Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects **Malcolm Model A Roadster Build**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malcolm, Mar 5, 2011.

1. A simple little change that looks like it'll make a big difference! I like it.

Out of curiosity, where did you source your lunch box latches for the hood from?

2. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

3. Looking very nice - as others have said, didn't give it a thought until the pics. Nicely done!

Hope to catch up with you at the Rodders Journal show unless the grandson's b-day is celebrated that day .... I've put in a request for the b-day to be Sunday so I can at least make the show on Sat ....

4. Nice subtle mod !

5. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Lookin' good Nick! It was good seeing you at the drags, and watching this thing run so strong.

6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Thanks, guys! I also have a pewter SCTA emblem that will go where the Ford script is supposed to be on the grille shell.

They are from McMaster Carr. They actually have quite a few cool latches to choose from:
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-draw-latches/=od6sma

Thanks, Tom -- It was great to meet you on your travels through Nebraska and at the HAMB Drags! Hopefully you can make it to the RJ Revival.

Thanks, Mark -- Great to see you and meet Moose at the Drags, as well!

7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

It just gets better. Your artful eye and attention to detail have set this car among the few. Thanks for sharing this build with those who struggle.
    Glad the tire thing sorted it's self out. It may have just needed to run in a bit.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  8. daddio211

daddio211

Well YOUR summer hasn't sucked! ;)

9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I've been trying to get as much done as I can before heading out to Baltimore next week for the Rodder's Journal Revival. I won't get everything on my list done, but it's mostly cosmetic items.

Last week a water main broke near my house, which undermined the street and part of my driveway. It also washed a bunch of mud and muddy water down my driveway and into my garage and basement. What a fucking mess! The utility company is taking care of the cleanup and repairs. Needless to say, it has slowed down my progress.

I did at least get the dash looking a lot better. It needed a ton of work to fit the cowl better and be ready for paint.

1379345733695.jpg

I also got the grille shell roughed in and will finish the body work on it this week and spray blue primer on it.
    The hood top will get some minor reshaping, too.

1379345854905.jpg

I hope to make a better transmission cover during the next week, too.

10. Looks great!!! I like the changes you have made.

11. Somewhere I missed when you added the blue paint..............or forgot you did it. I just realized.

12. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. Hi , your car looks great! Lots of good ideas.I am installing new rain gutters in the trunk of my 29 roadster and was unable to see if you had lengthened yours out through the new floor .
    Keith

14. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Thanks, Keith!
    Running the rain gutters down through the floor is one of many things I still need to do. I've thought about welding a cap on the end of the factory rain gutters with a round tube on it and routing a rubber hose out the floor to drain the gutters.

15. Thanks , I was thinking of a drain hose also. Keith

16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

It's been a while since I've done any work on the roadster or posted an update here...

So, here are a couple things I've been working on during the past week.

When working towards getting the car on the road during the summer of 2012, I was getting low on funds and went with a rather inexpensive flip-top boat type fuel filler.
    I'd always wanted one that is similar to the old Halibrand type caps, about 4-1/2" in diameter.

I'd looked around a lot, especially at the different caps that Crafty-B makes. While looking around, I found one that a newer HAMB member (OutkastAluminum) is making. We discussed things via email and he had a cap to me within a couple weeks. I'm VERY happy with the quality of it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For a while, I've been wondering what a '32 grille shell would look like on the car. After seeing a '29 roadster at the GNRS that Pinkees is building, I knew I had to try one on for size. I had planned on sectioning one to get the proportions right. While looking for one, Mike Fairservice (ford_mike on Instagram - I can't recall his HAMB name right at the moment) offered up his original '32 shell that was sectioned approximately 6" many years ago. We came to an agreement and he shipped it.

I had to try it on the car right away and I like the new look! I did a little reshaping on the hood top and still have some work to do on it and the sides to get it gapped and fitting correctly, but it's not too far off.

Also switched back to the SoCal Speed Shop headlights.

(headlights need adjusted)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a few other items that I'll be working on during the next couple of months and will post those updates, too.

- Malcolm

spiffy1937 likes this.
  17. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

Dig it Nick!

18. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Cool! The car looked great before but this really sets it off.

19. Looking good! Every little detail makes a difference.

20. Man that looks sweet

21. logride

logride
    from CB IA

Hey Nick,

I like the changes. The 32 grill is timeless.

I keep thinking it needs some engine turning somewhere, awesome work!

22. cory27t

cory27t
    from US

Man that looks great! The grill shell totally changes the whole look of the car. I really dig that fuel cap too.

23. Anderson

Anderson

Gotta say I liked the A shell better, especially after all the fitting you did to it. But this works too. Digging the new fuel filler!

24. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

Looking good nick

25. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

26. Dave50

Dave50

I like it now you can build another car for the 29 lol

27. .

Damn, Nick that looks REALLY good!!!

28. Deadbird

Deadbird

Looks awesome Nick. Let me know if you want to get rid of that Model A shell. Might look good on my Tudor.

29. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Thanks, guys!

30. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Eric, I understand what you mean -- I like both shells on the car, but the '32 just looks a little better to me.

Haha... someday!

Thanks, Lee! I will let you know...

Thanks, guys!