Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Thanx. About the same as a Lotus 7 / Locost roadster. I'd love to get my impending Model A build that light, but I doubt it will be possible. Thanx again, Gary

2. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Originally Posted by mac miller [​IMG]
    1600 to 1700 lb... depending on the engine, rear axle, wheels & tires
    Wt and distribution of the Miller tribute car Mac built for me.
    [​IMG]

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

That's about purr-fect, eh? Nice. Gary

4. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

And now I'm blushing. Gary

6. fl 68

fl 68

Zombified Duck
    Sent you a PM about the photos. Check your mail box.
    Thanks

7. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

8. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

This is Ed Chalik's Kurtis from 1963 ( I think ).

As memory serves me, it only ran one time - at Indy - and Junior Johnson was the driver.

The cage was not a later add-on.

9. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The KK500L was pretty unique, it had ifs/irs and r&p steering.

Attached Files:

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Anybody got more insight/pics of what's up with the swooped out 98?

Attached Files:

11. AugieAscot

AugieAscot

I think that’s just the angle of the camera in relation to the car. The hood is open and it creates the swoopy bodywork illusion. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

12. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Doh! Your right, gotta get me some new specs. :D Being at Indy I guess I jumped to the conclusion they were doing some aero testing or something. Thanks.

13. deuce354

deuce354

I think they might have been doing a Test & Tune on the dirt car , before going to a dirt race. I think Aggie garaged all of his cars at the speedway. It was probably cheap rent. I think alot of teams did that.

14. hopkins1

hopkins1
    from bedford pa

I was told by the guy who runs the photo shop at IMS that the garages were rented by the year . Got a great shot of my dirt car in one with Marshman and Beckley,Jack has a cold one in his hand.

15. Oneshotstriper

Oneshotstriper
    from Indiana

There was an old restored sprint car at the Louisville car show this past weekend. I got a picture of it somewhere......

16. trentesept

trentesept
    from Australia

HOPKINS ONE, do you ,or anyone else reading here ,have the e-mail or the phone number to get hold of the guy who runs the photo archives at IMS??
    Their web page has no information at all unless you want a ticket or a hot dog!!
    Many thanks Greg

17. Bob Cicconi

Bob Cicconi

It was sad to see that Rollie Beale died. When I was young he was one of my heroes that raced USAC sprint cars at Reading, PA. Later, when I raced and he was a USAC official, he was always a friendly, fair guy, and respected by everyone. That really sucks.

18. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

This is several years old but Dave Hilberry used to run the photo shop. Try 317-492-6771

19. the shadow

the shadow

what was the motivation for that engine/trans, was it per the customer or parts availability or fit (size)? Just wondering, it looks good in there.

Paul

20. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

In reference to the 98 dirt car at the Speedway, it has what looks like new body work from the firewall back. Notice high cockpit sides, small opening and laid back small windscreen. First time I've seen that.

21. Bill Chadbourne

Bill Chadbourne
    from Sonora Ca.

Butch: I think what you think is high cockpit sides is the hood standing up. That is the Willard Battery Car that Joe Fiore restored and is in Bruce Kneppa's Museum in Scotts Valley Ca. My good friend Florie Filipitch owned and sold it to Joe.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  22. Beale Bunch

Beale Bunch
    from Toledo, OH

Sadly my grandfather was the first to the car when he wrecked! My grandpa and dad and uncle all talked nothing but the best about him and always said he could have been the greatest ever!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

This photo was actually taking during the first week of Practice in 1963. Ol' Calhoun wasn't quite ready so Aggie had Parnelli run a few laps in the dirt car to "get the rust off" as some publications stated at the time. There were no backup cars in those days but some big name teams actually paid an entry fee for their dirt cars, in part, because that got them an extra garage. And clear up until around 1990 when you paid your entry fee to IMS for the 500 you got to use your garage year round. Tony Hulman went out of his way to encourage this practice in order to help out the teams get to other races. You could go out to the Garage Area just about anytime during the racing season back then and there would be a dozen or more race cars being worked on. For several teams the IMS garages were the only "shop" that they had. And if you had just changed an engine or rebuilt a car after a crash Clarence Cagle would sometimes let the chief mechanic go out on the track to shake it down and check for leaks before towing to the next race. BTW, Rodger Ward also took his dirt car out during early May in 1959 before his roadster was ready. Coincidently, both he and Parnelli won the 500 in the years that they had first practiced in their dirt cars. :)

24. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

I stand corrected, obvious when pic full screen.

25. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

26. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

One of the key factors is that the Nissan exhaust is on the same side as the OFFY. It is a big engine, like the OFFY, and has a major presence in the car..
    It is 400cc bigger displacement than the usual Alfa. It has 40% more torque and HP than the Alfa.
    It is easier to find and cheaper than an Alfa.

For an oval track vintage car, where there is no shifting, an automatic trans. works very well.

Putting the 2litre Alfa in an Indy roadster is like using an OFFY midget engine. It looks kinda small in a roadster.

mac miller in INDY

27. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Hey Guy's I just got a request for any pictures of Scat's #3 from 1964 and up. He's looking for any photos to help with His restoration of it, I know the first 2 shot's are of the 1963 car after Bobby courtwright flipped it at Flemington during the Fair and were posted for reference.......Rich

Attached Files:

28. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

It's interesting that it had 2 different bolt on cages and still retained the roll bar.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Two different frames, first was a Hilligas, I don't know the second pedigree.

30. gearguy

gearguy

We forget just how unusual it is to have a 4 cylinder DOHC motor as large as a 4.4 liter [270 ci] Offy. The biggest contemporary DOHC 4 cylinder I know of is the Chevy "Atlas" motor in the Canyon/Colorado pickup at 2.7 liters [165 ci] & 200 HP. It shares architecture with the 3.5 liter/240 hp [214 ci] FIVE cylinder and 4.2 liter /290 HP six [256 ci]. The sixes were in Envoys & Trailblazers. All three look vaguely Offy-like and are likely to be much less expensive than Corker's revived Leincke six.