Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

<a href="http://s614.photobucket.com/user/hotrd32/media/Jack%20Butler%20Collection/HOTROD1_zps968bf070.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. ShastaLake

ShastaLake

I feel your pain....So let start a new list....I'm up to it....Really a list for Vintage shots....

3. NH Gearhead

NH Gearhead

Yeah,I love the pics of vintage life,with cars of course,but without as well.

4. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

I think it has been made pretty clear that there is zero chance of reverting back. There have been some terrific photos posted on the last three pages or so, but somehow some of the fun of the thread has been lost, maybe it's the feeling that many of us are "outsiders," but I find that I am losing interest in offering any comments or additional information I may have on some of the photos. The absence of recent comments by many may be a similar reaction or maybe it is just me. This has been one of my favorite threads ever and I visit it daily but look forward to it a bit less recently, not that it matters.

5. SeaMountain

SeaMountain

You folks that are unhappy need to learn how to search the web!! 99% of the pics posted are already out there....just sayin'

6. Lyndon Baine Johnson?

7. Sal Acardi, Islip Speedway 1/5 mile Drag strip circa 1965.
    [​IMG]

8. [​IMG]
    My wife and I 30 years ago going to a Nostalgia Party. Wish I still had that hair.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  9. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Senator Joseph McCarthy?

10. Bingo. Ol' Tailgunner Joe himself.

11. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

Does anyone know any thing about this car Ol' Rumble Guts. In my youth I used to see it and Jimmy Oddy run at Cayuga Dragway back in the 60's

12. Corn,
    In response to your answer above, this is what you and I discussed in a recent PM. (sorry, there is nowhere else to post a question.)

Please leave this up and not delete it. Everyone is entitled to an answer or the questions will continue as others open the revised thread for the first time.

The Forum Definitions shown below do not jive with the corrections you have made to the "Vintage Shots" thread recently. As follows:

The Vintage Shots thread is in the forum.."Traditional Discussions & Happenings"

The forums have the following definitions? (in the rules)

1. Traditional Hot Rods - The Traditional Hot Rod forum is reserved for threads and posts pertaining to period correct hot rods only. Please use this forum for technical threads, build threads, historical threads, and feature threads only.

2. Traditional Customs - The Traditional Custom forum is reserved for threads and posts pertaining to period correct customs only. Please use this forum for technical threads, build threads, historical threads, and feature threads only.

3. Traditionally "Styled" Hot Rods, Customs, & Production Vehicles - The Traditionally "Styled" Forum is reserved for threads and posts pertaining to cars that might not be "period perfect," but are traditionally styled. This is not a forum for modern street rods, rat rods, or anything else... Please use this forum for technical threads, build threads, and feature threads only.

4. Traditional Discussions & Happenings - This forum is reserved for threads and posts pertaining to event coverage, art & inspiration, and historical threads.
    *There nothing about "Cars" in this definition like the others and the word Historical pretty much covers almost any existing post.

My question is :

The Vintage Shots thread has contained all types of photos that are obviously Vintage, Artsy, Past events are well covered and they are Historic (at least for the most part since it was started). Again, IMHO, the word "Historical" seems cover most of the posts up to now...

So why, is it now being interpreted as Cars only when the forum description doesn't mention Cars of any type? The forum description would seem to allow all thats been posted to date?

Thanks Corn

13. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

Randomrodder do you know if the car is a '59 or '60?

14. Mart

Mart

Even page 1 has a shot of a couple of girls in swimming costumes on a beach. No cars in sight.

I'm missing the diversity of the thread. It was a snapshot into the past. I've learned more about general history from this thread than anywhere. I'd see an interestring photo, and research the subject. Things like the Molasses disaster, the Texas City Disaster, oddball planes, ships sunk in harbours, the list goes on and on. There are plenty of other threads with just cars. This thread must have had 90% car content, but it was that other 10% that gave that extra lift above and beyond the other stuff.

I still follow the thread and contribute when I can, but it has lost that edge that it did have.

Mart.

15. 63 Safari

63 Safari
    from Central VA

Clicks and eyeballs. It's all about clicks and eyeballs. When they gone…

Attached Files:

16. noboD

noboD

The fiberglass body to this car was for sale at Hershey several years ago. Does anyone know where it is now?

17. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

I've seen photos like this of old cars with whitewalls on the inside. Were tires with both sides white available to the public or were they just regular whitewalls mounted that way for a publicity photo?

18. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow. That is just way too cool.

19. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Not sure who he is but isn't that a 42 Olds?

Attached Files:

• 405.jpg
      405.jpg
      File size:
      316.8 KB
      Views:
  20. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Relax guys - Not going to turn into finger pointing on drag cars ( as long as it's with in the Traditional Hot Rod and Custom car era ) or the drama route..........

Look I enjoy the vintage pictures of cars and the life with cars/people back then as well........

Let's Stay on topic

21. Corn,

With all do respect. "Let's stay on topic" is not a sufficient answer because in this sites own forum definition below....the topic isn't clear and "Cars" are not specifically mentioned. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but there is confusion......that continues to raise the question that is in many recent posts.
    Vintage Shots is listed under....
    Traditional Discussions & Happenings - This forum is reserved for threads and posts pertaining to event coverage, art & inspiration, and historical threads.
    There nothing about "Cars" in this definition like the other forums and the word Historical pretty much covers almost any existing post.

Please answer this Question:

The Vintage Shots thread has contained all types of photos that are obviously Vintage, Artsy, Past events are well covered and they are Historic as per the definition (at least for the most part with some exceptions). Again, IMHO, the word "Historical" seems cover most of the posts up to now...

So why, is it now being interpreted as Cars only? when the forum description doesn't mention Cars of any type? The current forum description would seem to allow all thats been posted to date?

22. noboD

noboD

Dual WW's were available for many year to the public.

23. Mart

Mart

This post should stand as a representation of the world in which our beloved old cars and HotRods were used. the pics don't necessarily have to have one in them to represent the world in which they were built and enjoyed.

Ok, I'll give up with my opinions, I am just asking that things be loosened up a little.

Mart.

24. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]

Some of us are trying to keep the forum going.
    I may not have as much content as in the past, but I'm still trying to post items that hopefully will fall within the guidelines.

complaining is not going to help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and vintage tin like this has potential traditional rod written all over it!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. swi66

swi66

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.