Register now to get rid of these ads!

just another shoebox budget build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tedley, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Thanks for your comments. I really don't know at this point where i'm at dollar wise. But it's well under 10k. Being a body man with access to paint shop as well, i saved a ton of money which many don't have that option. I fabbed most of my brackets and didn't farm much out except the back seat and paid a painter to spray the car after i prepped it. Just installing the store bought headliner myself this weekend. Old cars are like an old house. Never finished it seems.

2. Well after hours and hours of tinkering i got the headliner in. Almost. Still a few spots to play with and cover the visors. I let the headliner 'find it's way' and adjust later if it will cooperate.

Attached Files:

3. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Tedley
    That looks awesome! Did you order it from somewhere? How long would you say it took you and what tools did you use? Thinkin about doing mine soon. Thanks

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Can't say how long it took exactly. Maybe 15 hrs, lol. Simple tools and abit of contact weather strip adhesive. Used a bondo spreader for tucking, and a lot of patience.

5. Researching for my newly acquired '49 4-door, so i've just read your entire thread.

Very nice!

Good call on not frenching your headlights - with the paint you've chosen, the chrome rings give some more structure to the front end. I think you would have a "softer", less defined look without the chrome there.

Have to say i was sceptical to the idea of the Vanilla paint, but it looks great. :)

What are the front seats from? Do you have any shots of the rear seat - did you go with the contrasting center strip?

Cheers,
    Bret.

6. Thanks for the interest. That was a lot of reading. about 3 yrs worth to collect here. I have no idea what the seats are out of. Found them locally and happened to have the basic style and color for my budget build. Color choice was difficult to come up with. It had to meet a certain criteria . Things like ease of maintenance for repaints and everyday cleaning, have a vintage look, and suit the cars overall design. I'm not a fan of 'white' in general on old cars but it kinda suits it. Best of all i can drive for days without washing it unlike the polished high maintance black rpu. The rear seat was done to match up the front design basicly. It was not my intention to build a perfect show stopper. Just driver and not concerned about every detail like the little strip going into the seats. It looks ok in my book either way.

7. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Ted
    You don't have to be so humble. You have a cool ass ride that is very classy and classic looking. It's one of the nicest coupes on here.

8. EBW

EBW

Well Said !!

9. Was not my intent to be critical, just curious :D The car is awesome - well designed, practical, full of some great fabrication - and most importantly, it gets ridden hard and put away wet!

10. jerseymike

jerseymike

new avatar, next project?

11. OH i never took it as a critical point of view all. lol. Actually i like it thou when people do if that if it's the intention. Can be very constructive sometimes having another set of eyes and ideas thrown in. After all it's all in the eye of the beholder. I just build what ever pops into my little pee brain and hopes something comes of it.
    Yes Mike, i just don't learn sometimes. I swore the 50 was the last one but like i say to my friends, i have Ford 'iron deficiency' and new new prescription is needed every few years to make me feel better. lol. It's a terminal condition with no cure.One 56 Vicky commin up!!!! That should keep my old heart pumping for a few more years.
    Hey look!! it's already a trailor queen.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  12. Will you be doing a build thread on the 56? Great job on the shoebox.

13. I think i might do another build thread at some point. Weather has to break here thou first.
    Last year when i was cruising i get a lot of 'what year T-bird is that'. Whatever right? My caps had t-bird in them so they thought it was a t-bird. So i added some bullets from night crawlers to cover the 't-bird' in the wheel covers. Looks better to.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  14. Another little detail. Spent some time restoring the 51 Meteor steering wheel. Was in rough shape so I thought i'd tackle it since these wheels are not easy to find. The horn ring was broken off so I had to add some material to fill in the gaps. J-B weld works pretty good.

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      377.9 KB
      Views:
  15. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Still looking good and making me jealous!

16. Have been driving the wheels off this thing and it's so reliable. Knock on wood.I did lose my left frt signal light thou. Traced it back to that cheap after market column switch. Got a gm one off e pay and hope it fits.

17. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Well give us some around town shots!

18. Haven't got many pics but after 2 summers i,m really digging driving this thing

Attached Files:

daddio211 likes this.
  19. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Ya got me droolin'

the cop car's cool too

20. Spent the last couple days reading your build thread ! Awesome car looks amazing Do you remember what blower motor you used that was a inch shorter? Thanks

21. I think it was rear a/c blower out of a newer caravan, maybe 05 or so. Got it from work as i work in a dodge dealership.
    Glad you like my car. I sure drive it a lot.