Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead help.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by chopt49, Feb 24, 2014.

1. chopt49

chopt49

Ok so I am new to the flathead game... (so be nice to me please)

Picked up a few this past weekend. I am building an AV8 frame to drop my '26 roadster on.

First is a 46-48 59A and runs smooth and was in a welder generator its entire life...!

Second is also a runner out of a '53, has spun bearing ($80-150 fix). New carb and 12 volt conversion. Was his daily until bearing issue. Seller states was rebuilt around 6k miles ago.. super clean inside after taken the intake off. Not sure why the bearing spun so soon? 3 speed side shift with one heck of a loooong tail shaft! Is there a short tail shaft that fits?

Ok so my Question(s) to the gurus: Which flatty is best for the AV8 build?

The '46 59A has the fan sitting real low off the crank so is there an easy way to move it up say off the generator/alt location??

Oh I have 40 juice brakes and a '35 banjo going under.. stock A axle with reverse eye spring and small Doane Spender kick up.

Thanks, for any feedback you ca provide..

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  2. I have a 59AB in my 32 coupe and an 8BA in my 36 coupe, they are both the best flatheads to have, but I personally prefer the 59AB but that's just me I just think they look better with the center water outlets and the dissy out front. As far as fan options you can run a generator mounted fan, or you can get the fan hub assembly that bolts on to the same generator mount position. Or 3rd option electric fan but not traditional.

3. hilltopgaragede

hilltopgaragede
    from Delaware

Start with the running engine, then when your on the road you can take time to check out the hurt motor. Both will run on 12v if you use ballast resistor on ignition. Speedway has a fan hub that mounts on a gm alternator and alt bracket. Or similar generator parts are out there. Get the fan assembly, then mount the motor as far forward as possible without hitting radiator. Radiator mounts on top of cross member in stock position on A chassis. Have fun!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

this is the smartest thing to do. either engine is more than enough power for the model a... you need a shoe horn to get it in there. ive built several. i place the center of the engine mount holes exactly 6" back from the center of the radiator mount holes. thats the best location for any flathead.. that leaves a 1.5" gap between the lower radiator necks and the water pumps ( on most typical radiators) that leaves you a hair of clearence for the firewall, and makes nice room for steering and such depending on the box you use.
    hope that helps

5. alchemy

alchemy

The earlier engine is a bit shorter in the fan belt and fan area. Should fit better in an A chassis. Look up the '46-style fan setup and get some of those parts to raise it up. A '39-ish trans will bolt right up to the early block and bolt to the '35 rearend you have.

6. chopt49

chopt49

Thanks guys, keep the info coming.

Looking over the '53 I will need to get new water pumps to mount to the A frame...

Also if I run the 59A with bellhousing cast and get a trans, can that mess with the trans mounts if I later switch to the 8BA?... so maybe just run the 59A and sell off the '53... or horde it for a later build.

Again thanks, lots to learn.

7. chopt49

chopt49

Awesome- thanks!

8. Christom

Christom

I'd stick with the 59a motor - I did for my AV8 build - check it out..

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=781634

Personally the 59a has a nicer old school look to me - especially with open hood sides etc. The later motor seems to be more at home in shoe box era car IMO - but that's just me.
    As for the fan - I'm still not running one at all! :eek: Haven't had a need to yet!

9. hilltopgaragede

hilltopgaragede
    from Delaware

Yep, need earlier water pumps for mounts, 3 speed ford trans will work with either, use 39 trans or there abouts

10. hilltopgaragede

hilltopgaragede
    from Delaware

Torque tube and drive shaft will need to be shortened by about 19"

11. If you are building a traditional car the 59A is the only choice of the two options. I am just getting mine ready to run after a thorough rebuild and have really enjoyed the process.

The one I built was also an industrial engine and ran a pump, it is a 1946-69A (the 6 denoting 1946 in Canada). To keep a long story short I'll say I'd purchased a "running when parked" engine but it wasn't long before it became apparent it was a "not running very well" engine and what started as a "ring & valve job" quickly escalated into a full rebuild.

This engine was probably a great runner before being pulled and left outside but well covered for 10 years in which time our damp climate prevailed and moisture had badly rust pitted a couple of exhaust valve seats that had the valves sitting closed on the seats.

As far as fans go with an AV8 you want to look for a '39 or older generator and fan as the fan is mounted directly to the generator via the fan pulley. As with most old Ford parts theres a variety of options here. I used a '39 unit which has a larger armature shaft diameter. I think you can also purchase a NEW pulley that is ready to accept a fan and that is threaded to spin onto your '46 generator but I'm unsure who sells these nor of the quality. I'll try to add a photo of mine.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  12. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

You will need to use '48 - '52 truck water pumps and bellhousing to put the 8BA engine in your A. I would use the early engine if it's good and a '39 - 52 top loader transmission. You can use the '42 - '48 manifold/fan/gen mount if you use a crab distributor and adapter so the fan doesn't hit the distributor. With this you also would need the '42 - '48 crank pulley. If you are okay with stock exhaust manifolds, the '42 - '48 crossover pipe puts the exhaust pipe in roughly the same position as the Model A parts. Be sure you have enough radiator to cool the V8 . Some early replacement radiators had a hard time cooling the 4 banger. Go for 4 rows of tubes and a 6 blade truck fan wouldn't hurt, either.