Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Mercury 4-door build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Low-4-Life, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Low-4-Life

Low-4-Life
    from New Mexico

Hello every one from New Mexico the my name is manny

Well I recently bought my wife her dream car a 1950 Merc we originally were looking for a 49 2 door merc but she saw this one i found on craigslist in Dallas TX and fell in love at first sight she loves the suicide doors in the back. well plans are give it a chop top and Chassis wise im just going to update to disk and put drop spindles we will have air ride on it. the rear end will be notched and 4 linked to get her low to the ground, motor wise it still has the original flat head v8 witch i will be swapping out for a crate engine v8 chevy. to my amazement the floor is dammm solid a little sand blasting and man it will be ready honestly. there is no major rust on it i was super surprised but still in the tear down phase so if i find some other then surface rust ill he a happy camper.
    oh as far as work to be done well i will be doing everything minus painting it but everything else is well i guess you can say Manny's Garage Customs lol stay tuned and for you mercury vet builders please don't hesitate to give me you input and knowledge if its sarcastic well i was a Marine so i have heard worse lol thanks and god bless and again stay tuned im gonna be going any chance i get on the car.

Attached Files:

2. Low-4-Life

Low-4-Life
    from New Mexico

Oh my skirts i ordered i dont think there correct i wanted 51 merc skirts but i dont think there correct i got them from big jims skirt depot and there in my opinion not correct what do you think ?

3. good luck,, chopping my 4 dr now..its aliiiiiiiitle bit of work

4. ChefMike

ChefMike

you have your work cut out for you! but in the end it will be one cool ride

5. Low-4-Life

Low-4-Life
    from New Mexico

yah ive done a couple allready but no 4 doors i got the tommy stedmans video on merc 4 door chop and man other then how slow he talks his guidance is dead on. cant wait

6. Low-4-Life

Low-4-Life
    from New Mexico

Yah i Cant wait ChefMike.

7. I will be watching this with interest as I just purchased a four door Mercury Monarch two days ago in good condition apart from the floors and rockers. Good luck, look forward to the updates

8. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Your skirts are similar to 51's but have a different radius on the tops. Are they repop? My buddies monarch skirts were rounded a bit more than a Merc skirt but still not that much. Take your time on the chop and it should turn out great.

9. Low-4-Life

Low-4-Life
    from New Mexico

Right on bro:D

10. Low-4-Life

Low-4-Life
    from New Mexico

Yah bro i figured something was different lol i jumped back online because i ordered them from big jims in TX and to my surprise they sent me the wrong ones. The ones i received were 49-51 ford coup skirts, so today i shipped them back and the 51 Merc skirts will be on there way i should of noticed at first glance, i cant wait till next week when i get them.you live and you learn .

11. Low-4-Life

Low-4-Life
    from New Mexico

Did a little bit more tear down today when i got off work and broke two more bolts, PB blaster did fine on some bolts but only 3 broke goes to show after 60 something odd years there still doing what there made for .

the red merc is not mine its just bad ass inspiration, my moto is with out inspiration comes no dedication. more tear down work to come tomorrow.

Attached Files: