Register now to get rid of these ads!

Retrosound Radio broke

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jesdude, Feb 25, 2014.

1. jesdude

jesdude

I have had a Retrosound Radio model one B in my truck for a while now and one day the USB mp3 playback just started to malfunction while I was listening to music on it. It said Error 4 and from then on it will not function again. I tried all the things that retrosound told me to correct it and none of them worked and then when I called back to tell them this they basically told me that I would have to buy a new unit. I wanted to buy their newer model for my 53 but now I am definitely having second thoughts since it broke after only 3 years of use and cost me $300!
    The main reason I bought this was so I could load and play my 50's music on demand when cruising and now it's just another fm radio. The fm radio isn't even that good with reception either.

Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it somehow?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  2. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

I've dealt with Retrosound. They are good people. They sent me an upgrade unit for free. Just work with the warranty department, fill out all the paperwork and they will take care of you one way or another.

3. jesdude

jesdude

They won't do that because it's out of warranty. They didn't offer a discount on a new unit either. I thought they might do that sort of as a "brand loyalty" thing. I'm hoping that someone has found a way to fix it on their own.

4. You don't have a lot of choices.... If you want a 'vintage' look radio, it's Retrosound , Custom Auto Sound (who has poor reviews), K & C Harrison for moderate-priced units (but only offers specific-fit units) or Reproduction Radios if you want to spend more. There's also various people offering 'conversions' on existing OEM radios but those are big $$$ too.

The lower-prices units (and I'm sure most of the others too) use integrated circuit devices that pretty much makes them unrepairable, at least at a cost that doesn't exceed their original purchase price.

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Just put a dummy radio or a block off plate on the dash and hide a modern stereo system,those retro systems just do not sound as good as a name brand aftermarket. Here is what I done in my 55 Ford,its a modern stereo in a 8 track player.

Attached Files:

6. chopo

chopo

hidden head unit with a usb port

7. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

It cost Retrosound about $20 to have a unit made in CHINA, you woul dthink they would help you out.

8. jesdude

jesdude

Considering what the PO did, i think i am going to go with a standard modern deck. I wanted to repair the dash and put the retrosound in place of the factory one but i will hold off on that. Besides, a brand new pioneer unit will cost about a third or half as much and have the usb function and sound better than the retrosound.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  9. jesdude

jesdude

Here are the pictures.

Attached Files:

10. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

This, ^^^^^, six years, great sound, gift from friend as he upgraded.

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

As strange as it might sound, 3 years isn't all that bad. We sell stereos at my work, Clarion, Sony, etc, and stereos are one of the highest return items we have. The aftermarket ones are simply not the same as what car manufacturers put in new cars for some reason.

I know you feel they should do more for you, but most manufacturers would do exactly the same thing after that period of time. Just buy a new one and hope you have better luck the next time.

Don

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Put a hinge on the speaker grille and put a stereo behind it then put a block off plate over the radio hole.

13. What about these guys?
    http://www.radiosforoldcars.com/
    There's guys in here who sing praises about this product. I was thinking about going this route when it came time to do the stereo on my project.

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

As suggested, just buy a new one or try another product and move on.

Welcome to the world of modern electronics where most products are considered disposable and non repairable.

A good example, how many radio-TV and other electronics repair shops still exist ?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  15. chaddilac

chaddilac

Once you let the magic smoke out... you can never get it back in there!

Phoenix24 likes this.
  16. EW_

EW_
    from DFW

Maybe the air in Florida causes more corrosion problems to aftermarket electronics, but in DFW, 3 years from an aftermarket deck is abnormally short. Electronics do break. It happens, but I've sold car audio since 1987 and quality car audio products today are the most reliable they have ever been. For radios, I sell primarily Alpine and some Kenwood. Proper installation is the key. We have a very low defect ratio especially when we install the product. When the customer installs it, there is a higher defect ratio (or they try to return a working unit but we bench test them, show them that it is working, and then try to get them to let us install it) because most do not make proper connections and fail to make sure there is a good ground. They think if the deck powers up, everything must be fine. A radio can get enough ground through the antenna connection to power up but it will not really function properly. I have sold some Retrosound products which seem to work ok but I don't think they are the same quality as an Alpine unit. However, that Alpine is not going to fit the way a Retrosound can in an older vehicle.

17. truth

18. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

You are out of your 3 year warranty?

Sounds like you're SOL.

I've dealt with them when something failed during warranty and they've been good about it.

You can't cover stuff forever I guess. 3 years seems fair on electronic stuff.

19. I am currently trying to decide what to do with the radio in my 57 Chieftain. Right now there is nothing there in the dash but I think I will just put one in the glove box as mentioned earlier but I still need to find something to plug the hole in the dash nicely.

20. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I have a radio in my glove box and I hate it! Constantly opening and shutting to fiddle with the radio. I'm looking into the RetroSound radio in the dash.

21. Thats mainly what I am worried about. Most of the time it will be hooked up to an ipod anyway where I can control the track selection and volume but it still can be a hassle.

22. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Yeah, the Ipod might be my next try.

23. I wonder if you can just run a red/white RCA cable from the ipod directly to an underseat amplifier and skip the whole headunit thing. I really dont need the headunit interface.

These Retrosound radios dont seem to be all that great from what I am reading.

24. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I've heard that can be done.

25. bonzo-1

bonzo-1

Ding! Ding! Ding!

We have a winner.

As easy as it gets.

26. After doing more research about it I see a lot of boat guys and recreational vehicle guys that do it this way but it seems like they suggest an audio interface in the middle of it to prevent volume spikes when plugging and unplugging it. I see they are ranging from $20-$300 depending on the amount of features. Your average one seems to be about $60.

Also, it requires running a power switch for the remote wire, which is easy enough.

27. Yes, very easy to do. If you are smart about it, you get the thing that plugs and charges the ipod and a little volume knob hidden somewhere. I can pm parts liay to anyone interested.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. jesdude

jesdude

It had a two year warranty

29. jesdude

jesdude

I still expect a good product for spending $300 on it. And just buying another is EXACTLY the kind of attitude that I don't want to adopt. If consumers don't demand a better product then they won't make it.

30. jesdude

jesdude

My thoughts exactly on that. I want a nice looking complete dash with all it's proper functionality. I will be putting a speaker behind the speaker grill and I will be using the glove box like it should be used.