Register now to get rid of these ads!

Termites and Bowties- Early Chevy Group

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29bowtie, Jan 7, 2009.

1. I don't think that we are that regimented that we would keep out any fellow enthusiast of an early GM, that faces the same issues with vehicle construction.

2. Wow wow wow more info (and inspiration )here than anywhere else...you guys are blowing my mind. Going to reread this thread again when I have some time to myself. Here's my '29. Hope to be on the road by summer. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392542564.209109.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392542625.449786.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392542678.566641.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392542731.181056.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Mike, Nice looking 36 Suburban. Would love to see more pics.
    Skippy Craig the trucks coming right along, looks good.
    Stray Bomb Too Cool 29 Chevy project. Good luck with it!
    Tom

4. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

It's great to see this thread rolling again. There is a lot of inspiration here. I'm headed for the shop!

5. Thanks Tfoc,
    I bought the body parts off craigslist for $300 and except for one of the doors, it was wood less. When we started the chop we couldn't get the wood out so just cut through it. A little bit of fire and a lot of smoke filled the garage but boy did it smell good ! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392577442.681839.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392577473.368060.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392577507.906496.jpg

6. Sorry meant to say Tfoch

7. Dugeman

Dugeman

Love this thread. Old chevy's are a bit of work , but well worth the effort. I'm getting ready to chop my 32 coupe 3" in the next couple of weeks . I'll post the progress

8. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

not sure if I posted pics of dad's 31' roadster or not. His first early Chev was in 1958-59 with a 34' 3W. Sold it in early 90s. Over the years we've had approx. 20 early Chevs between us, mostly 31-34.

Attached Files:

9. Don't think Mike wud mind me posting these as I've sent them to him previously. I have a few more of his 'Burban that I took at TRJ Revival, but he can put those up if he wants since it sounds like he needs some practice posting pix.:D:D

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  10. Hey Skippycraig any more pics? What's going on underneath? It's looking real good

11. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

Board tracker progress for the week. Engine and trans are happily mounted in the frame. Dave, (Roadburner1) did some awesome work fabricating the mounts. All the measurements are right on. Tonight I get to cut the firewall for clearance. Gary

Attached Files:

12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That is looking good. Do you have in between pictures? I'd like to see moer detail of the X member you added.

13. 2NDCHANCE,

That's a GREAT start! If you are doing a single seater, you may consider making the frame rails parallel, and moving the springs outside the rails- this will give you a slimmer and lower profile.

14. scotts52

scotts52

I ran across a 1930 Chevy Panel this last week. Looks like someone took the box area off to make it into a flatbed. Luckily the box is sitting in the pile of scrap metal. Don't know when it all happened but was told by the son that dad quit driving it many, many years ago. If the license plate is correct that would be 1949. Most of the wood is still there for patterns except for all the pieces that go across the top. I have pictures but the darned things won't load. Never had this problem before. I can email them if maybe someone else wants to post them for me. Even at that the picture quality stinks. Don't know what happened. Lots of goodies there though. There's another 1929 or 30 sitting next to it that's not so complete. It, I think, was just a 1 1/2 ton. Also found a Star car sawmill. Supposed to make an offer on everything but don't know what it's worth.

15. Would like to know what people are doing for windshield posts when the wood and post covers are gone on the early chevs. Windshield frame gone as well... We got some weird shaped 1x3 going on and may use a model A windshield frame but what have others done? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393288765.820647.jpg

16. Most of the trucks of that era were sold as cowl and hood with chassis. The bodies were mostly built by outside suppliers for custom applications.

17. 3WBill

3WBill

This is the most chevy pictures that I have seen in one place. Count me in with my '36 chev , 3 window coupe. Been collecting parts for 2 years and this is the year we start the actual build. Yup, it's rough all right but I have one and hardly any one else does as there were only 211 , 3 window coupes sold in Canada in 1936. Thanks for looking.
    3WBill

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  18. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Very nice. It is a beauty. I hope you have doors. By the steps on the bumper and finder I assume there is a bumble seat. What are your plans?

19. C-cab dreamer

C-cab dreamer

3WBill just alerted me to this great thread. Haven't got all the way through it yet, but you can bet I will! I got the car from Bill about three years ago, but circumstances prevented me from getting started on the build until now.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  20. 6inarow

6inarow

THAT THING IS COOL!! It is begging for a big inch 6 cylinder......

21. 3WBill

3WBill

Six Ball, I do have the doors but cause it's a chevy, there is no wood left to hold the hinges in the door. The passenger door had no window garnish and that was a nightmare to find. Yes my coupe does have a "stock" rumble seat. So far I have a M2 front end , 700r trans, Disk brake S10 rear end, 350 SBC 300HP and a set of corvette rally wheels, chev tilt steering, aluminum rad etc. Been collecting for the last few years but now its time to start putting it all together. Once I start, there will lots of pics from my build. Thought I would show what my doors are like just in case some one has doors as bad as mine are.
    3WBill

Attached Files:

22. C-cab dreamer

C-cab dreamer

It has all the original running gear...18,246 original miles. Engine hasn't run since about 1960 or so, but the oil in the motor is absolutely spotless!

6inarow likes this.
  23. C-cab, that's a great start!!!

24. C-cab dreamer

C-cab dreamer

Thanks...generally everything is in pretty good shape. The wood...not so much, but I've been a wood guy forever, so that doesn't bother me. Some of the wood is OK to make patterns from, and where it isn't I'm going to use a cardboard template - then make a test piece - and fix it from there.

There's no wood at all left in the roof, but again, I think it's quite possible to make up a few flexible pieces and attach them to a buck. From there, a guy could laminate strips quite easily with compound curves.

I spent a number of years building wooden boats, so now you know why the wood bit doesn't trouble me.

25. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

I haven't posed in awhile so here are a couple shots of what is going on. We are guessing the hood is a 40 Chevy? It's just sitting there for an idea of what kind of shape we want. I need to get the seating arrangement just right. So what kind of seating would be right? Altered mini van bench, bomber seats, school bus bench? Got to keep it simple. Gary

Attached Files:

26. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

3WBill, Wood is what keeps us together, or not. I'd like to see an older style build for the coupe but it's not my call. Glad you have the doors and are doing something with it.

C-cab, Nice '35 I'd like to see that as and early build as well. A 302 Jimmy would be great. These are both very complete Chevys.

2NDCHANCE, Thanks for the pictures. It helps to see what you have done to the frame.

27. 3WBill and C-Cab Dreamer, cool old Chevys from the great white north!

28. We are recreating a really unique 34 Chevy roadster, had to sacrifice a rough 5w coupe. I have left over body parts I'd trade for a transmission and bell housing.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393489913.883445.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393489922.850030.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393489933.577781.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393489943.645521.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393489951.680516.jpg

29. Barn Find- someone opened a thread on that radiator shell earlier this week... I thought it was International... shame on me :D

I will check my 6 cyl stash for that bellhousing as well.

30. stingbean

stingbean

I like the look of the boat tail! Have you ever seen this car? I've had this one in my bookmarks as inspiration:

http://blog.modeljunkyard.com/2012/06/15/meet-two-important-guys-my-son-alex-and-my-friend-theo/

Attached Files: