Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects look what I brought home

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by pdunn10, Feb 24, 2014.

1. well, check out what I brought home.
    1931 A chassis, running, stopping, driving.
    Scored 5 original 19" A wheels and rubber
    Along with the 36 wheels that are on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here is the coupe body to go on it.
    [​IMG]

I may need to talk to a few of you guys about a few things like if I wanted to find what would be needed to get me legally on the road. He would not sell me the title Even though I am almost positive the title should go with the chassis.

I finally have something to put my coupe on and have some fun, While I build up my Flathead.

Sad that the truck will be leaving but damn excited about the coupe:D

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2014
  2. [​IMG]

better pic of coupe body

3. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Great model A project! Would love your 3 window, wish we lived closer!

4. Those are 35 wheels. 36 was wide five

5. Thanks, I did not know that

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

X2 here! and me and chevy54man are even in the same state. lol

7. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Yep, '35 was the last year Ford produced wire wheels, and they are 16". Very popular too!

Nice score for a cool project!

8. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

Nice score sweet project.

9. That's B.S. about the title... What kind of shady crap is he planning to do Without the frame with the numbers??

10. henry29

henry29

He probably has the original body to the frame and wants to keep the title with the body.

11. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Could get interesting if you file for a lost title, you got the frame and the numbers, hummmmm getting out the popcorn:D

12. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

HELL maybe it's HOT:eek:

13. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the PO is retaining the title, I strongly recommend you at least get a *notarized* bill of sale. If it turns out the PO is using a title with your frame numbers on it, a notarized bill of sale may help you sort out the situation when you go to title your vehicle.

Of course, it is entirely possible the numbers on the PO's title do not match the numbers on your frame. Frames and engines got swapped out a lot over the years.

Case in point: my brother and I recently bought a '31 coupe. It's titled by the state as a '31, using the engine's serial number--and that engine number date-codes to 1928.

So who knows what numbers are on your PO's title. But a solid paper trail can only help you. Good luck!

14. thanks for the info

I thought the numbers on the frame were near the motor mount but i did not see any there.

15. Also what if I register it before he does with my number for his title? would I be able to have the title associated to my chassis? Leaving him with just a body?

16. 61falcon

61falcon

17. That is the idea! I just got the chassis and know some states are easier to deal with and some harder. I have never had to deal with title issues before.

18. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your frame number is on the upper side of the left/driver's frame rail, underneath the cowl. Sometimes they've rotted away. Sometimes they've been ground off by somebody who wanted to keep their title and not have their frame number floating around out there.

19. Oneshotstriper

Oneshotstriper
    from Indiana

20. olskool34

olskool34

Looks like a nice chassis to start with. As far as the numbers, chassis nunbers a lot of times do not match the engine numbers as stated above. A ton of A's have had their engines replaced. The frame number is usually under where the cowl area is.

21. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

The people in power( PO-PO) can lift the numbers off a frame(even if they have been ground off )if they wish too,

22. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

If the police/high way patrol(if they want to) can lift the number off the frame, even if they have been ground off

23. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

24. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

The frame number is on the left side of the frame just behind the bolt that holds the body down. The body has to be lifted to see the frame number. The number will be on the top side of the frame.

Ford went by the frame number on titles. I just got a 1931 title by having the frame number run thru NM DMV and jumping thru a lot of hoops. My roadster is titled as a 31 ford.

25. did you just go to dmv and tell them you did not have a title? Or file for a lost title?

26. indyjps

indyjps

Yeah be careful, if he retains the title and you don't have one, he can sit back and wait until you finish the car. Call it in as stolen and come get your work. I would file for lost title with that frame number based on bill of sale. You did get a signed bill of sale, right?

27. Sweet !

If anyone wants to check a VIN to see if it's been reported stolen to the National Insurance Crime Bureau here is their link. https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck

(you do not need to register or create an ID, just fill in the VIN fields)

This also works on construction equipment and other 'vehicles' with a VIN.

NOTE: NICB gets their data from several sources, Insurance companies and law enforcement so if someone has a car that was stolen and never reported it wouldn't show up as stolen with this link.

As for the acid test..."Raising" serial numbers is actually simple physics. They use acid to erode the soft metal around the serial number area. having been compressed, The actual numbers are hardened and stronger than the metal around it so the acid takes longer to erode the compressed metal.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  28. classic gary

classic gary

FYI, as an example, here's a pic of the VIN on the frame of my '28. Part of it is under the body.

Attached Files:

29. C-cab dreamer

C-cab dreamer

It has already been suggested that you have a signed bill of sale. If I were you I would also make a note on the bill of sale that the seller has the title but refused to give it to you. Can you at least take a photograph of the title?

If he won't let you do that red flags should be flying. Start your checking right away.

I know we have different rules here in Canada, but I have covered my backside with paperwork when I bought my car. Not that there was a title available, but it's far easier to CYA now than try and do it later.

30. I know he plans to register his body with the title he kept. He is putting the body on a custom chassis.

I wonder what would happen if my number is used by me to re-title my car, then he was to try and use the title to register his.