Register now to get rid of these ads!

We lost a great guy......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stu D Baker, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Just wanted to post a note here to let everyone know we lost a great fabricator. Don Kendall (dkendall here on Hamb) passed away yesterday. There's a note on Cole Fosters Facebook page.

Don built a fabulous Corvair powered T-bucket, that I had the honor of owning for several years. Great car, great fabricator. Don, RIP. Stu

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Holy crap, what happened? I hadn't talked to him in awhile, but he just posted the other day on a thread about his old Corvair "T"!

3. Cole posted o.n FB that it was a sudden thing.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Awe Damn! What a nice guy. I met him this last year at LARS and we had talked a bit back and forth since. Gonna miss him.

5. HammerDown

HammerDown

That's crazy, I was reading that thread and enjoying his comments & knowledge. What a loss. Godspeed...

6. I just was reading that same thread. I thought his T was awesome. Very sad.

7. Me too - was just going to send him a PM about his old Corvair T when I read the post on that thread...very sad, didn't get to meet yet another innovator in this little world of ours who is now gone too soon.

Godspeed Don,

Steve

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Sincere sympathy goes out to his family and friends.

9. I remember the name from the early seventies. Are you talking about the dark maroon "T" with a somewhat stretched wheel base? Tim

10. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

11. RIP there old rodder......wasn't it in RnC ?

12. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Rod Action, November, 1973. Stu

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yes, I'm pretty sure the semi lay down Chrysler big block car ended up maroon at one point. There was a picture of it next to the Corvair car he is most remembered for in the thread from this last weekend.

14. diamond dave

diamond dave

so sorry to hear.i enjoyed reading his posts . I also just posted on the t bucket thread.

15. jhaas63

jhaas63

RIP Don. Thoughts and prayers to friends and his family.

16. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When Don was an Associate member of LAR, card #99.----RIP Don.

Attached Files:

17. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to hear this, my condolences to family.

Doc.

18. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I remember his Corvair powered hot rod when it was new and hadn't thought about it for years. Now, just when it resurfaces on the HAMB in a thread and I get a refresher.................he's gone. My sincere condolences to his family and friends. May he Rest In Peace.

Frank

19. tim o'connell

tim o'connell

so sad and sorry to hear about don's passing . growing up as a second generation street rodder he was another of my greatest inspirations . we used to spend alot of time together back when street rods limited in chicago was alive . one of my most memorable times with don was riding in his first roadster called the "ground pounder" from chicago to the nsra nats in memphis.What a ride !!! rip buddy your talents will surely be missed but not forgotten !!!

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Just found out about this myself. Heartbroken... I really liked that man.

21. DDD: The car in the bottom photo is the one I remember Don for, thanks for posting. Tim

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I was really struck by the fact that he searched out ElPolacko and myself to come and introduce himself to us at LARS. I had never met the man before, but I was well aware of who he was and some of the cars he had built in past years. He ended up hanging out at our spaces for a good hour or so before heading home that Sunday. We had talked a few times back and forth since, but I thought about him Monday when I found the Hop Up article on his little '29 on '32 rails and intended to P.M. him about the windshield frame. Probably should learn not to put that sort of thing off...

23. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

I was around when Don was driving the "Ground Pounder" t roadster (hardly a t-bucket) and met him with the LTD guys when he had built the Corvair powered T roadster. Don was a craftsman and true innovator and as I came to know, a hell of a nice guy. I'm so sorry to hear of his unexpected passing. BILL RINALDI

24. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

What? Aw no man. This sucks! I cant believe it. We spoke for hours at LARS about his roadster and windshield frame. He gave me pointers on how to make one. Such a nice guy.

Attached Files:

25. Yes it is true, Don was a tenant of my dad's and it was he who found him dead in his apartment, my dad is still visibly upset about it.

Don was a creative genius and only recently started to have health issues.

He shared shop space within my dad's machine shop and the '28 was stored on a lift so I was able to walk under it and admire his craftsmanship many times over the years, although many were interested in it, I am proud to say I'm the new owner of the '28 roadster...thanks for posting those pictures 08racer, they are fantastic and I have them saved. ;)