions from others can help you find your way to being happy with the look of your ride.

10. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

11. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

Why don't you take it to a sign shop that does vinyl lettering and get them to put some tape ones on it,you can run them for a while and when you don't want them anymore they will peel off real easy,just an option if you are not sure?. Harvey

12. finn

finn

Hated them in the 50's and 60's and my opinion hasn't changed, but that's just my opinion. It's your car.

They sort of reminds me of 80's conversion van paint schemes.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  13. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Whatever you decide can always be changed.. Cool coupe...

14. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

Hotrod54Chevy,

Looked at that thread. Steve Caballero's gold 1930 Ford was the inspiration for my scallop idea.:D Those were some nice cars in that thread!

15. Gman0046

Gman0046

Scallops not for thirties cars. As a matter of fact I don't care for them on any car. Just not my cup of tea.

16. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

I wouldn't if it were mine, but, thats me.

17. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

IMHO scallops look good on square cars - late 50's/early 60's sedans or station wagons. 30's cars are too curvy for the boxy edges of scallops.

But that's just me. In the end, it's your car and if they all looked the same....

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I like scallops wrapped in bacon. :D

But not scallops on cars :)

19. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like them but I am probably biased.

[​IMG]

20. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Love 'em or leave 'em.

21. missysdad1

missysdad1

Yuk...IMHO! There are some really, really, really nice traditional hot rods being built these days - check out the recent Roadster Show pictorials here on the HAMB - and none of 'em have scallops.

It's true that there are noteworthy exceptions both today and in the past, but as I see it, there's never been a time limit on bad taste.

Just my $.02

22. Squablow

Squablow

I'm not a fan of scallops unless they're Watson style on a late 50's or 60's car, but your car does look better with the contrasting color to "break it up" a bit.

This is what I would do. Would give a similar effect without mixing era's together.

I kinda like the trim rings and spiders together. Seems like something a guy would do back in the day to simulate chromed wheels if he couldn't afford it, or just for a different look.

23. scallops are great, but most people over cook 'em. Oh you meant on your hooptie, sorry. :eek: :eek:

I think that they are traditional enough, I like them better then flames myself. I would not make then as blocky if they were mione and be sire and piun stripe 'em so they look finished.

As for the rings and spyders, I like my spyders clean personally but they look good with rings as well on someone else's car.

24. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

Verno30,
    Beautiful car! Really love it. I'm looking at running that air cleaner too.

Squablow,
    I do like the black on cream idea. I always liked the two-tone 56 Chevy black/cream paint option. Old Harley Earl was a master.

I'm thinking of doing the fabric top insert in black. The frame will be black as well. I like the cars below:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  25. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Crocus Yellow/Onyx Black, one year only paint combination

26. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

I'm like Beaner and not a big fan of the blocky ones but do like them.
    Pop's 30 has them and I think they fit.
    Of course I'm an East coaster as someone else mentioned. lol

Here are a few not so good pics of the 30.

Attached Files:

27. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are very cool when they are done right!

28. Scallops should be long and thin. I hate short scallops, especially on short cars. The ones I liked best were on a custom blue and white 58 Ford that had dual headlights recessed into cut back front fenders and a dago rake. Had to be about a 59 or 60 timeline as I recall.

29. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Go to your local sign shop or truck lettering place. have them make some up as a vinyl decal, if you don't like them you can take them off.

30. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Those Chrome side rings arent exactly easy to find. I like em!

[​IMG]