Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 Chevy Pickup rear suspension question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sethmark, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Background:
    Have a 53 Chevy pick up with Heidts IFS front. I'd like to get the rear level.... Drivetrain is 350/350/12 bolt .

I purchased a set of Posie springs for the rear which have the offset centering pin and a 3 inch drop. I noticed that the front shackles are shorter than the rear. Any reason to not run them in the rear?

I prefer to avoid the block in the rear if I can. Just offensive to my sensibilities.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  2. ...you should only have shackles in the rear of your spring?...can you be more specific,...any pics?

3. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

You have me confused:eek:, but that's not hard to do.

Your truck should have pockets for the spring eye to nest in at the front and shackles at the rear. Stock shackles are only a few inches long.

4. Lol. Sorry guys. I meant shackles from the original front I beam axle. As it turns out it made zero difference.

5. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393620635.994625.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393620643.554274.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. nice truck!

7. I like the truck....

8. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

I'm curious about the Posies. Did they actually drop the rear 3"? The rear looks to be pretty close to stock height.

So, whadya got against blocks? They are as traditional as Western Auto in the 1950's. A set of 2" blocks would set that rear down real nice IMO.

9. The rear is down more than 3" over stock. The front is down 5" with the ifs but could benefit from a slightly heavier spring to bring it up a hair.

Blocks are traditional and ugly. I will do without if at all possible.

10. shortcut76009

shortcut76009

Traditional and ugly? I think you must be on the wrong site if you do not like traditional... If you want to talk bad about classic history maybe you could find a less traditional supportive site to do it in.

11. What on earth are you talking about? Not liking the looks of a drop block has nothing to do with classic history. I just don't like the looks. There are better ways to skin the cat.

12. rats28

rats28
    from Louisiana

Got the popcorn

13. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

coming right up

14. Shouldn't require much.

15. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

On the serious side, for a "level look" the rear should be 2 inches lower than the front so if you have a 5 inch drop in the front, you'll need a 7 inch drop in the back.

16. You have my undivided attention. Why is that? The bottom edge of fender in the rear sits lower, no?

17. shortcut76009

shortcut76009

Cause the engine weighs more than an empty bed? Maybe?

18. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

The trucks are higher in the back, whether it's a AD, Taskforce, C10 etc........because pickups are generally used for what?
    So a 5 inch drop Front and Rear results in a rake with the front lower than the back. So, in order to make the back level with the front, the general rule is to lower the back 2 inches more than the front.
    It's elementary my dear Watson.

19. These days pickups seem to be used to take moms to the mall around these parts!

20. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

That's the truth

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you just put the springs in, drive it some. Every spring I have ever installed settled a bit. Some settled a lot.

22. set some bags of concrete in the back that will drop it and double as seats!

23. shortcut76009

shortcut76009

You could remove a couple springs.

24. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Yet they make the trucks higher every year- making it more difficult to get
    anything from the bed toolboxes, get in and out etc. My work truck sits higher
    than a 4 wheel drive truck did 10 years ago, and it's 2 wheel drive. My girlfriend has hard time getting into any newer truck (full size) on the pass. side. The older trucks are so much easier to get in and out off, though they
    have much less room once you are in, and don't have the 10 cup holders
    and 6 data ports the new ones have, and you can fix them with a 9/16 wrench
    and a flat head screwdriver for the most part!

25. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Once upon a time the only cup holders was between the drivers legs where you kept your brown bag wrapped beer. By the way, I don't encourage drinking and driving but that's how it was back then.
    Peace

26. JZACK

JZACK

Hey bro if this helps what I did was get a set of hangers from a ford ranger pick up and put them in where I like the ride height. Although they are a bit wider, I also went with a set of s-10 leafs rearched and added a spring. simple and effective and you dont have to worry about the zerk fittings.....