Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1956/57 Lincoln Continental Mark II

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Oct 17, 2007.

1. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

I got some pictures of the '56 I found locally. A restoration was started on it and the guy doing it died so it set outside half sanded down but still seems pretty solid. The bumpers have been rechromed and are wrapped up in blankets inside it. From a quick visual inventory all the trim seems to be there as well as all the interior, there's also an extra set of side windows. It ran when the resto was started about 10 years ago (it only set outside a year), everything under the hood is intact.

I'm looking at getting this and would like opinions on what it's worth (ball park).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. barry2952

barry2952

You could easily part it out for $5K. If the hubcaps are nice they're worth $3-400 ea.

Looks like it might be worth saving, though. They're worth $40-75K done.

3. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I'll bet very few Mark II's went to the junkyard.

barry2952 likes this.
  4. vancec

vancec
    from yucaipa

I'd say basing your decision on a parts inventory is a pretty good idea. Parts for the car are incredibly expensive so if you plan on restoring it you should figure out what's missing now. Barry and I can probably come pretty close to guessing what each part will run.

And as far as going to the junkyard goes, I wouldn't be surprised if the percentage of Mark IIs still on the road vs. the number built was the highest of any car. With as few Mark IIs as the built there are always a couple for sale on Ebay/Hemmings.

5. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Easily one of the best looking cars ever built.
    Your very lucky to have a chance at one. I wouldn’t hesitate a second to do what ever I had to do to get it.
    I seem to remember reading that they were double the price of a Cadillac new.

6. barry2952

barry2952

That is correct. They were $10,800 new w/air. A new Caddy was half of that. To put things in perspective, my folks bought a brand new home in Detroit's suburbs in 1956 for $10,000.00.

These were cars for the leaders of industry and heads of state. Although, one story keeps cropping up about a NYC plumber that walked into a dealership, rolled of $10K in $100 bills, transferred his tools to the trunk of the Mark II and drove off.

7. Your not kidding! With all that lead, they rust like mad. Very difficult to repair, so don't get too excited about one the 'needs some body work' for a good price.

Steve

8. barry2952

barry2952

I disagree. There is virtually no lead in a stock Mark II body. They were made for Ford by the Mitchell Body Company and were of the highest quality.

9. Must have been fifteen years ago I was at lake Tahoe in summer and there was a MKII meet going on - had never seen nor heard of such a creature! I started to buy lotto tix that week hoping hoping hoping

10. PGDredd

PGDredd

I know.......old thread.

Easily one of the best looking cars ever produced, and the build quality that went into making each one was and is unheard of.

Anyone ever stood next to one while it's running? Damn thing sounds like a Rolex, and they drive just as nice. Get one on the highway at about 70+ and it just feels like it wants more...like it's right at home!

Here's the one sitting in my garage. Lower one? Then drive it where? They sit pretty damn low out of the box. I (just as biased as Barry is) also like the "hump" on the trunk. It's one of the most distinctive features. I am as dyed-in-the-wool a hot rodder as anyone here, and there are several cars I'd love to chop and ad some airplane-type power to, but I couldn't touch one of these. Some things I think you can't improve on.

BTW, with correct wheel covers going for about 2K a set these days, these are just what it gets driven with. The originals are stored for shows only.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2013
    biggeorge likes this.
  11. barry2952

barry2952

Beautiful. Can I add the serial number to our database?

12. These are so badass!!! On a higher level than Bill Mitchell's rivieras! If that's even possible!

13. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anyone seen the current commercial for the Lincoln MK-Z? In the beginning, they flash a couple of pictures of a MK II on the screen. I don't see how they expect that to help MK-Z sales.

14. barry2952

barry2952

That was Liz Taylor's Mark II. It was painted to match her eyes. As much as I love the Mark II her beauty far out-shined it.

15. PGDredd

PGDredd

You already have it Barry (#1832, "DkBlueII"). Figured you'd recognize the hubcaps, lol.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  16. barry2952

barry2952

There will be 2 Mark IIs in Pebble this year.

17. Van-go108

Van-go108

Here's my 57'. :cool:

[​IMG][​IMG]

barry2952 likes this.
  18. barry2952

barry2952

I think I've seen pictures of it. Whats your VIN? Just the last 4 digits.

19. Van-go108

Van-go108

C56N3536.... It's in registry Barry. :D

20. These are truly beautiful cars. And expensive to restore. I know where there is one sitting and rotting away but there is no way I could sink the money into it to get it back nice again, so I drive by and watch it deteriorate.

21. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

I had the chance to grab a project car, but I had to many projects already and the bottom 10" of the car were rotten including the bottoms of both bumpers...but it was a complete car. I really would like one, but like 56don said, Im not sure I could afford doing one.

22. barry2952

barry2952

The people that own NPD just restored one. There's 150 pounds of chromium on these cars. That could set you back a bit.

23. Leadsled52

Leadsled52

Here is one I repaired the rust on and painted two years ago.

Attached Files:

biggeorge likes this.
  24. JCsnub

JCsnub
    from California

I think that is a beautiful design, hey guys sorry to sabotage your theard but maybe someone can help me. I have a 1957 Lincoln Premiere 2 door hard top and was wondering what fender skits were used on those cars? I know they didn't have there own fender skirts but seen some pics. on google with skirts on them, don't know if they are Mercury skirts with some modification or what, any help will be appreciated.

25. JCsnub

JCsnub
    from California

Here's a picture of my 1957 Lincoln Premiere.

Attached Files:

biggeorge likes this.
  26. Eric H

Eric H

There is one sitting around here at a small machine shop. He bought it a few years ago out of New York and it is just sitting outside as if its an old topaz. He said he would consider selling it for over $10000. Still a very solid and complete car for now. White on red without AC, looks like it was prob a driver whe parked.

27. Everyone loves these and this thread gets revived every so often yet no one steps up and buys mine. Look for it in the classifieds, killer deal on a 56 project.

28. Wolfman1

Wolfman1

image.jpg
    My Dad picked this one up recently and has started the build

biggeorge likes this.
  29. barry2952

barry2952

Could I trouble you for the serial number. Does it have the 368 Y-block?

30. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Saw this one in today's art show. Greenburg photo.

Attached Files:

biggeorge likes this.